• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R/GS Center Stand Design Issues

racer7

This thread is started specifically to address whether the design of the BMW center stand on current boxers is responsible for the reported failures noted in another thread. My bike is an 08 RT and is the basis of my points here.

I do believe the stand has compromises/weaknesses as built on the RT because it does not follow well understood principles of ideal fastener use. The choices in its design might be made by many but engineers know this design is in fact not ideal.

A handy reference for good fastener practices is Carroll Smith's text on nuts, bolts, fasteners and plumbing (google will pull it up easily). Carroll Smith was a racing engineer who helped put reliability into today's racing machinery. His texts have been the training bibles for many racers for a long time, though they are now somewhat dated (especially on brakes)- but some basics never change. If you were to compare what's in the text to a NASCAR machine, for example, you would see the vehicle adheres almost entirely to the recommended practices. Those old enough will also note that many of the types of failures that plagued racing machinery years ago no longer happen- much of that progress is attributable to proper fastener selection and installation the Carroll describes at length. The text remains the best general education available on fasteners short of those intended for metallurgy professionals.

The basic weakness on the center stand appears to be the very elementary one of carrying a shear load (a cross bolt load) on the threaded portion of a bolt. This is never a great idea because threaded parts of fasteners are weak in shear and ideally should only be subjected to tension loads. A thread subjected to shear (a crosswise rather than length wise load) is much more likely to break than an unthreaded portion of the same bolt due to impacts of the thread forming process on the material, the handy stress crack starter a thread can provide, reduced cross section compared to the unthreaded portion, etc etc. The center stand bolts (on the RT) are M10X30 and threaded for their entire length, a choice that means the head of the bolt can also shear off at a thread (the stand would detach when this happens). The bolt type used is in fact close to the worst possible choice for something that will see shear and should ideally be used only in tension/compression situations.

Where and what exactly is the shear load? The design (RT) works like this. The threaded bolt goes through the stand and through a threaded, collared bushing that carries much of the shear load and supports the threaded bolt at a lot of its length. That's actually pretty good, so far. Specifically, the collared (outside on the RT) end supports shear impacts at that end.
The head of the bolt is another matter entirely- it sits in a recess in the center stand itself and has no additional support at that end. Basically an unsupported threaded bolt head that can see a shear load- far from ideal.

Where does the load come from? Well, first, by nature the center stand cannot be a zero clearance/compression load only on the bolt. It has to have enough clearance to rotate, for example. The fact that clearances must exist ensures that many types of loads will have some sort of shear component and the larger a clearance becomes, the larger the shear load can get (quickly). Clearly a pair of M10s in good shape can support the entire weight of the bike in static shear so we're talking about impact or temporary shear spikes that can start cracks as being the reason for reported bolt failures.

How? A few ideas for this include riding the bike off the stand, twisting the handlebars when the bike is on the center stand (look at stress on the center stand when you do this some time), actual object impacts from off road riding or jumping over obstacles, etc etc. Enough impacts or a big enough one start a crack at a thread near the head and the bolt breaks.

Another way for this system to fail is for a bolt to back out a little, increasing clearance and the potential for shear cracking. It is certainly not good practice to retain a bolt that might see a twisting load (when the stand is used) with only thread locker. In fairness, BMW guys have used the lubed, O ringed bushing to try to isolate the twisting load so it is not transferred to the bolt BUT if the lubrication fails or corrosion starts, a twisting load can end up being carried by thread locker alone. This is no doubt the primary reason that checking "ease of movement" of the center stand is part of the routine 6K service procedure as stated on my RepROM.
Still, it would b a better idea to ensure bolt retention with a washer/ lock nut. Other ways include a roll pin, circlip, or safety wire and ultimately are not as robust a choice.

What about bolt size? IMO, the M10 size is the minimum OK size for normal operation of the RT, a road bike, though the design itself can ask a lot of them in less than ideal situations. I have not looked at the bolt size for a GS but given the intended usage, M12s, better bolt retention and keeping threads at the head of the bolt out of shear would be a better design, IMO.

It is not at all unusual to find bolts used in a less than ideal manner on street machines of all types. Anyone who uses a modified street car in a track situation will encounter many of these choices that need reworking to increase robustness. The designers generally aren't terminally stupid when they make such choices. They are usually done with full knowledge of the tradeoffs and the expectation of a low to zero failure rate in normal use. The driver for the choice is the usual one- cost reduction in labor, parts or both. There are a lot of parts in a vehicle for which cost based choices are inevitable.
Once one has failures, it becomes time to re-examine choices and it is a fact of life that most automotive firms only do this when lawsuits get pricey or legislatures start leaning on them. BMW engineers have only done what many others have done or would do with a similar choice. But because many BMW bikes and cars are used in a "sporting" manner than can inflict unanticipated loads, some of their choices turn out to be "wrong". (In cars, some recent M3s got a well deserved reputation for shearing body welds when their owners used them for track play- something that ought to have been very predictable to the designers of a pricey performance oriented vehicle)

One can imagine boring or substituting the threaded bushing, using M12s and locknuts in an attempt to improve robustness (I haven't verified clearances in the bike hard parts so am not suggesting you run off and do this without more thorough investigation). Whether this or other improvement would be worthwhile depends mostly on how much abuse you might heap on those bolt heads.

