• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OH NO! Another Oil Question (but different than the others)

Paul_F

RK Ryder
So it is that time of year again. The snowblower has moved into the garage in anticipation that winter will be fast approaching. This machine has not been used for the past three winters due to the fact that I try to keep fit by shovelling and on occasion when I am not out early or the snow is too heavy for an old man, my neighbour plows a few neighbours’ driveways (mine included). However his ‘96 Ford Expedition has finally been retired and therefore my snowblower will be needed occasionally this winter.

The machine was serviced three years ago and was turned on by the shop to wheel it about 150’ to my waiting trailer. It has not been turned on since. Cost of oil is not an issue, but possibly laziness could be.

Does this oil need to be changed? :dunno

I would think that moisture has accumulated in the oil with changing temperatures, humidity, etc. Normally that gets baked out by running it. But having been sitting for so long, I'd be inclined to change it.

My guess is that it would be fine. You could check the referred to moisture possibility simple enough with a look into the oil fill hole. If it hasn’t run in the past few years, I would pull it over, key and gas off, with the pull cord to get a bit of oil splashed around. If you wanted to be fancy, you could pull the spark plug and squirt a little oil in the spark plug hole and turn it over a few pulls. It’s probably pretty dry on lubrication after the years.
Really, these small engines are pretty durable because the manufacturers realize the treatment the engines are probably going to receive.
OM

There you go! Don't listen to me! OM has 47 bazillion machines/engines he takes care of, so that has to be wisdom/experience rolled into one! :wave

Yes and No. 🤣

That certainly clears things up.

I will most likely get a new bottle from my shelf oils and get out of my lazy funk. (maybe)

:rofl

not oil but gas

Yes and No. 🤣

That certainly clears things up.

I will most likely get a new bottle from my shelf oils and get out of my lazy funk. (maybe)

:rofl

Being also from the great white north, my thoughts are this: (as someone who has had a 3 year idle snow blower). Gasoline issues. Unless the tank was drained and the carb run dry; drain the gas, take off the float bowl, drain and spray clean it and shoot some cleaner up the needle jet and the main jet and down the carb throat and refill the tank with fresh gas. Oil issues: If you can easily turn over the engine with a pull starter, take out the plug and spay some fogging oil into the cylinder and then replace the plug and pull the cord a couple of times to get the oil down into the bore. Spray some cold start alcohol/ether mixture into the carb throat and, with full choke, pull away or or turn over with the electric start (if there is one). Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't (especially if it is the first big blow of the winter and this is your first try to start it). Doing it now before Halloween (and below sub zero temps) dramatically increaces your chances of success when the first big blow comes (and it will come).

Being also from the great white north, my thoughts are this: (as someone who has had a 3 year idle snow blower). Gasoline issues. Unless the tank was drained and the carb run dry; drain the gas, take off the float bowl, drain and spray clean it and shoot some cleaner up the needle jet and the main jet and down the carb throat and refill the tank with fresh gas. Oil issues: If you can easily turn over the engine with a pull starter, take out the plug and spay some fogging oil into the cylinder and then replace the plug and pull the cord a couple of times to get the oil down into the bore. Spray some cold start alcohol/ether mixture into the carb throat and, with full choke, pull away or or turn over with the electric start (if there is one). Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't (especially if it is the first big blow of the winter and this is your first try to start it). Doing it now before Halloween (and below sub zero temps) dramatically increaces your chances of success when the first big blow comes (and it will come).

Thank you for jogging my memory FELAW ! :thumb

I always put the machine away in the spring with no gas left in the tank. Since there is a limit as to how much I can siphon out, I must have fired it up to run it dry. :banghead

(The memory certainly isn't what it used to be.) :)

Definitely will change the oil.

Back