• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio traffic law takes a backward step

lkraus

For three months at the beginning of the year there was a lot of local news coverage about a change in Ohio law that allowed vehicles to proceed through red lights when a malfunctioning sensor failed to detect the presence of the vehicle. I've relied on that change a couple times since it took effect in March, proceeding with caution after sitting through several light cycles with no green light for my motorcycle.

The subject came up in another forum, and I wanted to quote the current law, ORC 4511.132. I was surprised to find that there was a subsequent revision in April, such that only bicycles can proceed in the event a sensor does not detect the vehicle. This revision received NO publicity that I can find.

Old and new language can be downloaded here, under the Documents tab.

Be careful out there.

Complain to whichever authority owns the traffic light, and be a PITA about it. Tell them the light won't trip for a motorcyclist and insist they correct that. Or just check for cops and proceed.

Carry an ultra bright LED flashlight capable of a tightly focused beam and shine it at the traffic light-that may trip it. Some googling should turn up a brand or three that will work. DAHMIKT.

Best,
DG

Carry an ultra bright LED flashlight capable of a tightly focused beam and shine it at the traffic light-that may trip it. Some googling should turn up a brand or three that will work. DAHMIKT.

Best,
DG
Hmmmm, open the tankbag after placing the bike in neutral, turn on flashlight, aim at a target in bright sunlight, hope to hit tatget, maybe a good idea to look back at traffic from behind?, wait for light, aim again, GREEN! Try to get flashlight back in tankbag, zip tankbag, put bike in gear, run light that has already changed back to red. Got it!

I think I'll just keep waiting a reasonable time and proceeding when clear. :dunno

Complain to whichever authority owns the traffic light, and be a PITA about it. Tell them the light won't trip for a motorcyclist and insist they correct that. Or just check for cops and proceed.

My advice as well. We seem to be fortunate in our area. I cannot recall the last time a light failed to cycle for me while on a bike.

Hmmmm, open the tankbag after placing the bike in neutral, turn on flashlight, aim at a target in bright sunlight, hope to hit tatget, maybe a good idea to look back at traffic from behind?, wait for light, aim again, GREEN! Try to get flashlight back in tankbag, zip tankbag, put bike in gear, run light that has already changed back to red. Got it!

I think I'll just keep waiting a reasonable time and proceeding when clear. :dunno

Your passenger needs something to do. :laugh
DG

GT:
The only way the flashlight would work is if they are either using a camera trip or have specialized sensors (IR Strobe) that Emergency vehicle have. Most of OH still uses ground sensors/pressure plates to trip the lights. Even with the camera associated lights, unless I am misunderstanding how they work, a flashlight should not trip them.

Mike

Your passenger needs something to do. :laugh
DG
:) This reminds me of the time she was told that she "just sits there". Since we were at Deal's Gap at the time I asked Ike to grab his gear and we'd take a blast through the Gap. He donned his gear and as he was mounting his bike I stopped him and said "No, not your bike. You're riding with me." He declined the offer and never belittled my riding companion again.

Photo by my Pillion. (not Deal's Gap, BTW.)
Lean.jpg

But back on track, a 1000 lumen flashlight has been on my short list for a while. :thumb

GT:
The only way the flashlight would work is if they are either using a camera trip or have specialized sensors (IR Strobe) that Emergency vehicle have. Most of OH still uses ground sensors/pressure plates to trip the lights. Even with the camera associated lights, unless I am misunderstanding how they work, a flashlight should not trip them.

Mike

Mike, actually, they're triggered by inductive loops in the ground (think metal detection). At most of these intersections, you might see square (2 1/2' x 6') sections where vehicles will sit. Depending on the timing algorithm, the software looks for "presence" on the loop to determine if vehicles are there or not.

In a lot of cases, a motorcycle doesn't have enough metal mass to reliably force the loop into detection mode.

I've sat at a lot of these things over the years. I haven't been pulled over yet.

Regards, RPGR90s (former Engineer with FAPD, Automated Parking Systems)

Sit On an Intersection of the Inductive Loop Wiiring

A tip I read that does seem to assist triggering the inductive loop is to place the bike over an 'intersection' of the the wiring loop. Think corner or even better a center line segment. This is only doable if you can see the 'lines' of the loop. The bike symbols that have been stenciled at some lights are supposed to indicate where these more sensitive positions are located (when they aren't visible lines in the pavement).
I have used this at locations where I never use to trigger the light and now my positioning almost always works.
In my area I am frequently amazed at the number of cagers that don't know they need to be over the loops to trigger the light. Many pull too far over the stop line or for some reason remain 3/4 - a full car length before the stop line. I've had to walk up to them and ask them to move up.

Mike, actually, they're triggered by inductive loops in the ground (think metal detection). At most of these intersections, you might see square (2 1/2' x 6') sections where vehicles will sit. Depending on the timing algorithm, the software looks for "presence" on the loop to determine if vehicles are there or not.

In a lot of cases, a motorcycle doesn't have enough metal mass to reliably force the loop into detection mode.

I've sat at a lot of these things over the years. I haven't been pulled over yet.

Regards, RPGR90s (former Engineer with FAPD, Automated Parking Systems)
The newer intersections are using scene comparative software which is used to "see" a vehicle has arrived and sets the system in motion.
Throw in an algorithm for the timing for certain times of the day, days of the week and your off.
Loops or cameras, they depend on the situation being "optimal" :rofl :rofl

In any case, when they do not detect traffic, the entity responsible for the intersection should make it functional. They should.
OM

Back