• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New England Trip Planning Questions

N

NorthCape02

Been wanting to do a New England trip for some time, just havenÔÇÖt had enough vacation time to ride across the country and back. Last year my wife flew to Ohio to visit her family, while I rode solo from So Cal, and we returned 2 up. This worked out well, so this July weÔÇÖre planning for her to fly to and from Cleveland. This will give us 11 days of vacation time to spend riding in New England.

Picked up maps and tour books from AAA last week and they help, but cheeze, there are a lot of towns and roads in these states. Rough plan is to take the Interstates to Utica, NY, wander across the AdirondackÔÇÖs into Vermont, across New Hampshire and Maine to Bar Harbor, down the Atlantic coast and through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, to Gettysburg National Park, then Interstate it back to Cleveland.

We enjoy small towns, tourist traps, twisty roads of course, and wife loves to shop. Any suggestions of places to see, routes to take, places to avoid, or to spend an extra day would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

My hood!

Great Idea. You are in my back yard and will be happy to map a route for you and/or suggest some routes. But will have to wait for 10 days since I am headed to Daytona for some fun, sun and grandson.

Get together with pillion and decide how many days you want to spend in the saddle. After that it is a matter of how much, NY, VT and so on. 11 days is very ambitious for the many places you mention. You can do all of it in eleven days but there won't be much time to stop and smell the roses.

You might go to the VT MOV website and download the 38 tourist guide to Vermont sites and things to do. Shopping? Manchester is definitely one of the places to stop. Bring a some big preprinted labels to send all the stash home.
http://www.vtbmwmov.org/

If you can get a copy of Off The Beaten Path for each state you pass through you will have all the information you need and then some. I bought mine on half.com for less than a dollar apiece.

INSIDERS' GUIDE

PO Box 480
Guildord, CT 06437

Last edited:
What time of year are you planning to go? Things can be pretty cool and wet well through May.
Acadia/Bar Harbor is "off season" almost into July, and on weekends can be a crowded headache!
But Cadillac Mtn. at sunrise or sunset is incomparable. And the carriage trail at off peak hours can be magical.
Do ping me if I can be of help.

vt choice

Our favorite in VT was Rt 17 from Waitsfield to New Haven Jct- over the appalacian gap- between the quick elevation rise and the twisties you will enjoy the view even more and look forward to the descent. Burlington has the walking-bricked downtown overlooking the water of Lake Champlain- great place to spend the night; dine, shop and stretch those legs. Check the BMWON for last summer; and see where the floating bridge is; it might be on your way- (near 89 I believe).

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will definitely be ordering the tour guides. WeÔÇÖll be traveling in mid July, if Bar Harbor crowded then it may get scratched from the itinerary?
The plan is a tad ambitious, but itÔÇÖs only a plan, and after the first day on the road it always seems to get changed. :)
Thanks again,
Colin

I would highly recommend getting a hotel in Boston and spending a day or two walking around there. It's terrible riding, but excellent for walking. The Freedom Trail in Boston will start at the site of the Boston Massacre, tour Paul Revere's house in the North End and finish at the USS Constitution in Charlestown. You also have the Bunker Hill Memorial, the JFK Library, the Swan Boats, the graveyards in town and the entire city of Cambridge.

And, if you're a baseball fan, don't forget a trip to Fenway Park! It's completely unlike any other park in the country.

It'll take you a couple days, but you'll find that 11 days in New England is a looooooong time. The place is small and an ambitious rider can cover all 6 states in one day.

Also, I highly recommend getting out to Concord to see the Old North Bridge, along with the museum that goes along with it. The Lexington Batttle Green is close by and a nice day would involve both. Be sure to take the docent led tours - they provide insight about what was happening with the Shot Heard Round the World happened (even though Concord and Lexington contend it happened in their town :ha)

I'd also recommend the Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston, if you like art, along with the new Institute for Contemporary Art, which is a stunning building built right on the waterfront. Have lunch at the Barking Crab and be sure to drink too much beer. You can, if you're willing to do it right, walk back to your hotel. I like the Seaport Landing Hotel because it's reasonably close to town and isn't as expensive as the downtown ones. If you're willing to spend the money, I highly recommend the Nine Zero on Boylston. I think their website is www.ninezero.com. Great spot. Amazing service. The minibar in the room is great too. :kbasa

If you're looking for riding destinations, let me think on that, but I'd recommend Motorcycle Journeys through New England as a great resource.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will definitely be ordering the tour guides. WeÔÇÖll be traveling in mid July, if Bar Harbor crowded then it may get scratched from the itinerary?

Acadia is essential if you're going to be in Maine. Don't scratch Bar Harbor. It's only one town on the island. Get up for sunrise on Cadillac, as Irene sez. It's at 4:54 AM on July 4th. After (or before) you watch it come up, take the park loop road. It's quiet and doesn't get crazy for another five hours or more, despite the crowds watching sunrise from the mountain.

Even if it's pouring down rain and socked in, you still have to go to Acadia, and make sure to visit the Schoodic Peninsula.

More details will help

I grew up in Connecticut and lived Mass. & N.H. for 35 years and I can tell you N.E. is full of things to see. Try to provide some details on what you're interested in, I see Gettysburg is on your return list, read a book about the battle before you go and the tour will come to life for you. You can rent tour tapes and go at your own pace in Gettysburg. Boston is a must and there are places like Sturbridge Village MA on Rt 90, the Mystic Whaling Museam in Mystic Ct., there are Shaker Villages in New Hampsire and Connecticut, Strawberry Bank in N.H.. What about Newport RI, Cape Cod, maybe a ferry to Martha's Vineyard? Have you considered an overnight in New York? There is a historic museam in almost every town in New England. If I were you I would map a ride across up state NY into VT, NH, ME, down to Boston through RI, CT, and NY then down to Gettysburg so you get an idea of what is and is not possible given your time. Then ask for things to see segment by segment.

Sounds like a great ride.

Back