• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Proposed new Riding Skills Forum section

I vote for the safety/skills/technique forum. I hope it does not turn into into a pro/con ABS and or flip face helmet discussion.

Rod

As an OP on at least two "safety" matters, ("Your speed in the twisties" - campfire; and "ABS questions" - mottorad) I've been very pleased with the thoughtful responses. But I bet that many who would be interested in reading and responding to these posts never saw them. Two different forums that accept topics in the same vein and neither labeled "skills, safety..." doesn't seem the best answer.

Is there no way you can create such a forum and then invite all posters who have submitted threads along these lines to recommend their inclusion under this heading? I'm not suggesting a huge amount of work for the mod's of this new forum, just transferring old threads to a new forum upon request. I would suggest that safety topics never go "out of date."

The last poster feared this might invite new dabate about ABS or helmet types. That is exactly what I hope will happen! You can choose to ignore the topic if it doesn't interest you, or you can have your say if you have something to add.

In short, I expect there is already a lot of "safe riding" advice on this forum but just hard to find. There are also more people like me with good questions who would like answers to their questions - and would also find answers to questions they had never thought to ask.

Powers that be: PLEASE! Isn't a new Forum the right answer?

As an OP on at least two "safety" matters, ("Your speed in the twisties" - campfire; and "ABS questions" - mottorad) I've been very pleased with the thoughtful responses. But I bet that many who would be interested in reading and responding to these posts never saw them. Two different forums that accept topics in the same vein and neither labeled "skills, safety..." doesn't seem the best answer.

Is there no way you can create such a forum and then invite all posters who have submitted threads along these lines to recommend their inclusion under this heading? I'm not suggesting a huge amount of work for the mod's of this new forum, just transferring old threads to a new forum upon request. I would suggest that safety topics never go "out of date."

The last poster feared this might invite new dabate about ABS or helmet types. That is exactly what I hope will happen! You can choose to ignore the topic if it doesn't interest you, or you can have your say if you have something to add.

In short, I expect there is already a lot of "safe riding" advice on this forum but just hard to find. There are also more people like me with good questions who would like answers to their questions - and would also find answers to questions they had never thought to ask.

Powers that be: PLEASE! Isn't a new Forum the right answer?

OK, Back in the saddle. Be patient with me for a bit and I will have some answers for folks soon on this. Thanks... Steve

Steve and other MODS:
Since MC safety is the so called mission of the MOA Foundation, I feel that a direct tie in, with the "foundation" in the moderation and establishment of a "safety/technique" forum may actually HELP the MOA Foundation's efforts.

Over the years since the establishment of the "foundation" it seems they are often floundering around in their actual mission or recognition of their efforts. Recently, the "rider skills" events sponsored by MOA do not give much or any credit to the Foundation. Seems the only real exposure they get is at "Camp Gears" and the MRC/ERC stuff at the nationals.

Perhaps this "safety/technique" forum would be a possible PR source that could easily promote their worthwhile efforts..........just thoughts........Dennis

+1

Get a Foundation label on it.

Workin' on it. This will probably appear first as a member based riding discussion forum. It may seque into a more formal "safety" forum as time passes as long as we can work out the appropriate legal stuff.

I have another aspect of safe riding that fits rather well, which is proper posture, physical exercise, therapeutic exercises, eye exercises etc, all of which do have quite an effect on our ability to ride safely. I think possibly a seminar on this subject would be well received at a rally even. I know have been fighting lower back problems with some highly effective exercises from a PT. For carpal tunnel, I eventually discovered one of my own. Now it is shoulders. So far I do not have one for them, and I am looking.

Rod

Foundation - Safety Forum

The Foundation would be glad to "oversee" such a forum. BUT: we will need someone to step up and assume the role of moderator. There is already way more to get done that our small Board can address, and I dont think any one of our current Board memebrs or advisors has the ability to assume another role. We would be glad to assume some responsibilties for it and to help publicize it as appropriate. Perhaps a Beemerville volunteer ?

I dont get to watch the forums regularly, so email me at ericmsimon@bmwmoa.org if you have suggestions for someone who would be willing to mak ethe committment necessary to be a moderator (or perhaps, co-moderator) of such a safety forum.
-Eric M. Simon, Pres, BMW MOA Foundation

I am glad to see the interest this has generated. Currently the idea and how it might be implemented is being punted around between several groups.

If we do open a forum area, it would have to fall under the same guidelines and moderation as the rest of the forum. Because of that, I see the possibility for 2 distinct entities here, both a forum general riding discussion area and the possibility of a more formal and controlled Internet based Safety area.

I will keep folks posted as to how this develops. Please be patient.

I would suggest that if there are two, the second, more formal NOT be a sub forum here but a different area on the BMW MOA web site.

This will help make clear that there are two different things going on simultaneously.

BTW At the last BOD meeting, there was some discussion of a new, key volunteer position discussed. This was a training coordinator (or title like that). Perhaps the BOD would like to be contacted regarding this new, proposed, more formal, web based training idea?

Thanks to all who expressed an interest in this idea. We have opened a forum named "Just Ridin'" for member discussions of all things relating to riding and operating our motorcycles. This is not a dedicated safety forum per se but an area to discuss all aspects of the techniques of riding.

For those looking for a dedicated Safety forum, there are discussions taking place as to how that might be done, so be patient. But for discussing all aspects of riding this new forum is the place.

Back