• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removal of headlight assembly & Cyclops LED lights

acools

Morning!

Spent Sat. removing the failed dipped beam bulb, and replacing the bulb with the set from Cyclops.

I apparently failed to learn from the mistakes of others, and dropped the ring into the light.

I tried magnets (then learned the ring is non-ferrous), then tried a vacuum and moved on to replacing the main beams.
Each time I struggled, I paused and switched back to working on removing the headlights.

I finally found all the hidden screws, and the push pins/clips and removed the headlight entirely.
Knowing where everything belongs made re-assembly naturally much easier.
Ultimately, by Sun. I had the headlight out, got all 3 bulbs in and everything back together (save for the speakers/fairings).

Definitely a challenge (for the mind, and my finger tips) but if anyone has questions or gets stuck, I'm happy to lend my advice.
Will post pictures when I finish the fairings/speakers.

Andres
2016 R1200 RT, Marino Blue

Would wrapping electrical tape, backwards, on a coat hanger have worked in retrieving that bulb? I used that trick on a Freightliner truck for getting a small turn signal bulb out of a sealed housing.

Cheers,
William

I feel your pain.

As you may have read in an earlier post, the same thing happened to me. Fortunately, I had a good set of garage hands. My girls were able to fish it out with a bent piece of wire and using their iPhone camera to look into the gap.
After this fiasco, I ordered the Haynes manual.
The good news is, after securing the ring all future bulb replacements should be much easier.

Would wrapping electrical tape, backwards, on a coat hanger have worked in retrieving that bulb? I used that trick on a Freightliner truck for getting a small turn signal bulb out of a sealed housing.

Cheers,
William

It's not the bulb that was dropped, but rather a ring in which the bulb seats, but I think your trick would also work.
Another idea for the next person to try, before having to dismantle everything...

Andres

As you may have read in an earlier post, the same thing happened to me. Fortunately, I had a good set of garage hands. My girls were able to fish it out with a bent piece of wire and using their iPhone camera to look into the gap.
After this fiasco, I ordered the Haynes manual.
The good news is, after securing the ring all future bulb replacements should be much easier.

Yeah, at my house it went a little differently.
I showed my wife what I dropped, and where it was, and she took it all in and said "good luck" and essentially walked away.

As she walked away, I asked if she wasn't going to help. She told me the longer the bike is apart the better, as it means I'm not riding around.

That being said, I have signed her up for a Basic Rider Course next month through MSF.

Yeah, at my house it went a little differently.
I showed my wife what I dropped, and where it was, and she took it all in and said "good luck" and essentially walked away.

As she walked away, I asked if she wasn't going to help. She told me the longer the bike is apart the better, as it means I'm not riding around.

That being said, I have signed her up for a Basic Rider Course next month through MSF.

All is well that ends well. Sounds like my wife and your wife could be sisters. My wife has no interest in riding in the driver's or passenger's position. When we travel, I ride my bike and she flies to the closest airport. We spend some time together sightseeing with a rental car. When she flies home, I start meandering why way home.

trim clip removal

Hi Andres and members,

I’m reaching out regarding the removal of headlight assembly. I also dropped the base ring into the void. I’ve been unsuccessful in fishing it out and so far been unsuccessful in removing the fairing and headlight assembly.

clip.png

At present I’m struggling with what is described in a Haynes manual as a trim clip – photo attached from the manual. Does your 2016 have these clips? Did you encounter any issues removing this type of clip?
It looks as if the “clip” has a two pieces – I’ll call one the pin and the other the socket
So when I pulled the pin out about an 1/8 – 3/16 “ and then tried to pull more with greater force and it broke ! It seems the socket part of the clip is fused to the body panel, maybe someone glued it? I can’t even seem to get a blade between the socket lip and the body panel.

Any techniques to loosen these parts?

Thanks,
David

Morning,

Mine did indeed! Whether you call them trim clips or push rivets, when the center piece is depressed it expands inside and holds the materials together.

Your picture is showing from inside the speaker assembly, and is attaching the front fairing and the edges of the plastic 'wings' by the mirrors.

The manner in which you took that clip/rivet apart is correct. You pull the center out, and then the entire clip. I was able to re-use all of these for re-assembly but these can also be purchased from your favorite retailer.

You did nothing wrong, now you need to find the trim clips and the retaining clips underneath these fairing panels.

Andres

Back