• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R12RT Low seat conversion

radrider

RadRider
I have an 05 R12RT with the low seat. The newer lowered suspension RT has a single piece low seat. Some of the aftermarket seats like Sargent and Corbin now have these lower seats. Sargent requires adding the mounting brackets of the non lowered suspension bikes and Corbin does not. I was wondering has anyone tried these seats on non lowered RTs. Can you remove these mounting brackets to use the one piece seats. Any ideas??

Low Suspension, Low Seat

I have the 2009 RT with the low suspension, low seat which has the single piece seat. Trust me when I say unless you're planning on only riding about 45 minutes every time you go out, you don't want this seat. There is no padding in this seat to speak of and I find that it also slides you forward so that it makes it a little crowded for the family jewels. I'm definitely going to be changing seats over the winter. I was seriously considering a Sargent World Performance Seat, but the seat price seems a little high to me considering it is not custom made for me and the parts needed from BMW to build a platform for this seat add another $100 or more to the cost. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have a new seat built over the winter and I think I'm going to go with Russell Day-Long for the work. I think in the end it will be a better seat, it will be custom made for me, my satisfaction is guaranteed and it will cost less. Everyone I know who has done business with Russell has nothing but good things to say about the service and the quality of their work. I am worried about being higher up in the seat than I am now, but hopefully I can work this out with Russell when I order. Good luck in your search. Don

I completely agree! I was considering trading for a low suspension model until I test rode one at the MOA rally last July. The seat is very uncomfortable. The reason I was asking is that I saw a new Corbin low version (not that I am very fond of the Corbin saddles) on their website and was curious if they could be retrofitted on a standard suspension RT. I have seen great reviews on Russell and Mayer seats but haven't decided yet. The Sargent low seat I found not a big improvement over the stock low seat.

Low suspesion, low seat

I bought my rt with the low suspension and low seat and believe me it is very uncomfortable. After 45 minutes of riding I couldn't stand the pain. Changed it for the standard front and rear seats with all the parts required for installation. This past weekend I had a trip to the hill country and couldn't believe the difference. One thing I noticed was the farthest back I sat the more comfortable my ride was. If the search is done right you can get the seats for a lot less. Check ebay.

Back