• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil filter differences

GRLambert

Touring Rider
I recently traded in my 2011 RT for a 2016 RT. I have a couple of BMW OEM oil filters that I had purchased for the old bike. Does anyone know if these older oil filters are acceptable for use on the WC engine? The part numbers are different, but so us the shape of the metal canister of the filter. The older ones have notches in them that you need the special BMW oil filter removal tool for. The new filters have the flats on the end very typical of most other oil filter styles. This alone could account for the part number difference. Are there other Internal differences that would render using the old style on the new bike a bad idea?:dunno

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I had a case of the older filters, that fit my 2011gs, 1600gt and C650gt. Checked with my local dealer when my 2015RT was due for 600 mile service. Service manager and technician could see no reason not to use the filters I had. funny thing was changing filter at 600 miles and discovering bike came from factory with older style filter

On the 2015 R1200R LC bike, BMW calls out a new oil filter (11 42 7 721 779) it is larger than what the bike was shipped with. Who knows why BMW made this update. I saw this when I did my 600 mile run in service.

I would think the the older oil filters are OK, I did not have any older filters so used the new 11 42 7 721 779.

-JT

I recently traded in my 2011 RT for a 2016 RT. I have a couple of BMW OEM oil filters that I had purchased for the old bike. Does anyone know if these older oil filters are acceptable for use on the WC engine? The part numbers are different, but so us the shape of the metal canister of the filter. The older ones have notches in them that you need the special BMW oil filter removal tool for. The new filters have the flats on the end very typical of most other oil filter styles. This alone could account for the part number difference. Are there other Internal differences that would render using the old style on the new bike a bad idea?:dunno

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The pleasant fellow I spoke to at Beemer Boneyard said I could use the filters from my 2011 RT. As you did he noted the differences in the two items. Since I had to buy the new wrench and lost my old one, I just switched over to the new filter too.

You never know, that old wrench can't be really lost forever. If I threw out the old filter, I'd be sure to find it the next day!

As was noted, many of the new LC models are coming from the factory with the older camhead oil filter, my 2016 included. The only difference that I see visually is the design of the base where the filter wrench fits in. BMW for some reason went back to the older design, so the old oilhead filter wrenches are supposed to work.

Back