• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help planning a trip - San Antonio to Montana

kr8tr

I'm going to be riding solo from San Antonio to Billings, Montana in August. I know it'll be hot!

I figure I'll make it to Dalhart, TX or as far as Raton, NM on the first day. Does anyone know of a "bike-friendly" motel anywhere around that area? Preferably I would like someplace I can secure my R1200CLC, as it will be loaded with gear that I don't really want (or will have time) to unpack.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

lots of motels will have rooms where you can park right outside the door, and some will let you leave the bike parked right by the office.

i've gone on some trips with several duffles lashed to the bike, but it only tool me about 5-10 minutes to load them up each morning. if you;ve got more than that, will you please post a photo of your bike fully loaded? :D

I haven't tallied everything up yet, but I imagine it'll look something like this:

b8n7eq.jpg

:D

Wait a minute

That's my trip you're talking about! ;)

San Antonio to Billings, then to Glacier, then back down via Colorado....

In late August.

What are the odds?

Riding

Sturgis is going on Aug 7-13, I don't know what time of the month you're traveling, could be a lot of traffic.

Very Ambitious.

That is one long hot first days ride. I typically leave Dallas and 9.5 hours later enter Clayton NM. A bit further ride puts you into the Mountains when heading direectly west. Going to Raton is doable but you will be a late arrival. There are several Hotels there as it is a crossroads but without reservations you will be risking an uncomfortable night.

San Antone to Dallas is 4 hours. Amarillo is 6 hours more. Add two hours for legs and juice in/out, fuel and beef jerky. Not to mention the heat toll. (I have taken to putting a camelback in the tank bag in a small cooler. Get cold water to the last drop) My advice, stay there in Amarillo with a large choice of hotels and get an early start. You'll be in Raton in no time and in Denver that afternoon. You could go on to Cheyenne but you again would need Hotel reservations as it would be after arrival.

Back