• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT 2004 Power socket - hard to reach!

pdadenmark

My power socket blows a fuse, nr. 3, when I connect it to something. Therefore I want to get a closer look to see if there is a shortcut. But.... how do I screw the big "bolt" behind, which keeps the socket in place, off? There isn't room for a wrench..... and how do I disconnenct the connector? Is it locked somehow? It's probably a routine thing, I haven't found anything about it online. Thanks in advance!

... not a bolt, a nut! English is not my born language..
Can’t help you with your nut attachment issue but I share your ability of constantly calling nuts bolts, much to the annoyance of others, especially one of my sons.

I did have a similar problem trying to work with my small hands behind the unbolted dash of my R1100RT. Figuring I could do damage trying to do what had to be done, I took the bike to my local mechanic who has massive hands. Turns out he did the job without dismantling the dash. I guess his experience and patience were able to do the task that was impossible for me.

Good luck.

Last edited:
When you say "connect it to something", do you mean plug something in from the outside, or connect the socket to the bike's harness?
The terminals from the harness to the socket use direct push-on spade lugs, female on the harness side and male on the socket side. If they're hard to wiggle off, a little spray (with the straw) of WD-40 or silicone will help.

If this the stock connector(s) at the left foot - fuse #3 is 15 amps, so it would seem that you're trying to pull to much current from that socket, which a short circuit, or any low-resistance load ( < 1 Ω ) , will do.

It's the factory sockets on the left side, down by the left foot plate and the fuse blows when I connect something from the outside, even when there is no load. That's why I am guessing the fault is inside the socket. A new one is not very expensive, so if I just could get the connector (and thanks for the explanation) and the darn nut off, my thought was to check it and if the fault is there, change it.

It's the factory sockets on the left side, down by the left foot plate and the fuse blows when I connect something from the outside, even when there is no load.
Remove the foot peg plate, and the wire harness connector to the back of the socket will be revealed and easily reached. Squeeze the sides and pull the connector off of the socket. You can then either replace the socket or use a meter to ohm out the short circuit.

Remove the foot peg plate, and the wire harness connector to the back of the socket will be revealed and easily reached. Squeeze the sides and pull the connector off of the socket. You can then either replace the socket or use a meter to ohm out the short circuit.
👍👍

Back