• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Owning a 2008 BMW R1200RT - One experience

waxrash

First before I sound like I'm complaining, I love my RT. I have put 50,000 miles on it so far and would not trade the adventures for any amount of money.
Every year I look at new bikes and just can't find anything that suites me anywhere near my RT, not even a new one.

However, BMW ownership comes with a price.

My bike is dealer maintained to factory specs and lives in a garage in a moderate climate in NC.
I could self maintain, but my schedule does not allow, and i want to ride, not wrench.

I ride about 7000 miles per year, slightly less than my riding partners.

I thought I would give a rundown for a new owner to set some expectations with the assumption that my experience is typical.

Basic Maintenance - I spend about $1000/year for scheduled maintenance and tires. A set of tires for me will last 10-11K based on treadwear, but I really start to dislike them around 8K. I plan on a set per year. Some people tell me this is high, but I find they don't ride their bikes nearly as much.

Other repairs - Fuel Strip (20741 miles) under warranty, Brake Line Recall (20741 miles) under warranty, Fuel Pump Recall (50010 miles).

Fatal issues - I have had 4 failures that stranded me.

1) Ignition switch had to be replaced at 25956 miles. $294.61 (luckily at home, so I trailered to dealer)
2) EWS Ring while in Erie PA. Had to call tow truck, but after the bike cooled it started and I rode to repair. Repaired under warranty.
3) Final Drive while in Brevard NC at 36169 miles. Out of warranty, BMW helped cover cost. I paid $900. Plus an all day towing experience with AAA, family and friends to get home.
4) Fuel Pump Controller failed at 49997 miles in Brevard NC (What is it with Brevard?). UHaul and Gas $400, New Controller $150. Yes I have AAA but I only have 100 mile coverage so it was AAA to Asheville, hotel till tuesday, or $600 is mileage overage to home. UHaul was just so much quicker and no missed work.

I can't say if I am typical, but this is my experience.

Now would I buy the RT over again? Yes I would.

Would I recommend one?
To someone established in their career with disposable income? Yes.
To someone younger, recently married, having kids, getting started in life with tight income? No.

If you lump all this together, include the amortized cost of the bike, fuel, and do the math it costs me about $4000 to ride my 1200RT for a year.

I am about to jump on it again for a 7000 mile coast to coast trip, and it's more fun than I can explain, so don't hesitate, just go in eyes wide open.

Others can chime in as to whether this is typical.

If you are thinking about buying a used RT, I'd recommend a couple of items.
1) Spare EWS Ring and tools and knowledge to connect it.
2) Fuel Pump Controller bypass cable (burnsmoto or make one) and knowledge to connect it.
3) Towing coverage. Within 500 miles of home I typically skip the towing and use my own resources, it's just faster, but outside that, towing can be very expensive.

A good write up.

BMW motorcycling--like owning a Porsche, Mercedes, BMW car, etc.--is a bit expensive.

Being a motorcycle doesn't make it any different, except maybe even more expensive, as bikes are for sure entertainment and there's little practicality involved.

Thanks for sharing....

Thanks for sharing your bikes history lbarbee but I sure hope my 2012 RT's history @ 50K miles will be better than yours. It appears that all four failures of your bike have been addressed with updates or revised parts on the later versions of the RT. It is a shame that BMW's quality control had slipped so badly. Do you think the later RT versions will be less troublesome? At 25K miles my L hand switch cluster (Hazard Warning) has been on order for a couple weeks under warranty.

That is it tho, fingers crossed.

It is a pretty darned good bike, tho.

Typically the last year before a design change is best. But no matter what, twist the throttle and enjoy it. Good luck with it.

I too love my o8 RT

I was stranded a couple times for the same reasons. I also learned never to trust the fuel guage. I only use my trip meter, when I see 200 miles I am looking for the nearest gas station. Running out of fuel on a motorcycle can be very dangerous.

I'm usually not a big pass a bunch of laws guy. But I like some rule that says if a non-wearable part fails on more than 10% of units sold, the manufacturer will replace at their cost. Basic manufacturing quality and process control norms say you you have a manufacturing defect. Note fuel strips, final drives, fuel pump controllers.

Thanks for the comprehensive writeup. I also have a 2008 RT, but have not had a failure that left me stranded beside the road. My final-drive failure was discovered during maintenance by a master technician who knew the subtleties.

I agree it's expensive, but in relative terms, the ROI is psychic and really unexplainable to those who aren't willing to understand. I looked at the new RT today, and putting aside the initial cost, the additions that would make it fit my 6'4"/34-inseam, 37-sleeve length body would cost me a whole lot more.

I'll stick with the 2008 model, my old friend in the motorcycle world.:thumb:thumb

I am with you brother, my tall Corbin seat, peg lowering kit and bar risers don't transfer. Just don't want to buy it all over again and a 6'6" guy can't survive at stock configuration.

