• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No spark on left primary plug

karnic

Hi all.

I have no spark on the left primary spark plug of my 2004 R1150RT. I’ve swapped the spark plugs and the stick coils and the spark plugs left to right and the problem stays on the left side, so I’m guessing it’s not the stick coil or the spark plug. I’ve taken off the Tupperware and gas tank to check the wiring and it’s kind of hard to follow the wires but I can’t see any obvious breaks.

The other 3 spark plugs work as expected. In fact, the bike runs pretty well on just the 3 plugs firing.

Any way I can check for proper output from the motronic unit without a GS 911?

Thanks

I would suspect that the GS911 would only describe the fault/code
I would start by ringing out the wires from the motronic pins to the coil female connector with an ohmmeter.

Cyl#1 should have the following on the plug
Pin 1 - Black/Green to pin 32 of the motronic
Pin 2 - Brown to Ground B-
Pin 3 - Green/Black to pin 5 of the load relief #2

Cyl#2 should have the following on the plug
Pin 1 - Black/Violet to pin 33 of the motronic
Pin 2 - Brown to Ground B-
Pin 3 - Green/Black to pin 5 of the load relief #2

Last edited:
Also check the little plastic connector where the harness from the computer plugs into the stick coil - the plastic can crack (especially if anybody wasn't very careful when separating it from the the coil), the female pins in the harness connector may spread, or the connection of the little wire(s) can break off of the rear (entry) side of the pin. Your dealer has a specific "repair kit" for these, that's simply spliced in as a replacement.

Solved

Thanks guys, There was no contact from any of the three pins going to the stick coil. I took a closer look at the connector and sure enough it was cracked. The replacement part is 61 12 7685348 and is around $130. I may try to do some soldering to see if I can rig something up...

Thanks again Pauls1150 and GSAddict

Maybe you can use part number 83 30 0 402 341, also ID'd with 610616, "3-pole for ignition coil, gearbox potentiometer, fuel pump" at about $24? I don't know offhand if this requires a special tool for the pins, ask at the parts counter...

Follow up

Just to follow up. That part number recommended, 83 30 0 402 341, did work as a connector to the primary stick coil. I just needed to splice it in. Everything working well now. Thanks guys.

Back