• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nice looking R90/6 on ebay

And there is a 1977 R100RS MotorSport (white and orange) on Craigslist Portland
for a pretty good price too.

It saddens me to see this economy make people part with their stuff.

Me too, but then I bought my first Airhead because of the economy and sold my beloved restored 28 sloop, a fishing boat, bikes, a couple old Benz just to clean out the garage.

Now I'm hooked on airheads. There's something re-assuring in being able to fix or know you can fix your ride, in the age of computerized, choked up transports of today.

I'd love to find a last edition R100RS, I appreciate the limit production numbers of the MotoSports, but can't warm up to the orange face and the blue seat. Each to their own, eh? :type

Now I'm hooked on airheads. There's something re-assuring in being able to fix or know you can fix your ride, in the age of computerized, choked up transports of today.

:type

Tony, go all the way and pull the trigger on a /5 or /6. Start at the basis of simplicity. For me, learning on the simplest of airheads gives me insight into the functionality of all the airheads to follow. Knowing how to fix your ride starts with the basics.

C'mon Bob, It's just stuff. If I HAD to sell a bike for 3 months rent and a sack of potatoes, I'd do it and be glad that I was able to. In fact, I did this very sort of thing back in the early 80's.

I'd do it again.

/5

Tony, go all the way and pull the trigger on a /5 or /6. Start at the basis of simplicity. For me, learning on the simplest of airheads gives me insight into the functionality of all the airheads to follow. Knowing how to fix your ride starts with the basics.

Well, I did. I just bought a '72 R60/5 that I get this weekend. Doing backflips in anticipation of it. I can make this one purdy (to the degree that a toaster can be made purdy) whilst I keep riding my R100.

I couldn't agree more about knowing how to fix your own ride. Much to learn still, but I'm comfortable taking most things apart and putting them back together again (er, except that hallway bathroom job I started 95 years ago and stopped when I had running water again, heh?).

Last edited:
Me Too

C'mon Bob, It's just stuff. If I HAD to sell a bike for 3 months rent and a sack of potatoes, I'd do it and be glad that I was able to. In fact, I did this very sort of thing back in the early 80's. I'd do it again.

I bought and enjoied a new 1996 R11RT about 12 years ago (sinus blue) The stars fell out of alignment and the bike went by by. It was just stuff and the right decision in more ways than I imagined. My son, James, was 13 at the time and he thought my passion for motorcycling was admirable. The rug was pulled out from under my wife, Abigail, so in the eyes of my boy, the motorcycle (mine) was not part of the equation of Abigail's ill fortune. I sold the bike with out blinking and that caused James to reevaluate priorities. In retrospect I would get rid of the bike again just to give the lad the lesson.

The R11RT was just stuff. The bike I have now is the result of lots of sweat and a little blood. I looked at that R100GS and that is a bike that someone invested his self into. I expect the R100RS Motorsport I noted is likewise the recipient of someone's commited attention. These old bikes become heirlooms, of a sort with more invested in them than can be recaptured in money. That is the shame (IMHO) to see people parting with things for less than their value.

Sure motorcycles are just stuff, and there are higher priorities for which they should rightfully be sacrificed, if necessary, but it is a pity that in every paper and on line classified neat stuff is being sold to serve that necessity.

I'd love to find a last edition R100RS, I appreciate the limit production numbers of the MotoSports, but can't warm up to the orange face and the blue seat. Each to their own, eh? :type

1) It's 'Motorsport'.

2) It's code #133 red, not orange.

3) Airhead seats are interchangeable. Mine's black right now ...

All due respect to originality and those who prize it.

I have an 84 R100RT. More than 200 of them, I'm sure. But it's original state means squat to me, if I can improve it. So its seat is being sat on on another bike (I gave it away, but to a good home), the original fork springs and Nivomats went bye-bye the first week, the stock brake lines soon thereafter, etc., etc., etc.

Don't even ask me about my Norton. You'll faint.

Ah, noted on the Mototsport. Damnedest shade of "red" I've ever seen, not unlike the 'red' (#fa8c00) on your webpage (nice site, btw). :)

Tanks, carbs and wheels are interchangeable too...I guess none of it matters unless you want to preserve a bike to its originality. So swapping the seat out, like the fairing, tank, handlebars, etc. would it still be a Motorsport?
Arguably. The Motorsport was a purely cosmetic package. Otherwise a standard R100RS.
Each to their own I suppose, but if I had one of 200 made, I'd keep it completely original, all the time. That way, whenever it is seen, anywhere, it is one of the 200 classics and rare. Having one or say 10,000 or so, originality is less important to me anyway.
Actually, one of 150 ... or 350, depending on how you look at it. Mine is one of the 150 that went to the UK, so it's somewhat rarer than the US model. Has a kick starter, metric speedo/odo, and switchable lights (including 'OFF'). VIN is 608xxxx instead of US' 618xxxx.

Nonetheless, I want to ride it and to be comfortable, so the blue seat sits in the garage waiting for me to fix the rust on the bottom (one hinge has departed, so I want to fix it somehow). It seems that at least half of the Motorsports I've seen (for obvious reasons, I pay a lot of attention to their appearances for sale or simply online) have non-OEM seats on them. One is even blue (a specially-ordered Corbin dual tourer, apparently). I have a set of bar risers because of my 32" arms and the dash pad is off the bars. There's more.

The photos of the bike in the special brochure show black side covers. Some have black; some have white. Some Motorsports have black Krausers; some have white (I understand the UK/Euro versions got white.). I have no idea what color the side cover stickers saying "1000cc" were. Both the blue and the red ones match the stripes and I have a set of each. :dunno Even in its slightly non-original state, this bike gets a lot of attention and questions I'm happy to answer. If I were actually taking it somewhere to show, I'd probably put the seat back on ...

Back