• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie with vent tube,fuel level, and hardware questions

milliemom

(2002 r1150r) Just put my battery in today. Bought this bucket list last year. Finding I may be over my head weight wise but love the power and smoothness. Not keen on mpg., parts cost, and battery placement. I've only had Japanese chain driven carbuerated bikes prevously(Yamaha 250,450. Honda 550,650)and have been able to do most of the upkeep myself. No heated garage and frankly no patience or $ to do much more than oil changes and battery for now. Special tool requirements don't help either but I way digress. So I installed battery I had removed in the fall and reinstalled 13 bolt/screws and 3 bolts(miss lifting the seat and 2 battery bolts of my Japanese bikes). I was reconnecting the tank vents and one of them felt not connected at the rear end. I looked around and could not see anything disconnected. One to canister still on. Loose one has a plastic holder clip for another same size tube so I guessed it went to another vent tube under air filter housing near rear monoshock. Yes? Also, hate the rubber grommet and washer setup for most of the bolt/screws. This bike was bought used and many of the grommets are raggedy or missing. Then there's the required washers for compressing the grommets that were missing or falling out of position. Very frustrating. I guess the vibration protection is why these grommets were used but damn isn't there an available complete(grommet,washer,bolt)kit with a couple vs. those parts each at $6 per? I had to resort to crappy Chinese aluminum bolts with crumby grommets and plastic washers as spares because of cost.( I already feel like a traitor to the cult). There were quality aftermarket stainless steel Allen (or Torx) head kits for my old Japanese bikes why not Beemer?
Also,I see many people whose fuel tank indicator doesn't work just guesstimate using ODO which I have been doing. Is this because of cost and design flaw(ie "fixing"it doesn't work for long)? I have run out of gas twice because of this and was considering looking into somehow carrying a reserve. I now stupidly realize this bike was designed for touring at a steady speed so of course my gas mileage will such for my 20 minute commutes but it gets mileage comperable to my 4 cylinder Subie Outback! Can I adjust the computer somehow to improve MPG? I'll stop whining now. There are lots of things I like too. Thoughts? Beth

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :wave
And welcome to the madness...not always the rule once you get familiar with bike.You say 1150 R,but all the screws and grommets(wellnuts) sound like you are dealing with an RT:scratch Need some help.

The 1150's average 45mpg...and then depends on driving style/ gear choice. Even on a bad day, 40 should be obtainable and a range of 200 miles. The 1150R has a low fuel light, the RT has the light and the fuel level display...which is sometimes just a dirty connector.

Most bikes eventually lose the charcoal canister and then both hoses will exit by center stand. There should be two lines coming from fuel pump on right side when you lift the tank and the barbed connectors should kind of show you where they normally fall by the tank mounting bracket. One easy way to see which hose is which is to spray WD-40 or carb cleaner down the drain hole at filler plate under the gas cap. That should exit by centerstand.
The other routes to canister.

There are aftermarket SS bolt kits,but the wellnuts are not typically included...and BMW loves the prices:banghead Also, some seem to gall the threads due to dissimilar metals and will eventually cause issues trying to remove. We have some on a few bikes and sometimes one just is stuck.

Don't get too frustrated...we all have learning curve stories and some good ones as well:thumb

One "vent" line from inside the tank goes to the charcoal canister. The other "drain" line goes from the gas cap area down to the footpeg on the right side. You can tell which by ginding that drain line, hooking it up and blwing in from the bottom to detect air flow in that little hole on the left side of the fuel filler area when the cap is open.

Another tip is to include your location in your profile...there may be a lot of help just down the road. The local BMW club often can give you a lot of support. If you have your Anonymous Book, the list of clubs or folks in your area that may point you in the right direction. The 1150's don't require a lot of special tools.

And yes, built for touring enjoyment, however just as easily a day rider and decent mileage running to work and back

Thanks guys! I think I did put the vent in the right place! I did find an aftermarket ss kit for hardware though no grommets or washers included. Chinese grommets in packs of ten. I will survive. Yup it is a R1150R at least that's what the tank paint says! I'm in Ashfield, western MA.. Brad at Berkshire Cycle just down the road has been the go to mechanic for the bike for a few years. I didn't want to bug him during his busy time and figured Beemer devotees might have interesting and specific things to share. Thx again!

H has an 1150R that is her fav of her 1100 and 1200 Roadsters. I think you will bond with the bike given time. Take the cases off and it's a daily sport ride..put the cases back on and haul what you need.

Post a picture when you can, the RT's outnumber us R and S owners :wave

Back