• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recommended Spline Lube for '96 K1100RS?

beemermyke

My son and I will be installing the transmission back in his newly-acquired 96 K1100RS after the previous owner had installed a leaking rear oil seal. What is the recommended spline lube / paste? We can get our hands on some Honda Moly, is that acceptable? I found old posts that were recommending the Guard Dog Moly Grease, but my understanding is that the company went out of business about two years ago, and although Beemerboneyard carries it, their site says it's temporarily out of stock.

If it's Honda Moly 60, that would be great. If you can get a little Wurth 3000 to mix it with, that would be even better.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for the reply, Lee. Further digging found and old post by Paul G, where he was suggesting a 50/50 mix of these two products (and it had a link too, that still shows this product). Gonna have to order some! :dance

Wurth 3000 is usually stocked by industrial bearing supply houses and also Graingers if you have either near you.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
The "Tag Cloud" search feature using moly should lead you to a number of threads
OM

Let me throw a wrench in this all... Just double check that the Honda Moly that you have access to is the "old" Honda Moly 60. The "new" Honda Moly 77 is now a "paste" vs a "grease," so there has been the recommendation to mix it to bring it back to more of a grease. (Which is also probably in the tag cloud that OM mentioned)

Let me throw a wrench in this all... Just double check that the Honda Moly that you have access to is the "old" Honda Moly 60. The "new" Honda Moly 77 is now a "paste" vs a "grease," so there has been the recommendation to mix it to bring it back to more of a grease. (Which is also probably in the tag cloud that OM mentioned)

The last I checked a moly paste by definition contained more than 50% moly solids by volume. Honda Moly 60 claimed to contain 60% moly and thus was also a paste, not a grease.

I thought it dried out too quickly which is why I started mixing it 50%-50% with Wurth Sig 3000 which is a very sticky green grease.

And by the way, that Sta-Lube Moly Grease you can get at Auto Zone or other auto parts stores contains 3% moly which is barely enough to make it black, let alone be of any use on splines.

Back