• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Entertainment

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
Has anyone heard anything yet about the entertainment lineup for the
2019 National?
This might be a topic for another thread but one of my favourite
bands at any National was Commander Cody and His Lost
Planet Airmen at the rally in Essex Junction, Vermont.
That was the first MOA rally for me and I was impressed with the
entertainment that the MOA provided. Haven’t been disappointed since.

The entertainment is one thing I've always enjoyed greatly, never been disappointed. I read somewhere that Junior Brown played at one rally, I'd have loved to seen that show, one of my favorites.

It would be nice to have a name band, but would the rally budget allow It? Local garage bands are affordable, but you get what you pay for.
What if.......we actually got a name band for the Saturday night, and opened up the gates to local paying concertgoers. Might even turn a profit.

It’s hard to realize how much good talent costs. I will say this, it’s amazing the amount of talent the Entertainment Chair gets for the limited budget that the MOA has budgeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice to have a name band, but would the rally budget allow It? Local garage bands are affordable, but you get what you pay for.
What if.......we actually got a name band for the Saturday night, and opened up the gates to local paying concertgoers. Might even turn a profit.

That might also be a way to expose more folks to the BMWMOA. However, based on having the rally at reasonably low population areas, it wouldn't likely draw enough local attendees to offset the substantially increased cost.

Personally, I enjoy having local bands and giving them some exposure.

Compromise: go for a *regional* band booked on the same date as day passes are allowed.

Best,
DG

Compromise: go for a *regional* band booked on the same date as day passes are allowed.

Best,
DG

Good idea.
Nadas is a popular band in Iowa and they played Saturday at the Des Moines rally.
Other than on the band's website I did not notice this being advertised locally.

All very good suggestions, as the chair of the entertainment committee since 2009 I can assure you each year the rally chairs work their tails off to provide ALL the activities, seminars, vendors, food, etc. along with nightly entertainment. We have presented several well known acts in years past and always try to have a variety of music genres represented for the rally goers. Let's remember we all like BMW motorcycles but we don't necessarily all like the same music. Much of that choice is up to each year's Rally Chair. 2019 being so close to "music city" Nashville, TN influenced the decisions greatly and allowed more freedom in choosing not just country music but all of the choices that were made. The May issue of the ON will have a complete article about this year's bands but here is what I can tell you now.
This year there will be multiple stages set up throughout the rally grounds playing different styles of music each day starting at Noon! The main stage will be in "rally central" and will start Thursday and Friday at 7PM. Saturday at 7:30PM. The main stage line up is:
Thursday:
Iron Horse http://http://ironhorsebluegrass.com/
1Down4UP A killer blues band featuring several MOA members.
Friday:
Mingo Fishtrap https://www.youtube.com/user/mingofishtrap
Paul Thorn Band http://www.paulthorn.com/
Saturday:
Dillon Carmichael https://www.dilloncarmichael.com/
Elizabeth Cook https://www.elizabeth-cook.com/

Other than 1Down4Up all of these bands are Nationally touring acts with years of experience, some well known, some, maybe not. As I am sometimes reminded, this is a motorcycle event, not a music festival. It is our desire to entertain the rally goer and help support the rally in every way. I encourage you to use the links above to learn more about each band, come with an open mind and 2 open ears! See you there!

Lee Harrelson
2019 Entertainment Chair

Life long Nashvillian here.

I just read the list of the bands & no offense to anyone whom is in them, I am disappointed. Nashville is chock full of top tier musicians that play studio gigs and have jam bands on the side. Yet none of them could be found to play the rally? Or perhaps a bigger star whom isn't on the road on that date? Heck, Charlie Daniels lives only 10 miles or so from Lebanon.

Son, I am disappoint................ :confused:

I just read the list of the bands & no offense to anyone whom is in them, I am disappointed. Nashville is chock full of top tier musicians that play studio gigs and have jam bands on the side. Yet none of them could be found to play the rally? Or perhaps a bigger star whom isn't on the road on that date? Heck, Charlie Daniels lives only 10 miles or so from Lebanon.

I do understand the sentiment but do have to say, it is a motorcycle rally, not a music concert. And our rally is not at the Buffalo Chip Campground. :)

I thought Elizabeth Cook lives in Nashville:scratch

Listen to her XM show when traveling on Outlaw Country.

There are artists from Nashville playing. To reiterate the previous comment, it is a motorcycle rally and not a music festival. I do on the other hand hold the music high on my list. But.....as I made a comment before, there is a BUDGET for the entertainment. If anyone wants to get a quote for Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, I’m almost 90% sure the budget wouldn’t allow for it. So the entertainment chair does an incredible job with the resources handed to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nashville is chock full of top tier musicians that play studio gigs and have jam bands on the side.

One year, many moons ago, a dude from Nashville showed up at the Georgia Mountain Rally riding a K-bike.

He opened his side case and removed a perfectly-fitting trumpet that he had custom made.

He joined in with a band led by one of our members and proceeded to tear the house down. Everyone was in awe..... :nod

I think that Chairperson positions for our rally should be open and announced to the membership each year, I think there could be a number of people in our membership with the requisite skills and connections.

jmo

Ian

There are artists from Nashville playing. To reiterate the previous comment, it is a motorcycle rally and not a music festival. I do on the other hand hold the music high on my list. But.....as I made a comment before, there is a BUDGET for the entertainment. If anyone wants to get a quote for Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, I’m almost 90% sure the budget wouldn’t allow for it. So the entertainment chair does an incredible job with the resources handed to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps they could offer ole Vince a ride on a bike in exchange for bringing his back-up group, The Eagles? LOL!

One year, many moons ago, a dude from Nashville showed up at the Georgia Mountain Rally riding a K-bike.

He opened his side case and removed a perfectly-fitting trumpet that he had custom made.

He joined in with a band led by one of our members and proceeded to tear the house down. Everyone was in awe..... :nod

I think that Chairperson positions for our rally should be open and announced to the membership each year, I think there could be a number of people in our membership with the requisite skills and connections.

jmo

Ian

This is exactly what I was talking about. Not all upper tier musicians follow the play-for-pay path. Nor are all the good guys out on the road, many are studio-only.

Back