• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing Oil Pressure Relief Valve

jnclem

I’m trying to remove the oil pressure relief valve, the one in the timing chest, on an 89 R100gs. I have been chasing a low oil pressure issue for some time, and I know that sometimes the springs get weak, or occasionally they get stuck.

I have everything apart, but I’m finding that when you back the canister that the spring and plunger live in out, it runs into a stud in the case before you can get it out. I’ve read accounts of other people taking these valves out, and no one ever mentioned this problem, even though just looking at it, it certainly looked to me like you wouldn’t be able to remove that canister without taking the stud out.

Anyway, for anyone who has done this job, did you have to remove a stud from the main case, and if so, how did you do it? I have tried heat, PB Blaster, etc., with two and even three nuts on the stud, but it isn’t budging.

Any information would be appreciated.

I finally got the stud out after several sessions of heating and spraying with PB Blaster. The new spring measures 1.4mm longer than the old one, and feels stronger. Hopefully this was part my oil pressure issue

Back