• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Options for getting from Badlands to Billings

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
The last time Barley and I passed that way enroute to Oregon we visited Badlands NP then took a circuitous route past Rushmore and the northern Black Hills, scooted up to Devil’s Tower, then took I-90 to Sheridan and turned west on 14 across the Big Horns and down that incredible cliff face to the high desert before turning north and crossing Chief Joseph and Beartooth on 212.

This time I’d like to see Badlands again (it was raining the last time we were there and the ground was the consistency of chewed gum mixed with raw liver), then drop into the southern Black Hills on 16 to Custer SD before continuing west past Ten Sleep WY and angling up to Cody, then Beartooth.

The issue I’m having is that chemo has been pretty tough for Barley. He’s a fighter, but for the first time in his life he was intolerant of winter cold…and I’m concerned that he might have a similar problem with heat. The temp crossing the Big Horns was very pleasant, but as we dropped into the western desert the heat was brutal. Can those who have ridden there before tell me what the terrain and conditions are like between Custer and Cody? Would I be better off turning NW at Rapid City and catching 212 from Belle Fourche directly to Billings…then doing Beartooth as a day trip from the rally?

Back