• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Orleans to Venice, La.

squeaky4432

Squeaky
We are planning a trip to the mouth of the Mississippi River and are interested in road conditions down into the delta. Why? you ask. It is on our "Bucket List" since we have been to the headwaters in Minnesota. We will be riding a K1200LT. Any info will be appreciated.

Bob Schrader

Hey Bob,

Well I am originally from New Orleans, and Venice would be a nice ride,

Here is what I would do. I would not ride from New Orleans through Gretna and Belle Chase to get to Venice, very congested and frankly not the scenery you want.

Start in New Orleans and go through Chalmette down St. Bernard Hwy (Hwy 46) beautiful Oak Tree Lined road, head south to (Hwy 39) and plott your route to Point A La Hache, you will see lots of old homes and some cool Civil War stuff there, there is a ferry to cross the river to get to hwy 23 which leads to Empire, Buras, Venice etc.

Have a great ride and be safe.

Wade

I was just down to Venice a couple of weeks ago. Just like U I wanted to see the end of Great River Road. I rode till road construction stopped me on the south side of Venice. The road down is surrounded on both sides by levees. I'm a Civil War buff so I stopped and did a self guided tour of Fort Jackson. This was the first battle fought on the southern end of the Mississippi River as the Union Army and Navy fought their way north to take control of the river and split the Confederacy. The fort and park really wasn't open to tourist and visitors Glad I went, but don't plan on going back any time soon.

Back