• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250GS on track

I thought an image of the GS on track might add to the story. This is my first attempt at posting an image, so I hope this works.

Attachments

• 4E1CCAE9-BBF2-4DF1-AF72-A311860F562E.jpg
    4E1CCAE9-BBF2-4DF1-AF72-A311860F562E.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 106
Lee, I have SW Motec crash bars. I am a couple of years older than you and only started riding motorcycles 2 1/2 years ago. I would definitely go try a track day. At the novice level you are probably at a greater risk of a serious accident riding to the track. On the 1.3 mile track I did every corner more than 20 times, each time knowing there would be no cars, no sand, and no police. It gives you the chance to gradually build speed and line to expand your personal limits and find the limits of the bike/tires. I would never come anywhere near this on a public road, even if I decided to take the same corner over and over. When you over cook that corner on a mountain road you will have the skill and confidence to get through it.

Now when you get to level 3, blasting around the track on your liter sportsbike, that’s when the risk starts to rise exponentially.

R not GS

My first track day a couple years ago, suspension not set stiff and crap body position. I scraped the peg, center stand, and the engine fairing but never got to the heads…

Enjoy!
4148C24B-0590-4311-A2BF-837C64792442.jpg

Very cool shot. Maybe you get used to it, but right now I find it very unnerving to feel motorcycle parts scraping at full lean. With the taller suspension would a GS have more clearance to the cylinder heads than an S?

. If you have not done a track day you should give it a try. You will learn things you cannot learn on the street without putting your life at risk, and you will have a great time.

That says it all. Every rider should follow that advice. Track days are not about a bunch racer wannabees dragging knees. They are the only place you can safely learn about your bikes abilities allowing you to be a better rider on the street.

That is an interesting thought. But in reality it is the rider. And often owners/riders of sport bikes have more experience pushing the envelope than many GS riders. So experience counts and talent counts and the bike doesn't matter so much, maybe.

Yep. I smoked many a crotch rocket rider in Germany and Italy with my former 1977 R100/7, 1984 R100RS and 1994 R1100RS during my six and half years there while in the USAF. Those two airheads and the European roads turned me into an exceptional rider. Lacking any of the modern niceties of today's bikes, those old airheads made me use proper cornering techniques to make 'em go fast in the twisties. With those bikes, chopping the throttle mid turn to correct speed was not an option. Trail braking was an absolute must as well as strict throttle discipline. Any front brake while heeled over was a big non-no. And you had to plan your acceleration in passing situations to make up for the lack of power. Even with all the power of my 19 1250RT and the plethora of rider aids, I don't think I am much faster than I was then. I am of course older, but the modern aids do reduce the mental effort needed to go fast. Still, somehow it's not quite as satisfying as being in the groove on my old R100RS.r100rs.JPG

Funny Scott. One of the things that caused me to test ride a GS was an experience riding my KTM 790 Duke in the mountains West of Asheville. I was riding at a brisk pace on a very curvy road and I look behind me and see a guy catching me. He was riding a GS with panniers, and his wife on the back. I picked up the pace to stay ahead, but I sure wasn't losing him. That made me rethink my pre-conceptions about the GS, and the knowledge that riding skill counts for a lot more on a motorcycle.

Congrats on a fun day!

My understanding of the dynamic setting is that you will "gain" (not lose to compression) ground clearance, and that using 2-up mode will extend that even more if you ever decide you want more lean angle... (At least, that's with an R, not GS.)

That is correct. On my RT, I can feel the bike raise when I switch it to Dynamic. The difference in handling between Road and Dynamic is pretty substantial...the bike feels like it's on rails.

Thanks for the follow up on the track day and good job on keeping those sport bikes in the rear view mirror! :laugh

Very interesting thread. I have never done a track day and now am getting the itch. Thanks for sharing especially your after action report.

Very interesting thread. I have never done a track day and now am getting the itch. Thanks for sharing especially your after action report.

Be careful. It's very addicting.

Around 2005 I did a 2 day track school at Mid-Ohio on my ZX14. A few months later I had a dedicated GSXR750 track bike, trailer, leathers, stack of tires, etc....

Back