• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100 changing to an RT

I agree with ya AA...$1300 IS insane, and I actually thot about contacting that seller and expressing that, but...hey, he can ask what he wants for it...I think it's been posted for a coupla months at least...that's the trouble with eBay anymore... used to be you could get some good deals, not too often anymore... folks get on there DAYS before the auction ends, make bids, and pump up the price...I kinda wonder if those guys aren't ringers, actually...

Back to the subject matter...I agree with you, also, AA, that fitting a fairing really IS no big deal...maybe if one isn't mechanically inclined or doesn't have the right equipment, it could be a biggie, but I kinda assume...and maybe I shouldn't...that anybody asking questions here has the horsepower to get it done... and, of course, the FIRST thing one should buy when deciding to work on any vehicle is the shop manual, and the Hayne's manual actually has some valuable info regarding fairings...

The other thing I suggest for anybody considering installing an RS/RT fairing on their naked bike is to make copies of those photos in the eBay ads, store them in your hard drive or outrider, or both, and use them for reference...very valuable resource...

The local airhead chapter in my neck of the woods is quite active and I am lucky to have several RT bikes to check out when I get stumped. One has even removed his fairing, had it painted and re-installed.

Clymer's does a pretty good job of depicting the fairing components. I don't have a Haynes though, maybe better?

I think the toughest parts are getting the spider/frame on straight, routing of wiring and lastly, making the proper extensions to those components that don't exist on a naked (e.g. elongating the ignition/key wires, etc.).

I'm planning on mounting the fairing without the storage compartments and riding is for a while to make adjustments. Then, I'm trying to shave 1/4-3/8" of the outter edges of the storage compartments in order to pull the inner edges off the tank yet not so much that water gushes through in the rain. I never liked the way they rub on the tank and have seen more than a few tanks that were stoved in right at that area from the simplest of tip-overs. I'll install dense poly-foam and a piece of the heavy clear plastic that they use on the leading edge of car hoods.

Yeah, it's a relatively easy job...never thought about leaving off the storage compartments to save the tank...not real sure why they couldn't have designed in a half inch more clearance...I tried to figure out why the square access hole in the lower part of the fairing that is between the upper center part and the louvered section...what does it access? In my case...nothing anymore...I fiberglassed/filled it closed...

Well, in general, I HATE Clymer's manuals...and have ever since the late sixties, so if they are actually doing something right for once...bully for them, thanks, I'll check that out, might be worth buying the Clymer's for just that reason alone! I've always liked the Haynes manual, and in this case, the Haynes manual really does cover some ground not normally covered in shop manuals...plus it's hardback!

Thanks for the headsup, AA, and the good ideas!

RT fairing on R100

I finished mounting an RS fairing on my R80 last summer. Now I have the bike I wanted to buy in 1985! It only took me 11 months and over $2,000 to search out all the parts (several special ordered from Germany), get it painted, assemble the wiring harness the fairing required that the stock bike never had, etc. And a friend sold me the fairing pieces for only $150! Don't underestimate the complexity of this job, I tore my hair over all sorts of problems. I put the Everlast system on my bike faster than I mounted that fairing!

Karen
Phoenix

... Now I have the bike I wanted to buy in 1985! ... I put the Everlast system on my bike faster than I mounted that fairing!

But you have the bike you want. its worth that alone, in my opinion. I sourced an RT fairing in excellent shape with every little nut and bolt put back where they were prior to the PO removing it. I'd love to see a picture of your R80RS...I met a guy in NC who did one.

To be clear, its no easy task but certainly worth it to me. I'm keeping track of what I've had to do, what I chose to do (service items like forks, gators, etc.) and part numbers I had to order. So far, I am into it for under $500 ($325 of that was for the fairing). I'll make my own harness extensions in the proper wiring colors and gauges. The painting I think will be the biggest expense, so I am considering a repaint of the bike to a color I want. I also have a set of lufty tanks and need them to match too.

More later for anyone interested and I'll post pics or a website. :beer

Last edited:
Does anyone know that the rectangular rubber access cover on the underbelly of the main fairing is for? It's about 1.25 x 2.25 inches, black rubber slightly off center towards the left side of the bike. Possibly an access plate for the steering dampner? If so, I'd rather have had an access hole for the oil filter. :bang

Since I don't have a steering dampner, I simply filled the hole with fiberglass and used kitty hair to build, then regular polyester filler over the top, then primed...

I'm just not finding my fairing project to be difficult at all...to be fair, this ain't my first rodeo in terms of restoration/conversion projects, and I'm very well equipped...and I do my own pro-grade finishing and painting, so that's a help... I thought I'd keep a record of the project, but the only pix taken so far were to help me remember where everything went!!

Back