• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Remus Full Header cat-free for RTW...then What?

Wethead

What can one expect from a Remus full headers?

Is the tranny oil gonna be cooler cause the cat are not under to fry it?

Is the bike gonna run much leaner, if so...what?

I would expect louder pipes

What happens to the oxygen sensor? Still use it?

Is the gas mileage gonna go down?

How is the air/fuel system going to re-configured to work well with these headers?

In other motorcycles riders usually have to add a piggy (Power Commander) and quite often I hear riders doing dynos to re-map. What does one do on the RTW with this mod?

What can one expect from a Remus full headers?

Is the tranny oil gonna be cooler cause the cat are not under to fry it?

Is the bike gonna run much leaner, if so...what?

I would expect louder pipes

What happens to the oxygen sensor? Still use it?

Is the gas mileage gonna go down?

How is the air/fuel system going to re-configured to work well with these headers?

In other motorcycles riders usually have to add a piggy (Power Commander) and quite often I hear riders doing dynos to re-map. What does one do on the RTW with this mod?

Welcome! There has already been a couple threads regarding this topic in the 'Wetheads' section of the forum here. But I imagine you are still getting your bearings.
It is highly recommended by Remus that you include a fuel management tool when installing their full header system. That being said, they recommend the Booster Plug which is a fairly simple plug & play tool. This will allow your already lean running bike to achieve smoother and better throttle response, as well help prevent backfiring when running an aftermarket exhaust.
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/remus/Products/%22BoosterPlug%20R%201200%20RT%20Liquid%20Cooled%22

Welcome! There has already been a couple threads regarding this topic in the 'Wetheads' section of the forum here. But I imagine you are still getting your bearings.
It is highly recommended by Remus that you include a fuel management tool when installing their full header system. That being said, they recommend the Booster Plug which is a fairly simple plug & play tool. This will allow your already lean running bike to achieve smoother and better throttle response, as well help prevent backfiring when running an aftermarket exhaust.
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/remus/Products/%22BoosterPlug%20R%201200%20RT%20Liquid%20Cooled%22

My understanding is that booster plugs don't work with 1200RT's. The O2 sensor has the final say and the computer will learn around the different interpretation of the air temp sensor. The XiED would be a better choice.

My understanding is that booster plugs don't work with 1200RT's. The O2 sensor has the final say and the computer will learn around the different interpretation of the air temp sensor. The XiED would be a better choice.

Hmm...Why wouldn't the Booster Plug work with the RT? According to ADV Designs in the video below as well as another one they have on their website, it works great in the '14- GS. That's essentially the same engine. I am not familiar with the XiED, but would like to learn about it. Do you have a link?

Hmm...Why wouldn't the Booster Plug work with the RT? According to ADV Designs in the video below as well as another one they have on their website, it works great in the '14- GS. That's essentially the same engine. I am not familiar with the XiED, but would like to learn about it. Do you have a link?

Here are some threads that have some good comments. Pay attention to Racer 7 and Dirtrider and probably a couple others:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=872727

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=862739

Here is it:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html

:eek Wow! Super informative reading there ponch1. I appreciate the links, I learned a lot. I'll go ahead and say after reading thru ever one of those posts....that I will not be purchasing the Booster Plug.
Sadly, based off the final link to BeemerBoneYard...it appears there is no current AF-XiED available for the new wetheads. Am I missing it?

AB

None available through beemer bone yard. You could call them, do an internet search for XiED and find out who makes it or post a question on some boards and find out if anyone has tried it. I bet someone figures it out.

:eek Wow! Super informative reading there ponch1. I appreciate the links, I learned a lot. I'll go ahead and say after reading thru ever one of those posts....that I will not be purchasing the Booster Plug.
Sadly, based off the final link to BeemerBoneYard...it appears there is no current AF-XiED available for the new wetheads. Am I missing it?

AB
The AF-XIED is available for the wethead (same one for the hexhead and camhead) http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1200.html
This version is a little more expensive because you need a device for each O2 sensor.

The AF-XIED is manufactured by Night Rider (http://sales.nightrider.com/) and partnered with Beemer Boneyard for distribution, although can be purchased at either place. I recommend purchasing from Beemer Boneyard and using the BMWMOA discount code for a 10% savings.

I will most likely purchase one for my 2015 R1200RT as soon as it is out of hibernation.

The AF-XIED is available for the wethead (same one for the hexhead and camhead) http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1200.html
This version is a little more expensive because you need a device for each O2 sensor.

The AF-XIED is manufactured by Night Rider (http://sales.nightrider.com/) and partnered with Beemer Boneyard for distribution, although can be purchased at either place. I recommend purchasing from Beemer Boneyard and using the BMWMOA discount code for a 10% savings.

I will most likely purchase one for my 2015 R1200RT as soon as it is out of hibernation.

Much appreciated Jeff. Thank you for the info and links. :thumb

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/blabla.gif Booster Plug

Hi everyone, I took the last half hour to read all that was posted in this thread and also the other threads regarding the booster plug. I would have to strongly disagree with everyones assessment of the booster plugs not working over an extended period of time. This is my second booster plug and I would be very surprised if any of you folks didn't like what it did, not just over short run but also the long run. I installed one on my 2008 GS and noticed the difference right away. Continued to see the performance over the next four years as well. I took a 2012 GS for a ride and noticed the surge/popping right away that my 08 used to have. I was completely resold on the plug again.