Exgman if you still have the original fuel pump controller, I would either replace it, or get a burnsmoto jumper. No fun when it dies on you.

First before I sound like I'm complaining, I love my RT. I have put 50,000 miles on it so far and would not trade the adventures for any amount of money.
Every year I look at new bikes and just can't find anything that suites me anywhere near my RT, not even a new one.

However, BMW ownership comes with a price.

My bike is dealer maintained to factory specs and lives in a garage in a moderate climate in NC.
I could self maintain, but my schedule does not allow, and i want to ride, not wrench.

I ride about 7000 miles per year, slightly less than my riding partners.

I thought I would give a rundown for a new owner to set some expectations with the assumption that my experience is typical.

Basic Maintenance - I spend about $1000/year for scheduled maintenance and tires. A set of tires for me will last 10-11K based on treadwear, but I really start to dislike them around 8K. I plan on a set per year. Some people tell me this is high, but I find they don't ride their bikes nearly as much.

Other repairs - Fuel Strip (20741 miles) under warranty, Brake Line Recall (20741 miles) under warranty, Fuel Pump Recall (50010 miles).

Fatal issues - I have had 4 failures that stranded me.

1) Ignition switch had to be replaced at 25956 miles. $294.61 (luckily at home, so I trailered to dealer)
2) EWS Ring while in Erie PA. Had to call tow truck, but after the bike cooled it started and I rode to repair. Repaired under warranty.
3) Final Drive while in Brevard NC at 36169 miles. Out of warranty, BMW helped cover cost. I paid $900. Plus an all day towing experience with AAA, family and friends to get home.
4) Fuel Pump Controller failed at 49997 miles in Brevard NC (What is it with Brevard?). UHaul and Gas $400, New Controller $150. Yes I have AAA but I only have 100 mile coverage so it was AAA to Asheville, hotel till tuesday, or $600 is mileage overage to home. UHaul was just so much quicker and no missed work.

I can't say if I am typical, but this is my experience.

Now would I buy the RT over again? Yes I would.

Would I recommend one?
To someone established in their career with disposable income? Yes.
To someone younger, recently married, having kids, getting started in life with tight income? No.

If you lump all this together, include the amortized cost of the bike, fuel, and do the math it costs me about $4000 to ride my 1200RT for a year.

I am about to jump on it again for a 7000 mile coast to coast trip, and it's more fun than I can explain, so don't hesitate, just go in eyes wide open.

Others can chime in as to whether this is typical.
I hope you've been unlucky with reliability. Mi

Every issue I have had is well documented in the forums. The exception being the ignition switch.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your bike. I think If I had the same, I would be a little soured on the brand, though I also would not be dissuaded from owning one. The RT literally changed my life and turned me into a moto commuter. Before the RT I had bought a brand new Jetta TDI (2009) and loved it dearly, until at 40k the engine blew a rod and seized up. After it got replaced the starter just randomly died. Shortly after that repair, the alternator belt shredded and came off while on the freeway, leaving me stranded far from home. All this within about 5000 miles. It was a terrible experience, but VW was a very stand up company and after I wrote them a long winded letter about my woes, they agreed to buy my car back. I can't disclose the details, but they left me feeling very content with the company even to the extent that I would buy another VW, though since letting the Jetta go I have felt no need for a sedan. I ride my RT 99% of the time probably around 25k miles a year. I do have my lonely tacoma truck that sits in my driveway and ages gracefully with a couple thousand miles a year max. I really feel happy on my RT in a way I never experienced with any other bike (and I have 3 others).

That said, I suppose I've had really good luck. My first RT I bought was an '06 with 60k on the clock and no history of problems. I put another 24k on it in a year problem free before deciding I really wanted the 90th edition RT. Made that upgrade in December and I've had 13k trouble free miles so far, though I did buy the extended 5 year, unlimited mile warranty. I figure in 5 years my bike will have 125k and any kinks it may have will be worked out. The only issue it currently has is it's a little sensitive getting into 6th gear, though I am able to shift to it's liking most of the time.

My friend got an '07 RT around the same time as me and suffered a U-joint failure at 34k, which was a $450 trip to Bruno's to be repaired. He also was in two accidents (one a major one) and on both occasions the bike saved his life, though on the last one the bike didn't survive. He is picking up a '10 RT today and we'll be parting out his old one.

The other thing beemers did for me in these short two years is they turned me into a mechanic. I had never changed my oil before when I bought my RT. This last weekend I did my full 12k service on my RT by myself (finally got a gs911 and carb sync tool) and I feel great knowing that I did it and that it was done right. I have also learned so much about my bike that I feel confident doing most minor repairs myself (replacing the drive shaft was a big job that built confidence).

These bikes are special. I have fallen in love with the boxer engine and I doubt I'll ever have anything else as my primary bike.

Back