Those who want to learn more about the math of shear loads can start with the SHEAR wiki and look at the formulas for beam, semi-monocoque, and impact shear. Not recommended unless engineering math is your thing and you want to plug in the values for the M10 8.8 bolt and estimate various load situations to see what type of margin might result.

At the very least, it is wise to remember that service inspection is REQUIRED by factory procedures and that you might want to touch those two bolts as part of your pre-ride inspection drill to be sure they haven't backed out or had the head crack off.

I only use my center stand in my garage where the bike sits on a turntable that eliminates stand stress caused by handlebar movement. And I don't have my weight on the bike when it comes off the stand, nor do I ride it off, despite the temptation.

Comments???

Why not replace the bolts with ones with an unthreaded shank and threads only at the end where they need to be? I haven't looked at the bolts or measured them, but ....?

That is a possible alternative but the existing bolt is a countersunk head into the side stand. It might be possible to get a longer bolt with a slight unthreaded section at the head end and run it through, though some boring of the bushing might be needed.

If I did that, I'd also swap to a better grade of bolt.

But I don't know if that's enough if abused much- an M10 isn't all that fat for the leverage that can be delivered at the stand bolt.

Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I'm glad I saw this thread. I've used my centerstand more often than not since I got the bike. Most of the time there's no real need to. I think from now on I'll only use it when there's some reason to. In the meantime, I'll check it over tomorrow for any sign of trouble. Maybe I'll rig up a safety wire, too.

I may be in a little better shape, since the Roadster is somewhat lighter than the GS or the RT.

Dave Geyer
Merrimack, NH USA

I'm not thrilled with the wires sodered together beneath my R1200RT, but both sides of the center stand are now prevented from tangling up in the rear wheel assembly should my bolts fail again. Peace of mind.

When I notified BMW (and the NHTSA) of the issue, I received a polite reply from BMW thanking me for my concern, but that no changes were contemplated - they also refused to compensate me for repairs.

I had even suggested to them that they might simply consider a slight modification of the existing mount, where extending the bolt channel a bit and rigging cotter pins on both sides of each bolt would at least retain even broken parts and prevent a catastrophic entanglement when the center stand releases and tumbles back into the FD at 60 MPH. Obviously, having just examined a buddy's 2010 R1200RT closely, that didn't impress them either.

Kevin,
Any idea what use caused the bolts to snap on ours? Twisting or heavy loads of some type?
Or do you think the parts themselves were flawed (apat from the design aspect)

Good schooling:)

I enjoyed reading your long, but good descirpition of this topic at hand. Mine failed on the GSA, a M10 bolt too. I did get complete satisfaction from BMW and a fix, on them. Perhaps my dealer is responsible for this, as they had no hesitation in getting it fixed on BMW's time:). My bike happened to go 58000m, before this bolt failure and many I understand fail earlier too. I was not looking for it to fail, so it was not on my regular service inspect list to do items and I do all my own service. IT IS now on my service list and I have many extra bolts in stock in my garage and will carry two with me on trips. The bolts are very easy to inspect and replace in just a few minutes time. Perhaps a suggested mileage "change out" of these bolts would provide the right answer...Safety wire idea is a good one I would like to see firsthand, maybe a picture? My GSA gets ridden hard offroad and I like safety wire:). Please share this with a picture if possible. RandyGSA1200'07

Kevin,
Any idea what use caused the bolts to snap on ours? Twisting or heavy loads of some type?
Or do you think the parts themselves were flawed (apat from the design aspect)

Actually, both hypothesis are plausable.

I'm no metalurgist, but I suspect the bolts are simply not up to the task.

And, the undercarriage design stresses them too much as well. Incidently, I NEVER ride off the center stand - never will.

Also, any inadvertant twisting of the bike as one raises or lowers it from the center stand creates torque on the bolts, which I think hastens their failure.

But the real villian here is that once the bolts snap, the only thing keeping about 6 lbs. of center stand from tumbling into your rear wheel assembly at speed is the spring that holds it up when not in use, and that's asymetrically mounted, so one end of the stand is still going to reach back far enough to launch you.

Again, some simple re-engineering to 'capture' the bolts with cotter pins would go a long way towards peace of mind, safety and minimized liability for BMW. :deal

Last edited:
replace every?

Mine took 58000m and two and a half years to break and some say theirs broke much quicker around the mid 20000m+ mark. I don't know, but I did buy 4 extra bolts and will change them out from now on, at a predetermined interval I've yet to pick. As I said, the bolts are less than a 5 minute job to get done, even on the road. The CS falling off issue is scary and I may well come up with some kind of insurance, like the safety wire thing, or even some aftermarket springs, as backups to prevent a falling CS as you ride. This should be quite easy to figure out, mounting two extra safety springs and any hardware store sells springs in a ton of varieties. Randy

Back