• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT System Case - Hanging Parts Repair

triplethreat719

R1150RT System Case - Multifunction Box Repair

I have a left side system case that doesn't want to securely attach to the rack when locked in place. It appears that one of the latching components at the back of the left side case doesn't fully engage with the rack and once installed, you can pull up on the bottom of the bag and dislodge the bag from the rack.

Are there repair parts available or some repair procedure that I could perform documented somewhere?

Last edited:
The typical problem is that the tongue (that comes up from underneath and grabs the bag mount) is broken. This is part of what's called the Multifunction Box, selling for maybe $125. It comes with the rivets you need to install it. I should make a video of how to change this part.

The typical problem is that the tongue (that comes up from underneath and grabs the bag mount) is broken. This is part of what's called the Multifunction Box, selling for maybe $125. It comes with the rivets you need to install it. I should make a video of how to change this part.

I repair them by tapping the rivet holes 10-32unc on the "multifunction box"
Then open the case holes up to 13/64" for clearance
Secure with 10-32 x 1/2" SS screw combined with a #10 nylon washer for sealing from water ingress.
That makes the assembly easily serviceable in the future,
A while back I documented this with pictures but can't seem to find it now.

The little tongue that grabs the bag mount moves, but it doesn't seem to lock down tightly against the bag mount. When off the bike and in the locked position, I can move that little tongue around. It doesn't seem to lock into position...

Looks like that's what I need to buy... Suggestions for the best place to source the parts?
Individual parts are not available. You can either buy a new multifunction box from BMW or source used.
Part # 46 54 2 307 620
On one I was lucky enough to have both broken parts of the latch tongue and had it welded by an expert aluminum welder.

Looks like that's what I need to buy... Suggestions for the best place to source the parts?

I just replaced the multifunction box on my left system case....snapped the latch after tipping my bike up against the garage wall. I bought the kit from a local BMW dealer for $165 and also had to buy a pop rivet gun (kit comes with replacement rivets). Replacement is pretty straightforward - there is a pdf I downloaded from Max BMW fiche site. Remove lock, drill out rivets, pull out old latch, install new one, pop in rivets and reinsert lock....took maybe 30 minutes. I wish I had thought about GSAddict's use of screws instead of using the replacement rivets...would have saved me the cost of a pop rivet gun!

Last edited:
With a new multifunction box at $125, I don't see a used 'beater' bag with a used 'beater' multifunction box in it being such a bargain.

We need someone to make new tongues so the broken boxes can be repaired. I think Doug Raymond did this a long time ago but it wasn't easy.

I have a left side system case that doesn't want to securely attach to the rack when locked in place. It appears that one of the latching components at the back of the left side case doesn't fully engage with the rack and once installed, you can pull up on the bottom of the bag and dislodge the bag from the rack.

Are there repair parts available or some repair procedure that I could perform documented somewhere?

I just noticed that you were in S/Central Indiana....I'm in Milford ,Ohio....if it's worth the drive over ? I have a beater bag you can have. Scuffed & no lock...but sound.

Made the ride over to Ron's place on Sunday with my 16 year old daughter riding pillion. We had a great day of riding, although it was a bit on the warm side in the afternoon on the way back home. Ron was super nice and provided me with an old bag with a working multifunction box. I hope to get the boxes disassembled this week and get the multifunction box swapped out.

Just wanted to give a special shout out here to Ron for his generosity!

The left pannier on my R1150RT would not lock onto the bike properly, so I started searching for a replacement multifunction box to replace the one in my existing pannier. BMW wants about $165 for a new multifunction box and attachment hardware.

You can see that the locking tab does not pull up all the way when the handles are in the closed position…

28497525454_be8501a8cd_c.jpg

As you can see from earlier in this thread... A fellow MOA member, Ron Prior, offered up a beater bag with a working multifunction box to me. Thanks again Ron!

My daughter and I made a nice ride out of heading over to Ron’s place to pick up the bag.

These 7 rivets need to be drilled out to remove the multifunction box from the pannier.

28497521744_ff4ee0d8dc_c.jpg

In order to ensure that no water leaks into the case, BMW uses closed end rivets with rubber washers on them. The BMW replacement set is around $45 for 7 rivets, 7 washers and the two plastic seals and pins that attach to the metal latches that hold the pannier closed.

The plastic seals and pins can easily be reused. I was able to source 100 closed end rivets from Amazon for $5.92. Here’s a link…

https://www.amazon.com/AB6-6ACLD-MA...D+.250-.375GR,+ALUMINUM/ALUMINUM,+PACK+OF+100

They measure .187 in Diameter and have a Grip Range of .250 - .375 which works out great for this application. They are a little bit larger in diameter than the stock metric rivets, so you have to drill out the holes in the multifunction box and the pannier to accommodate them, but they work great.

I picked up some rubber washers for $1.89 from my local hardware store.

Here’s what they look like…

29086418286_a77c5b2345_c.jpg

29086419906_c3918ebe6d_c.jpg

A couple of shots of the washers…

29086421656_ba587c5ed9_c.jpg

29086423006_cc59e51c0e_c.jpg

29086425006_876f93db11_c.jpg

After drilling out the rivets and removing the pins in the plastic seal, I removed my old multifunction box and then took out my keyset. I placed the keyset into the working multifunction box I got from Ron and set the multifunction box into my pannier. Here is a shot after installing the center rivet. In this picture, you can see that after installing one rivet, I placed all of the other rivets in place to ensure that they would all line up before I fastened the rivets to the case with the rivet tool.

29086426386_f78c65c6b2_c.jpg

Here you can see how much higher the locking tab sits when the handles are closed.

29086430046_f902c36308_c.jpg

Finished up and locked solidly to the bike…

29119306945_9a33cf55b7_c.jpg

29119307875_536205e514_c.jpg

So, what could have cost me $165 ended up costing me a great day of riding with my daughter, meeting a super nice guy, and $7.81 worth of rivets and washers. Plus, I still have 93 rivets left…

26783449825_7c375a7b18_c.jpg

Now for some more trips…

Back