• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One more time??? Tire pressure???

O

olddude73

Search reveals nothing---So---,

Owners manual for my 83 R100RT lists suggested tire pressure in low
to mid 30's front & rear, and this was for 25 year old tire technology.
Question?
Would this hold true today? Most riders recommended, and I ran 40 front & rear on my old 90 K100; Most recommend, and I run 40 front & rear on my Goldwing.

Should I stick to the book pressure; which by today's standards seems low...OR..
inflate to 40 for 2/up touring on the 83 R100RT.

I have played around with pressures on my 1081 R100RT and find with stock size and style of tires with just me on the bike (220Lbs) it handles best with 34lbs. front and 37lbs. rear. When I take my wife, I up the back to 40lbs., and crank the shocks up one notch. Anything less than this, I find that the bike gets a little squirmy at anything less. Just a couple of lbs. makes a huge difference.

Sheesh, I've been running with 29 front and rear...Metzler Lasertecs on my '83 R100T with Windjammer and me (210lbs.).

Probably oughtta review what the tires say. I'd don't have an owner's manual.

Here is a general rule of thumb concerning tire pressure.

Your hot tire pressure should be 5 lbs more than your cold.

If you under inflate, the hot pressure will be higher.

If you over inflate, your hot pressure will be less.

So air it to the book cold, run till they are hot and then check.

Adjust accordingly.

I'm no longer a Goodyear Tire center manager, but I once was.

You're a bit of a "believer" if you think today's tire technology is much different than tire technology of 25 years ago.

Radial tires aren't suitable for or available for Airheads.

Have NEVER EVER seen a tire manufacturer Website state that "our new technology requires higher pressures" and neither have you.

Tire Websites continue to state to follow bike manufacturers' pressure recomendations, and BMW has NOT issued any new guidance. Not needed. (Hint: this is why "search reveals nothing.")

But, if you want to "believe" in something, try Lucas Oil products or something like that.

You're a bit of a "believer" if you think today's tire technology is much different than tire technology of 25 years ago.

Radial tires aren't suitable for or available for Airheads.

Have NEVER EVER seen a tire manufacturer Website state that "our new technology requires higher pressures" and neither have you.

Tire Websites continue to state to follow bike manufacturers' pressure recomendations, and BMW has NOT issued any new guidance. Not needed. (Hint: this is why "search reveals nothing.")

But, if you want to "believe" in something, try Lucas Oil products or something like that.

Perhaps as you state, "You're a bit of a beleiver", or perhaps I'm just a bit open minded, and for safety sake, willing to inquire, which leads me to wonder,why the sidewall markings on my front "Metzler Laser" 325X19 states"Max loat 457 pounds @ 42psi cold"?

I appreciate your information, and your Lucas oil suggestion, but I think I'll pass on both

I ran the pressure listed under the seat on my 75 60/6 in the mid 80s. Whatever the state of technology was at that time , the tires cupped and got very hot.

I raised the pressures and the replacement tires did better.

Sheesh, I've been running with 29 front and rear...Metzler Lasertecs on my '83 R100T with Windjammer and me (210lbs.).

Probably oughtta review what the tires say. I'd don't have an owner's manual.

I run 33-34 front 36-38 rear one up even with gear for camping with a jammer and bags on my 78 with the stock size tires, soft compaound, anything more and the ride gets harsher.

RM

Perhaps as you state, "You're a bit of a beleiver", or perhaps I'm just a bit open minded, and for safety sake, willing to inquire, which leads me to wonder,why the sidewall markings on my front "Metzler Laser" 325X19 states"Max loat 457 pounds @ 42psi cold"?

I appreciate your information, and your Lucas oil suggestion, but I think I'll pass on both

#1- stop shouting, we hear you fine in regular font size.
#2- what is printed on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM (shouting intentionally) pressure at MAXIMUM load. it is NOT your recommended riding pressure. Rather, think of it as the "don't go over this pressure under any circumstances" pressure.
#3- neither best grip, nor best wear, occur at max pressure.

Didn't mean to shout at you, just typing so these old 73 year old eyes could read... If it offends, just skip to something to your liking...Been riding for over 55 years, and wore out a lot of tires & a lot of different bikes. I knew that there would be a few experts, who could & would enlighten us common folks.
Sorry for the offense!!!

...Been riding for over 55 years, and wore out a lot of tires & a lot of different bikes.

...and that's a lot of years in the saddle in ANY sized font. Wow! More power too ya.

I for one wasn't/aren't offended. Sometimes the online thing presents thoughts in unintended manners. :thumb

I run 33-34 front 36-38 rear one up even with gear for camping with a jammer and bags on my 78 with the stock size tires, soft compaound, anything more and the ride gets harsher.

RM

RM, I checked my Clymer's last night and it indicates front 27 and rear 29psi. You got me thinking, I think I need more air in them. Wish I knew the right numbers. I'll try front 32, rear 36 and see how that goes. That's just with my 215lbs. on-board, not camping gear.

:scratch So perplexed, oh what to do... :dunno oh, I guess I could start by putting the alternator back together (got curious) and the exhaust back on and ride.

Tire Gauged

I always put the mximum pressure as stamped on the side of the tire. I don't race and I want the maximum fuel milage and extended tire wear. I do that for motorcycles, automobiles, and trucks. Seems to work and it saves fuel. I think cold means 80 degrees F.

The BMW recommended pressures on my R80RT and R1200CLC is 36 front and 42 rear. I think my K100Rt and K75Rt had the same recommendation. I've run that pressure for 10 or 12 years and the tires wear well and do not cup.

I always put the mximum pressure as stamped on the side of the tire. I don't race and I want the maximum fuel milage and extended tire wear. I do that for motorcycles, automobiles, and trucks. Seems to work and it saves fuel. I think cold means 80 degrees F.

if that's what you always do, how do you know you're getting the maximum wear and mileage? (hint: that's not what the tire manufacturers will say).

but as Mike said... "if that's what floats your boat....."

Back