I just recently installed my second booster plug on my new 2014 GSA and all I can say is WOW!!! I have the stock exhaust on. I am blown away again and mad at myself for not doing it sooner. I am happy to sacrifice a few MPG's for the smooth delivery & quicker throttle response. My service advisor took my bike for a ride and loved it. His only comment was "Well plugs are going to foul a little more and less MPG's but I would do it on my bike if I owned one!!!!" BTW I installed the plug myself so I didn't pay the service department to do the work.

I recently ordered a full Remus exhaust and received it, but dropped the headers off at the Jet Coaters this morning. I should have them back later in the week then I will install them on my bike at the end of the week.. I'm excited for this transformation will post a pictures and videos when its done.:usa

Hi everyone, I took the last half hour to read all that was posted in this thread and also the other threads regarding the booster plug. I would have to strongly disagree with everyones assessment of the booster plugs not working over an extended period of time. This is my second booster plug and I would be very surprised if any of you folks didn't like what it did, not just over short run but also the long run. I installed one on my 2008 GS and noticed the difference right away. Continued to see the performance over the next four years as well. I took a 2012 GS for a ride and noticed the surge/popping right away that my 08 used to have. I was completely resold on the plug again.

I just recently installed my second booster plug on my new 2014 GSA and all I can say is WOW!!! I have the stock exhaust on. I am blown away again and mad at myself for not doing it sooner. I am happy to sacrifice a few MPG's for the smooth delivery & quicker throttle response. My service advisor took my bike for a ride and loved it. His only comment was "Well plugs are going to foul a little more and less MPG's but I would do it on my bike if I owned one!!!!" BTW I installed the plug myself so I didn't pay the service department to do the work.

I recently ordered a full Remus exhaust and received it, but dropped the headers off at the Jet Coaters this morning. I should have them back later in the week then I will install them on my bike at the end of the week.. I'm excited for this transformation will post a pictures and videos when its done.:usa

I sympathize with your thoughts....I don't doubt that your initial experience was great. What may have happened over time as you became accustomed to your bike may be another story. If you haven't already I highly encourage you to read thru this http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=862739 entire thread that poch1 originally posted. It's a bit overwhelming, at least if you are technically and mechanically challenged as I am.LOL Otherwise it was extremely informative with factual testing to back it up. Otherwise...hey!...if you are happy with your experience with the Booster Plug and feel it was money well spent...at the end of the day that's all that really matters ;)

On another note I am super excited to see your bike with the full Remus system when it comes back from Jet Coaters. I bet that's going to look really sharp!

Once you have your bike, and install the AF-XIED, please let us know what ya think!

Most definitely jeff. I sure will! Should be just after the Christmas holidays.

Cheers,

AB

I've had full Remus systems on my last, and current, boxer and continue to be impressed with their quality, and their sound. And you get a nice weight reduction, to boot.

On the Remus website, their manufacturing and r & d facility look impressive. No affiliation.

Remus

I have full Remus systems on both of my BMWs (R1200 Camhead and K1300GT) with Booster Plugs on both. No issues. I have read the threads here on the topic and I understand what they are saying but if it ain't broke I am not going to start messing with it more. My bikes are running great with no stalling issues anymore on the K1300GT.
But many thanks to the guys putting out all the effort to understand what is happening inside the ECU. Cheers,

You are correct. Boosterplugs don't richen the mixture for long on any bike whose ECU has O2 sensors and mixture adaptation in the ECU. That includes all BMW bikes using Motronic (except R1100 without O2 sensor) and all BMSKs.

(N.B. If you have a boosterplug installed, when you remove it, your bike will run lean for a short time until Mixture Adaptation re-adapts to the removal. This temporary rich-when-you-install followed by lean-when-you-remove is what leads many to conclude there is a permanent effect.)

The mixture adaptation software is specifically there to remove errors of the sort that the boosterplug introduces. Some examples of what gets corrected: sensor errors, fuel pressure errors, injector & air flow errors, fuel ethanol content, etc. If these bike didn't have Mixture Adaptation capability, over time they would pollute more and run worse.

Here is a link to the test, measurement and report: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...and-O2-Sensors&p=916028&viewfull=1#post916028

You are correct. Boosterplugs don't richen the mixture for long on any bike whose ECU has O2 sensors and mixture adaptation in the ECU. That includes all BMW bikes using Motronic (except R1100 without O2 sensor) and all BMSKs.

(N.B. If you have a boosterplug installed, when you remove it, your bike will run lean for a short time until Mixture Adaptation re-adapts to the removal. This temporary rich-when-you-install followed by lean-when-you-remove is what leads many to conclude there is a permanent effect.)

The mixture adaptation software is specifically there to remove errors of the sort that the boosterplug introduces. Some examples of what gets corrected: sensor errors, fuel pressure errors, injector & air flow errors, fuel ethanol content, etc. If these bike didn't have Mixture Adaptation capability, over time they would pollute more and run worse.

Here is a link to the test, measurement and report: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...and-O2-Sensors&p=916028&viewfull=1#post916028

I thought so... Thanks for the reply and clarification. :thumb

It doesn't appear that any of these modifications bring any benefit to the touring mode.

Well, I've considered installing an AF-XiED on my '05 ST because the metering is not spot on. The throttle response is quite abrupt at lower rpms. But the metering on the new liquid cooled boxer may be OK. At least, I didn't notice anything unusual when I demo'ed a GS.

Back