• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Other Things To Do around 2014 Rally

arthurdent

I didn't find a thread like this so I decided to start one.

1. Grand Rounds Scenic Byway - kind of a slow tour of the city of Minneapolis with one of the most extensive parkway systems in the nation if not the world.

2. If you're headed down the Great River Road toward Wabasha, go a little further to Kellogg and take a ride on a carousel at LARK TOYS.

3. If you missed the Raptor Center presentations and you're in Wabasha, check out the National Eagle Center to get up close and personal with an eagle.

4. Wabasha Caves Tours - history of the gangsters summer camp in St. Paul.

5. A bit west in Excelsior is the Steamboat Minnehaha for an outing on a truly beautiful lake.

6. Another old-school piece of transportation history is the Como-Harriet Streetcar near Lake Harriet in Minneapolis (conveniently located on the Grand Rounds).

7. Actual trains your thing? Check out the Minnesota Transportation Museum and the Jackson St. Roundhouse.

8. Ever wonder what it was like to ride a paddleboat up the Mighty Mississippi? Question answered by the Jonathan Paddleford.

The Twin Cities has a lot more to offer, too. These are all things I grew up with and enjoyed when I lived there.

Please add more!

Last edited:
Mill City Museum is pretty cool. I highly recommend the interactive "ride" that's a little history of the flour mills, as well as the famous explosion. Step onto the outdoor deck and enjoy possibly the best view of Saint Anthony Falls.
-K

Some of my favorites (& I'll think of more)

• Antique electronics museum (Pavek Museum in St Louis Park).
  • Many public swimming beaches & lakes. Common ones are Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. Also Cedar Lake - all in Minneapolis.
  • Very nice but slow drives around the Lakes.
  • Bicycling via Minnesota Nice rental bicycles - only takes a credit card & they are stashed all over the metro area but they are single speed.
  • Gliders & old airplanes at Stanton Airfield - a historic grass airport about 40 miles south of Rally site. Good picnic site there too. Pls no beer tho.
  • The outside bar scene (wonderful people and boat watching) at Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka at Spring Lake Park.
  • Good Pizza at Broadway Pizza in North Minneapolis (our favorite) Others too of course.
  • Good Burgers etc at a noisy bar (Gold Nugget) in Glen Lake. Are many others too (are there still Lerkburgers at Afton Alps?)
  • Good computer outlet at Micro Center in St Louis Park just south of MN 7 and 100.
  • Culture - Minnesota Orchestra and Guthrie theater but are quite expensive./
  • Drive MN hwy 60 west from Wabasha to I-35. There's also a Co Rd on the West side of the MN river into Chaska that's fun.
  • Fun electronic junk stores at Acme Electronics (close to the rally site) & ABC electronics in warehouse district of Minneapolis.
  • Minnehaha Falls - a nice park.
  • Evening concerts at Lake Harriet in Minneapolis.
  • Beautiful rides in SW Wisconsin & SE Minnesota along the Mississippi river.
  • Duluth has a spectacular entrance in I-35, and Canal Park & the lift bridge, harbor tours, museum, Park Point and a fantastic swimming beach - if you can stand incredibly COLD water. Careful of the poison ivy though
  • Steam & diesel railway museum Jackson Street Roundhouse includes a bus tour of downtown St Paul (more later

For me it's been a fun place to live as you can see. More as I think of them.;)

Last edited:
Some of my favorites (& I'll think of more)

• Beautiful rides in SW Wisconsin & SE Minnesota along the Mississippi river.
  • Duluth has a spectacular entrance in I-35, and Canal Park & the lift bridge, harbor tours, museum, Park Point and a fantastic swimming beach - if you can stand incredibly COLD water. Careful of the poison ivy though
  • Steam & diesel railway museum Jackson Street Roundhouse includes a bus tour of downtown St Paul (more later

Also check out the scenic motorcycling roads:

http://www.exploreminnesota.com/highways-byways-backroads/byways-overview/

Back