• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Proposed new Riding Skills Forum section

E

EXR911

section

To: Forum Liaison/Mods/etc., MOA officials it may concern, etc.,

Last edited:
Something Josh and I have discussed and think would be cool.

What does everyone else think?

To have a new forum section we need to meet 3 basic criteria.

1: Sufficient demand and interest by the membership.

2: Available quailfied moderation.

3: New foum area is compatible with the BMW MOA Forum purpose and guidelines.

I don't see #3 as being an issue. Now we need to explore 1 and 2.

+1 I have really enjoyed reading the "speed in the twisties" thread and would like to encourage similar discussions.

How will the forum mods determine if there's enough interest?

Those knowledgeable in safety to MSF Coaches ought to moderate. It would be nice that those that are print authors but do not frequent the forum could be recruited to come here, even if its just this small area.

I would like to see a summary of the discussion printed in ON, something like........ this is what is happened on the way from the forum. :laugh

Should safety rider equipment be discussed ? Helmets to HiViz or keep it in the Gear Section ?

How about rider health ? Riding in heat to cold etc etc, maybe one of our medical people MDs to EMTs would contribute. And again once enough information is sifted through it can be boiled down to a nice ON article.

Who knows someone could be a Forum Reporter.

Posts regarding riding technique and safety issues get my attention! But good moderators are important as misinformation in these matters can have serious consequences. I agree with Statdawg on that issue. It would be a very well read area. :thumb:thumb:thumb

+1

A skills & tactics area would be the first place I look when I log in. Even before I look for new jokes!

Last edited:
Posts regarding riding technique and safety issues get my attention! But good moderators are important as misinformation in these matters can have serious consequences. I agree with Statdawg on that issue. It would be a very well read area. :thumb:thumb:thumb

Agree that the vetting process on information should come from a reliable source. It sounds to me like it would be a good thing for the MOA Foundation to support as part of their rider safety efforts.

I think it's a good idea, and suggested something similar in the past. However, some people responded that it may not be a good idea since there's no way to make sure misinformation is not spread. To me that is a concern; however, I do not thing a discussion on this forum (or any forum for that matter) would replace a structured learning environment.

I do think it's a good idea to create a place where individuals can discuss riding styles and techniques. This is something we do over coffee, lunch, beer, etc. So why not have a place here?

I have made some phone calls and initial contacts to see how we might consider something like this. Trying to make it reliable and credible rather than just a "chat room" would be worthwhile. This process may take a little while but we are looking into it.

I think it's a good idea, and suggested something similar in the past. However, some people responded that it may not be a good idea since there's no way to make sure misinformation is not spread. To me that is a concern; however, I do not thing a discussion on this forum (or any forum for that matter) would replace a structured learning environment.

I do think it's a good idea to create a place where individuals can discuss riding styles and techniques. This is something we do over coffee, lunch, beer, etc. So why not have a place here?

Agreed structured learning environment is of greatest importance to get the right word out.
let it run...

See whats out there

Steve, as a proponent of the idea, I certainly appreciate that you and others are looking into it.

I find the idea that one or more mod's must find a post "reliable and credible" a little disturbing. In my motorcycling library I find many points where well-respected authors disagree. That is certainly true also of many thoughtful comments in the Campfire thread "Speed in the Twisties."

If this new sub-forum does come to life, I hope there will be room for differences of opinion and each of us can take from it what we think will work for us. Riding safely is ultimately each individual's responsibility - not that of any author, poster, or coach.

One person's "wheat" is someone elses "chaff." Personally, I frequently find a real "nugget" of very useful information in posts I mostly disagree with. Isn't that how the Forum is supposed to work?

I have made some phone calls and initial contacts to see how we might consider something like this. Trying to make it reliable and credible rather than just a "chat room" would be worthwhile. This process may take a little while but we are looking into it.

You can't get there from here. It sounds so wonderful on the surface, the reality is another thing. I have been riding for about 45 years, teaching MSF for about 10 years and I know you could get a handful of rider coaches at the same table and you would not get consensus on different aspects of something as simple and fundamental as the head turn.

The only format that could ever work on a forum is a discussion format where any statement made, only has the endorsement of the person making it.

Personally, I think a linked resource list of excellent books, videos, articles, and classes would serve the purpose better. General discussion on any particular riding technique can then occur in the other forums in a more relaxed environment.

If this new sub-forum does come to life, I hope there will be room for differences of opinion and each of us can take from it what we think will work for us. Riding safely is ultimately each individual's responsibility - not that of any author, poster, or coach.
:bow

If properly formated there will be a welcomed place for the lucubrator to present a contrary opinion among the alleged academia. :laugh

...a handful of rider coaches at the same table and you would not get consensus on different aspects of something as simple and fundamental as the head turn.

Different viewpoints and the civil, intelligent discussions resulting from them are what make discussion forums interesting. I'm all for a new riding skills & techniques section in the forum.

The idea is not for the mods to vet the info here. The mods will simply do here what they do everywhere else on the forum. Try to keep everything organized and civil. I was hoping to find a facillitator with a M/C safety background who could add resource info and content above and beyond the general knowledge of the average rider.

My hope is simply to add something to the area that would make it a better resource for the membership. Whether or not we can do that remains to be seen.

Steve and other MODS:
Since MC safety is the so called mission of the MOA Foundation, I feel that a direct tie in, with the "foundation" in the moderation and establishment of a "safety/technique" forum may actually HELP the MOA Foundation's efforts.

Over the years since the establishment of the "foundation" it seems they are often floundering around in their actual mission or recognition of their efforts. Recently, the "rider skills" events sponsored by MOA do not give much or any credit to the Foundation. Seems the only real exposure they get is at "Camp Gears" and the MRC/ERC stuff at the nationals.

Perhaps this "safety/technique" forum would be a possible PR source that could easily promote their worthwhile efforts..........just thoughts........Dennis

steve and other mods:
Since mc safety is the so called mission of the moa foundation, i feel that a direct tie in, with the "foundation" in the moderation and establishment of a "safety/technique" forum may actually help the moa foundation's efforts.

Over the years since the establishment of the "foundation" it seems they are often floundering around in their actual mission or recognition of their efforts. Recently, the "rider skills" events sponsored by moa do not give much or any credit to the foundation. Seems the only real exposure they get is at "camp gears" and the mrc/erc stuff at the nationals.

Perhaps this "safety/technique" forum would be a possible pr source that could easily promote their worthwhile efforts..........just thoughts........dennis

+1

Steve and other MODS:
Since MC safety is the so called mission of the MOA Foundation, I feel that a direct tie in, with the "foundation" in the moderation and establishment of a "safety/technique" forum may actually HELP the MOA Foundation's efforts.

Over the years since the establishment of the "foundation" it seems they are often floundering around in their actual mission or recognition of their efforts. Recently, the "rider skills" events sponsored by MOA do not give much or any credit to the Foundation. Seems the only real exposure they get is at "Camp Gears" and the MRC/ERC stuff at the nationals.

Perhaps this "safety/technique" forum would be a possible PR source that could easily promote their worthwhile efforts..........just thoughts........Dennis

I think this idea has merit.

I know they have been very helpful to the Chartered Clubs in offering training materials at no cost.

They are very easy to work with and I have nothing but good to say about the Foundation.

Back