• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Option for a second radiator fan?

pmariana

Hi folks,

I've heard that there is an option for police Beemers and such (in the EU, at least) to have the second radiator have its own fan too, (talking about GS and GS Adventures here, but I know a number have the two radiator arrangement)

I'm not overly concerned actually, but I can definitely see an advantage maybe if one was riding on a long-away trip in a reeel hot place, where overheating was just not an option,

anyone know of this, can I just go to my shop and get one added - maybe there's even a harness already there . . . ? (OK, most likely not, but . . . )

would electronics have to be upgraded too?

thanks all!

Hi folks,

I've heard that there is an option for police Beemers and such (in the EU, at least) to have the second radiator have its own fan too, (talking about GS and GS Adventures here, but I know a number have the two radiator arrangement)

I'm not overly concerned actually, but I can definitely see an advantage maybe if one was riding on a long-away trip in a reeel hot place, where overheating was just not an option,

anyone know of this, can I just go to my shop and get one added - maybe there's even a harness already there . . . ? (OK, most likely not, but . . . )

would electronics have to be upgraded too?

thanks all!

I think it could be helpful in preventing overheating for stop n go in hot weather where air cooling is even more impaired. But for normal operation as long as you're moving at a decent clip I don't think you will ever need it on a wethead RT anyway. OTOH, can't hurt!

On June 4, 2016 we left Big Pine CA at 6:00am or so at about 52F, and took the incredible magic carpet CA-168 to US95 in Nevada then down past Vegas and up to St George UT: 112F for the last couple hours of that ride and the temp gauge never varied the entire ride, nor did TPMS' pressure readout--remarkable temperature compensation.

It's the airflow, not the temp alone

Last year I made a trip from SW New Mexico to Monterey, CA and back in August on a '17 R1200 GSA. Outbound leg crossed the Mojave desert; return leg crossed the Sonoran desert. In both directions, the afternoon highs were in the 110-115 degree range. At hwy speeds, usually around 70-75 mph, I periodically checked the engine temp and it was always around 190-195F. But, late afternoon en route to a hotel in stop-and-go urban traffic in downtown Tucson, with the temp around 110F, the engine temp jumped up to 205F fairly often and the fan ran continuously. At my 6K service, I asked the tech at what engine temp a warning light would display and he didn't know; said he'd never had a customer report one. One more thing. My water pump was replaced under warranty at that service. These all weep a little, but my water reservoir was below minimum and per BMW guidance, req'd replacement. This week at the annual service, the water level was again near minimum. Just a heads-up to keep an eye on the H2O reservoir level in wetheads.

Back