• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need a gearbox part...

justabill

My rebuild project is moving along. Got into the gearbox last night and it looks great overall. Nothing scary in the mechanicals. I did have an issue with a minor leak around the internal cover plate, so I intended to remove it and replace the gasket. Unfortunately, the threaded sleeve that holds the screw was spinning freely in the cover plate. Now I see that these are basically nowhere to be found.

The part number is 23111233479 and I am only seeing it in systems where it is available to order but will obviously not actually be available as it's an NLA part.

I am going to try and run a tap through it and see if I can clean out the threads a bit and was considering soldering it back to the plate or JB weld? Would like any thoughts from the group on this.

I would also cheerily buy one if anybody has a donor gearbox laying around that this can be harvested from.

Gaarbox Cover Plate.jpeg

Not exactly sure what this part is but it might be some sort of channel to catch and let fluid drip along and off.

Since the forum isn't used to buy/sell items, my suggestions would be to look in the Used Parts section in the link in my signature line. Try contacting some of them and salvage yards to see if they might have the part. Matt Parkhouse routinely opens transmissions up and he might have some suggestions. I think he has contact info listed in the Owners News.

Not exactly sure what this part is but it might be some sort of channel to catch and let fluid drip along and off.

That is exactly what that part is for—to drip lube onto a specific area of the transmission. One of the points we always watch for and mention at Tech Day is to make sure no one inadvertently or unknowingly loosens that screw once the airbox is removed and other teardown is underway—you really don’t want that shield coming loose and dropping into the transmission.

There is nothing particularly high-tech about that part, and I’m thinking a good welding shop could braze the threaded sleeve back into place. Installation is best with clean threads and loctite.

Best,
DeVern

I would try the numerous parts recycles and shops that rebuild transmissions. It is a durable part which is probably why you cannot find it new.

Sometimes a part like that have the nut located by “staking”. You can look for what appears to be flat “chisel” marks essentially jamming the parts together with a sort of “crimp”.
If all the parts are steel, as mentioned, brazing would be a good choice.
OM

Thanks guys.

I resorted to calling around and may have a lead on a replacement. Similar to what Omega Man said, I decided to use a punch to put a dimple in the rim of the sleeve and two dimples in the sheetmetal to create a bit of a friction lock. It seems to hold and I am hopeful it will due if the replacement does not work out.

Back