• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member in Texas

txdaveski

Hello, from the South-West side of Fort Worth Texas!

Everyone calls me Ski or Dave Ski, and No that’s not my real last name. You couldn’t pronounce it anyway - trust me this is easier! I’m starting a new chapter in life having retired recently and now I have a lot of spare time for riding and traveling and such.

It’s nice to meet a bunch of people with similar interests.

I started riding when I was 9 after rebuilding a 1964 Honda 305 scrambler basket case. That build started a long road of buying junk bikes (sometimes more than one of the same model), selling the leftover parts and the running motorcycle, then repeating the whole process. 32 rebuilds later I bought my first New bike, a 1980 KZ1300! After I discovered what an Orphan the Big Six turned into, I had to get another junk one to have enough spare parts to keep One of them running, so there I was back to my old habits...
That was followed by a couple dirt bikes and crotch rockets, and a Goldwing in 2007. Various Harley’s came and went and the ‘Wing finally left the garage earlier last year. The need for speed was strong so a new GSXR1300 slid into the garage alongside a Road King Peace Officer Special. Life was good!
Then I bought a 2004 R1150GS and a 2000 R1150GS, just to see what the fuss was about Adventure Bikes. Got good deals on them so I fixed them up and started riding them.
OK, I got hooked! Traded the 2004 GS and the GSXR1300 for a 2016 R1200GSA to park alongside the Harley. Life is Good AGAIN!

My career in Nuclear Power ended when I turned 59-1/2 last year, and here I am! Ready to get bugs in my teeth and wind in my hair (if I had any).
I have other hobbies that keep me busy but riding has always been on top of the list. Now I have time to do it right.

Thanks for listening

Welcome Dave! You will enjoy life on the forum, I believe. My story is similar, but different, from yours. I rode early in life through high school, but quit when I went to university, graduated, got married, and went off to see the world on behalf of the US Army. Wife and I raised two kids and when empty-nest time arrived, I went back to riding motorcycles. My only hobbies now are community volunteering, riding my bike, and whatever my wife tells me to do. Not in that order.

I lived in central Texas (Fort Hood area, of course) for a few years and I was raised in Oklahoma. While I don't ride off-road, and ADV bikes are too tall for me to feel comfortable, I have ridden in all the lower 48 at least three times and on at least three different bikes. My current ride is the only BMW I have ever owned and it is a good one. At age of 74, I am definitely slowing down and taking shorter trips these days. Maybe we might meet somewhere down the road.

Good luck.

Back