• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Next Season's Road Trips and Dreams!

That has been the case every year since coming back from the Alps on my first tour there back in 1995. I started planning tour no. 22 while on the flight back, actually even while there after having toured through some new areas the past two years that I said I'd have to go back to to explore in detail.

After 21 years and hundreds of different alpine passes, time for a change. I am going to enjoy all the great micro-breweries in the area between the A9 and the Czech border, from Nürnberg south. Good riding there and into the Czech Republic.

That would be absulutly incredible! Doing Europe and all those micro breweries on a motorcycle! Post pics PLEASE!:beer:ca

That would be absolutely incredible! Doing Europe and all those micro breweries on a motorcycle!

The beer will come at the end of the day of riding though. Along with a good Wiener Schnitzel. :)

CIMG0050-L.jpg

'16 rides

Early season with my daughter, Hudson Valley, June week with daughter, the Dragon area, 2 weeks with wife July-August Nova Scotia (wife is a pillion, daughter a rider).

Since the rally is close the three of us will attend for a few days. I have even offered to let my daughter ride my 9T to the MOA rally, normally rides a Bonnie. Planning trips helps the sanity through the almost forever CNY winters.

Last edited:
I've hung up my helmet for the winter, spouse is still riding though. I just wimped out because its chilly and raining.

We are heading to Thailand in January. Will spend three weeks on rented bikes touring the northern part of the country.

From Twin Cites MN to 49'er rally to Santa Cruz area to Vancouver BC to Europe for a 3 month tour. From the Nordcape on the 21st of June to the Toe of Italy. Zig sagging from the North to the South. May take in a IMT tour.

Jun-July - long way to the Hamburg rally (home, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota?, Ontario, Michigan, Ontario (again), Hamburg,???, home). Not sure if I'll be retired by then. September, the Alps. If not retired, 3-day weekends: West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York.

Your Kartoffeln und Schnitzel makes me want to road trip back home to southern Indiana next summer for one of these...

Nickel-Plate-Tenderloin-Sandwich-Large.jpg

'course that isn't likely to happen...

YUP, this one is a must do.

I went for the first time this year and had a blast.... (on my airhead).

One June event that I've enjoyed several times in the past has been the Airheads Gathering of the Clans near Boone, NC held around the second weekend in June. It is not necessary to ride an airhead or even a BMW to attend and have a good time. The event is held at a motorcycle only campground, but one is proximate to Boone, NC (and several other small NC towns) if staying in a hotel is preferred.

A key attraction is the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway and many other great roads.

Some relevant links -

http://www.highcountrymotorcyclecamp.com/
http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/event_details.asp?id=597460

My 2016 plans are up in the air right now. Barley was always up for an adventure far from home, but with him gone and Tulliver just learning the ropes of sidecar travel I need to focus on his training. If I push him too soon it won't be fun for either of us, and for the rest of his life he'd be a reluctant co-pilot. So we'll do plenty of day trips to places a dog would find enjoyable: rivers, lakes, ice cream stands and such. Then a couple of overnighters to introduce him to the joys of camping. With luck and patience, by the time of the National Rally he'll be looking forward to another trip.

Of course once he meets the extended BMW family members he would be hooked!

My 2016 plans are up in the air right now. Barley was always up for an adventure far from home, but with him gone and Tulliver just learning the ropes of sidecar travel I need to focus on his training.

Sorry to learn about Barley. Have you watched the movie Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America’s Sidecar Dogs with Tulliver? Maybe it will inspire him. I loved the concept of that movie so much I was a (minor) participant in the crowd funding. They are working on the sequel now.

My 2016 plans are up in the air right now. Barley was always up for an adventure far from home, but with him gone and Tulliver just learning the ropes of sidecar travel I need to focus on his training. If I push him too soon it won't be fun for either of us, and for the rest of his life he'd be a reluctant co-pilot. So we'll do plenty of day trips to places a dog would find enjoyable: rivers, lakes, ice cream stands and such. Then a couple of overnighters to introduce him to the joys of camping. With luck and patience, by the time of the National Rally he'll be looking forward to another trip.

Of course once he meets the extended BMW family members he would be hooked!

We gotta find you a Woman! LOL!

Sorry to learn about Barley. Have you watched the movie Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America’s Sidecar Dogs with Tulliver? Maybe it will inspire him. I loved the concept of that movie so much I was a (minor) participant in the crowd funding. They are working on the sequel now.

Eric and Geneva were unable to make it to Billings, so Barley and I had the honor of presenting that movie at the rally. We had hoped to get Barley in the sequel, but the cancer caught up with him before we had the chance. There are quite a few dogs that ride in sidecars, but only a handful become accomplished long distance sidecarists. (Barley took the Long Distance Sidecar award at the Salem OR rally; we covered 8800 miles in three weeks on that meandering cross-country adventure.) Tulliver is new to the sidecar thing. I have to remember that, and not assume that the lessons learned with Barley will translate to this new partnership.

Back