• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Needle Setting 1982 R100RS

jsf14469

Bike run much better in cool weather. Not always so. Have been playing with carbs and found that one needle set at two notches in and the other at 3 notches in. Anybody know which is correct?

Kurt,

Thanks for the quick Sunday a.m. reply. Carb nos. must be on the inside of carb body, will check in a bit. Interesting that the Bing info you supplied has the R100RS having a 2.68 needle jet and needle in second position, however this RS came with a 2.66 (Bing data indicates this for a R100S) and that is also what the Max fiche has. With needle set to position 2 plugs look good to me, whitish with a bit of tan, however this is above my pay grade.

The 2.66 needle for a R100S should be in the third position. May try this in a bit to see what happens.

Found it hard to hold needle and twist 90 degrees to adjust position. Any wisdom there?

I thought the carb numbers were stamped on the outside so they could be more easily read. :dunno I seem to recall the idea of using some thin rubber wrapped around the needle while pinching with your fingers. Maybe a piece of leather. Snowbum discusses it here near the bottom of the page...search the page for "push-pull" to find the section:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htm

Interesting thing about those early '80s RS ...

If you install 9.5 pistons to replace your original 8.2 versions, move the needle jet up one notch. That's all you need to do. (Bing book) ... well, and start using premium fuel.

Back