• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

roamingbeemer

roamingbeemer
Hi!
Have others experienced the Nav V taking all day to update?

It is 3pm Eastern and it has been updating since 9am. It is 50 percent finished at this point so I am just letting it go. It has been one year since I last updated it so maybe that is a factor.

My internet speed is not an issue on anything else I have done today.

Loading a web page or sending an email is not likely to reveal a slow connection.

As I recall, the last time I updated my Nav V it took an hour or an hour and a half.

Harry

Loading a web page or sending an email is not likely to reveal a slow connection.

As I recall, the last time I updated my Nav V it took an hour or an hour and a half.

Harry

Mine is taking considerably longer... I tested the download with a couple of big documents which downloaded easily.

It is getting there albeit slowly.

I used to update to my computer and the device. But, the device is connected via USB and this is slower than to the hard disk.

Now, I update to the computer only and then use Basecamp (which starts up an updater program) to transfer maps to the Nav V. This is much faster.

Will be moving this over to Gear as well as adding " updating" to title to help in future searches:wave

Hi!
Have others experienced the Nav V taking all day to update?

It is 3pm Eastern and it has been updating since 9am. It is 50 percent finished at this point so I am just letting it go. It has been one year since I last updated it so maybe that is a factor.

My recent Garmin RV660.....When first (new) plugged in- software update said 3.5 hrs...about 1.5 hours.
When it went to map update- said 33 hrs...about 22.5 hours.
On DSL.
Watchcha running for a connection?
OM

Finally finished after 12 hours. I am running FL Atlantic Broadband here.

I will update it more frequently in the future.

I will try base camp next time. I just loaded it on my computer.

I was using GARMIN EXPRESS today.

I used Garmin Express yesterday and it took less than an hour. My last update was early last summer.

Finally finished after 12 hours. I am running FL Atlantic Broadband here.

I will update it more frequently in the future.

I will try base camp next time. I just loaded it on my computer.

I was using GARMIN EXPRESS today.
:thumb
At least you got it. Since my experience I have brought Fios in and things are dramatically faster. I'm supposed :eek to be paying for the 50 up and 50 down :dunno
They have 150 up and down......sort of think all of it's "specksmanship" and under ideal conditions.
I use the Garmin Express, seems to work. It was able to do that 22+ hour download and keep on track. I wouldn't have thunk it.
As far as frequency of updates, with Garmin Express, it notifies you when something is available.
OM

I've had similar experiences in the past a few times when it took a very long time for the "long overdue" updates to get done. Seems to me that it is Garmin's system for doing these udates (how their software works internally) that is likely the bottleneck, more so than your internet connection.

I assume that the OP is talking about updating maps on his Nav V, not just updating the device's firmware/software. I updated the maps on my Nav V very recently, and it did not take all that long. I have a new Mac, and I always use Garmin Express to update the maps on the Nav V and the Mac, at the same time.

My experience has been over many years, that there have typically been two types of occasions where the update for one of my Garmins has taken many hours (4+):
  1. If there was a software version update along with map updates that are more than one revision out of date
  2. No apparent reason. I have two Garmins now but used to have four and perhaps once a year one of the Garmins would go into what I'd consider a coma and take 5-12 hours to complete the updates or would simply hang and require a "hard boot" (hold the power button down until the unit cycles through a restart).
Similar issues were even more common with the many TomTom units that I had over the years. These are all great units, just not 100% bulletproof.

... It has been one year since I last updated it so maybe that is a factor...

Sorry. What are you updating? Firmwear or device maps? I'm a newbie to these devices and just curious.

They'd be referring to both.

That length of time between updates would mean that there would have been at least 4 map updates (current is 2018.10 for NA) and 2, IIRC, Software Updates (system updates - current version for Nav-V is v3.40).

Garmin Express would have had to go through both updates and the Nav-V would have to do quite a bit of work. My experience has been that Garmin software, Express, etc., seems to take a long time to do updates at the best of times, but can get really bogged down if the GPS is several updates off current.

That length of time between updates would mean that there would have been at least 4 map updates (current is 2018.10 for NA)

That's interesting. I took it for granted garmin would only upload the lasted map.

Garmin does only upload the latest map (or the map you specify). Maps always replace the previous map, not build on previous maps.

Guess I didn't word that very well Lee. ;-)

I meant that there would definitely be both a map and software update as both items on the OPs unit was several versions out of date.

Like you, I would hope that Garmin just performs the most recent update, and I think that's what occurs, but for some reason, every unit that I recall doing an update on that was more than one version off seemed to take longer than most where the update was simply to the next version. May just be my perception as I've never timed anything, but that is my perception.

Follow up to my previous post on this subject --

Yes, Garmin only uploads the latest map, overwriting whatever map you've currently loaded in the NAV5. Software updates are a different story -- they're usually cumulative, and must be performed in order. (Exception -- if a completely new version is being loaded, and you usually can't tell that from Garmin-Express). Other updates -- new languages, vehicles, POI's -- are usually additive (POI's may not be, as the list needs to be purged of non-current POI's).

Back