• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Odyssey PC680 and Kisan Signal Minder SM-5, R1150 Battery Drain Fix

roger 04 rt

After getting to the bottom of a slow starting problem (inadequately charged PC680, here ) on my R1150RT last Fall I monitored the state of charge of the PC680 battery throughout our long, cold winter. If I remove the Kisan it stayed well charged with a once a month top-up of the battery. However once the Kisan is installed, the battery loses almost 10% charge per week.

(This drain is compounded by the PC680's lower than stock battery capacity (16 amp-hours vs 19 AH stock). It's a great battery but at 0 degrees centigrade Odyssey specs a charging voltage of 15.5 volts and a maintenance charge of 14.4 volts. This is over 1 volt higher than the R1150's alternator and more than a volt higher than many battery trickle charges output. And I'm not crazy about leaving the charger connected when I'm not around. So a smaller PC680 battery and a 3X higher drain Kisan flasher aren't a great combination.)

The Kisan Signal Minder which is installed on my R1150 adds a significant current drain with the key off but the battery connected. The R1150's total key-off drain on the battery in stock configuration is 2.5 mA. With the Kisan installed the key-off drain is 3 times as high, about 7.5 mA. It may not seem like a lot but it adds up to about a 15% discharge of the battery over 10 days.

I finally got tired of having to pull the Kisan or recharge the battery if I travelled so I modified the SM-5 today to cut its key-off power to ZERO.

The problem is that the Kisan connects directly to the battery on its pin 2 (but also has a connection to the Load Relief relay on its pin 1) so that it can operate the Hazard Flasher lights with the key off. I don't need the key-off-hazard-flasher function so I opened up the Kisan, cut pin 2 internally, jumpered that connection to pin 1 (photo below). The current drain of the Kisan is now 0 mA with the key off and the PC680 can sit connected for a week and only lose 2-3% of its charge. Total time for the modification was about 15 minutes.
RB

kisanmod.jpg

Makes good sense Roger.
What the heck was Kissan thinking?
Poor circuit design, far too much parasitic load.

Interesting. I myself want key off hazards. With the key on there is more draw possibly shortening the time I would have to run the hazards. I think this is why quite a few modern vehicles are wired so you can use the hazards without the key.
OM

On mine I can pull the low beam fuse if I'm out at night and need hazards. I'd rather than than live with 3X the parasitic load every day.

What were the thinking? They weren't.

Back