• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Leak on 93 K1100LT

H

hpschaaf

I am noticing a small oil leak on my K1100LT.
It seems to come out of the small hole right behind the oil pan. where the center stand is. Is there any quick fix?
I think to remember reading something about an O-ring? I can't find anything. Can anyone help me? I want to be able to ride my bike to the International Rallye and hope I am not out 100$$$$ for an repair.

Did you smell the oil drip? If its got a strong sulfur smell, then its gear oil and the transmission seal needs replaced. If not, then its engine oil and a small rubber o-ring needs to be replaced.

Either way, the transmission will need to be removed, but you can probably wait until after the season to do the work.

I can't really smell it I first saw it after I had the bike parked. And sometimes it seems to be more oil sometimes less, depending how far I rode.

I am noticing a small oil leak on my K1100LT.
It seems to come out of the small hole right behind the oil pan. where the center stand is. Is there any quick fix?
I think to remember reading something about an O-ring? I can't find anything. Can anyone help me? I want to be able to ride my bike to the International Rallye and hope I am not out 100$$$$ for an repair.

As Jon pointed out, check which fluid it is. I will bet gems to germs it's your clutch o-ring (which sadly will take $$$$). If it's a small leak, (quarter sized or so puddle under the center stand) you should be able to ride it for 100's of miles if not thousands with no worry. When the oil starts to get on the friction disk so it starts to slip is when you will seriously need to consider having the job done. Even then, you can get by with a slipping clutch disk for 100's more miles - as long as you take the slippage into account while riding (she won't accelerate quickly under heavy throttle).

I've ridden several thousand miles with a known leak waiting for winter to perform the service.

Well as mentioned $$$$ not enough change to sell and get a new bike. And I enjoy riding my bike, "she" has been very good to me so far and with just over 100.000 miles just broken in.
Maybe I win one at the Rallye :bikes :german

tighten the oil pan bolts as a free fix attempt,

also make sure that its leaking from the hole

Well as mentioned $$$$ not enough change to sell and get a new bike. And I enjoy riding my bike, "she" has been very good to me so far and with just over 100.000 miles just broken in.
Bring the repair parts to the rally, and I'll bet that at least one person will offer to fix it for you during the event.

OK I will make sure all bolts are tight and maybe put some cloth in the hole to see that it is really leaking from there.
What parts would I all need? I am very happy as of now with MAX BMW for all parts.
I wouldn't mind to pay in full in the beer garden if I get my Beemer fixed and an advantage may be that I live actually only minutes away from the grounds.

OK I will make sure all bolts are tight and maybe put some cloth in the hole to see that it is really leaking from there.
What parts would I all need? I am very happy as of now with MAX BMW for all parts.
I wouldn't mind to pay in full in the beer garden if I get my Beemer fixed and an advantage may be that I live actually only minutes away from the grounds.
I think Jon is kidding (aren't you Jon?) It's not a trivial job, and certainly nothing I'd attempt without a lift and well light area with all the needed tools at hand. While it's worth checking the oil pan bolts - don't go crazy tightening them. They're small bolts - and really only need to be firmly snug.

FWIW - almost every K bike is going to leak from the O ring in question sooner or later. It's just a matter of time/use. The O ring is located behind the big nut that holds the entire clutch assembly to the output shaft on the engine - so getting to it and replacing it requires R&R of the transmission, and disassembly of the clutch assembly. Not a trival job.

I think Jon is kidding (aren't you Jon?) It's not a trivial job, and certainly nothing I'd attempt without a lift and well light area with all the needed tools at hand. While it's worth checking the oil pan bolts - don't go crazy tightening them. They're small bolts - and really only need to be firmly snug.
Its an ongoing joke with the Chicago Region club. For many years, the club supported the oil change area at the National, and even though the area was ill-equipped to handle it, EVERY YEAR there would be at least one bike ripped apart down to the frame because someone needed help. :laugh

OK, I checked again and the oil pan bolts are all tight. It does look as if the oil is leaking out of the hole but it is a bit more than a quarter size poddle. I rode it for a few miles on Monday and had the bike sit till this morning and it is more then the quarter size. I rode it today again to work and paid close attention to the "smell", but either my nostrils don't function or there is no smell.
I hope it will not break down before the rallye.

I am looking forward to it.
:german :drink :beer

Oil Leak

I have a small oil leak on my K100Lt after I installed crash bars. the right bar had to be adjusted and I guess it stressed the oil pan seal at that bolt. It will get fixed when the weather is cold.

If yours is rideable I suggest you do what I'm going to do. If anyone mentions it, " I parked next to a Harley, anf it got infected."

A little humor.

Ralph Sims

Back