• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Remote oil filters?

Thanks for the offer Junkle.

I am actually about 50 miles or so from Erie, PA right now. I travel a lot. I bought this rig recently off ebay and it has an old Zephyr sidecar. Real hard to find any info on that as well. I like the idea of a remote mounted spin on filter. I hate to tamper much with the hack mounting as I am in very unfamiliar waters there. It is a massive side car mount. Seems pretty solid. I have put over 1000 miles on it so far. Any one have experience with the Ural sidecar? I really like the way they look and wondered how easy they were to attach to an 82 RT.:bikes

I have a Dnepr (the ugly stepsister of the Ural) on mine. What questions do you have about them (other than mounting as my bike isn't an 82)?

The Russian sidecars have a good nostalgia look about them and they're tough as they are simple. Of course fit and finish isn't quite what you would expect out of a more modern product (though the Urals are light years ahead of the Dnepr in the quality department). They're heavy which makes the rig more stable in right hand turns.

j

Junkle:

What is a good price to pay for a Dnepr sidecar? mounts? subframe, etc?
I have always liked the way they look and see them advertised all the time but was leary of buying one from the Ukraine. I picked up my current 82 R100RT with a Zephyr sidecar. It is kind of strange looking but has a huge mounting system on it. It actually rode pretty good I thought considering no leading link or damper on it. Where did you get your rig from?

Jim

If you have any pics and don't mind emailing them, please send to:

jamesr100@aol.com

Thanks!:bikes

Oil Filter,etc.

Dear Airheads.....

I have heard from some extremely knowledgeable airhead "Guru's" that changing the filter can be extended for quite some time, on a healthy, broken-in engine. I change my oil frequently (2500 mi), but go a LONG time on filter changes.

Sorry so long to reply. It was a busy weekend (Ride For Kids was this weekend for me -- when you get comfortable with driving a sidecar please think about doing this event).

As for prices I really don't know what to tell you. I got a good deal on my sidecar used. I would guess somewhere in the $750-1700 range for a sidecar, I'm not too sure these days. You can get a decent rig for around 4-6k depending on what you are looking for. Dauntless motors sells new Ural sidecars. Dneprworld in Ohio sells Dnepr sidecars. Be warned I have not dealt with Dneprworld and the opinion of him seems to vary widely. You may wish to do your homework before dealing with him if you go that way.

I got my subframe from Dauntless. It was close to $700 but that was several years ago. The cost of everything has gone up so much I would hate to guess what they cost now. Don't be tempted to avoid using one, you must have some sort of subframe to spread the stress of the sidecar since modern frames are not built to withstand sideloads. There are a lot of folks who mount sidecars and build their own subframes. If you go this route make sure the person has some experience. If you were in my area I could give you two names, but I can't help with your location. If you haven't checked out www.sidecar.com you really should. Along with a useful (though sometimes weird) forum they have some free books to download on sidecar safety.

We bought our bike and sidecar separately and had a local guy mount it.

I have some pictures online I just have to dig around and find the URL's. I will post them here when I get a chance. It really isn't anything special, but it is more fun to vacation with than an RV. :)

j

External oil filter on deep sumped '79 R100s

I have an external oil filter on the side hack I just purchased. It is mounted on the front engine cover pointing forwards. I am now looking for the appropriate replacement filter. Hoping K&N stocks it.
All the best to everyone,
Panther650 ( new member)

Dag...damn memory...There was one made sometime back. I had it on my Airhead CS....machined steel filter housing, S/S lines & plate at the old filter location. I mounted mine in the air flow...it used a long or short version of the Fram PH-8-A. I used it together with the deep pan from CC Products. Together it yielded 4? quarts oil capacity. It worked great....easy change , extra oil ....win,win.

If I can think of the name [mfg] I will post it...but yes I liked it !

Ooorrrrrrrr.... you could do the heretical thing that i did... eliminate the exhaust crossovers and trim the lowers so it is Duck Soup to remove a muffler and swing the header up out of the way. this has the advantage of making the exhaust note a bit more distinct and throaty, no loss or shift in power that i can detect with ~70 hp on tap. but my bike has several mods that improve functionality at the expense of OEM design. it makes me happy and that is the bottom line.

-dan

Back