• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation: Never Leave Home Without?

I always carry a few things:

1. an extra bit of cash, in case I have wallet issues.

2. The emergency key. I recently discovered that if, for example, your key fob stops working due to water immersion, the key fob won't start your bike, even if its in your possession. So, if your fob gets broken (electronically speaking) it won't work like the emergency key does. So, you need to have your emergency key with you.

3. A tire repair kit and pump, at least.

4. I carry tools. I know that many just 'Bring More Wallet' but that is faulty reasoning for my decision making process, even though I have the best towing service that I'm aware of. If you ride in remote areas, you may be waiting for a very long time, in very hot areas, for your tow truck to arrive. YMMV, but I've been involved with blown out tires in a remote, very sunny, and very hot place. My little tarp was very helpful.

5. Shade- a small folding umbrella and/or tarp can go a long way, while you're waiting for a towtruck on a Sunday afternoon, while in the middle of the desert. This is from personal experience in my past.

6. Extra water. See above.

7. First aid kit. Even though I've ridden over 100,000 miles and not needed it, the size/weight are small, and the potential benefits are large.

The rest: Battery jump pack, heated jacket/gloves, GoreTex gear, sunscreen, etc. I also bring a lightweight down jacket, pretty much all the time. Even when it's Summer time. I live in a very temperate area, and have had friends crash due to hypothermia. A soda can sized jacket packs into my panniers with no fuss, so I bring it.

and now a cold pack or sting relief for facial bee marks.

+1 on that!

I got stung in the neck while riding the back roads of NH and when I pulled over, I was about 50 yards from a hunter supply shop which thankfully had bee sting remedy. Since that day I've carried it with me. Even around town.

For bee stings the quicker you remove the stinger the better. Scrape it out with something like a credit card on your skin. If you try to pull it out you could inject yourself with more venom.

I've been stung a few times on the bike, not pleasant.

I pretty much never leave home without my Kermit chair.

Back