• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Wife got the Riding Bug!!

Brewster716

We would love to get some advice from a women's perspective on a "first bike " selection. We are really enjoying our riding and Margaret, my wonderful wife, wants to venture out with me on her own bike! She is and athletic adventurous type , but we don't want to get ahead of our skis sort of speak. My 1200 GS Adventure is way too much bike for her and was wondering if anybody had some thoughts/advice to start out on in the BMW line. Of course, she would need to test ride and feel comfortable, but we are just wondering how other women started this great ride. Thanks, Brew and Margaret:)

Okay, I am not a woman, but I am married to a woman that began riding after 32 years of marriage. Six years later she is an avid rider who has been to Deadhorse and about 30 states. Annie started on a F650GS single cylinder, now called a G650GS. It is a good bike for a new rider as it has a smooth and predictable throttle, is light and handles well. It also has the advantage of being a bike that she can stay with even after she is a crusty ole rider. Annie rode hers between Alaska and the states twice and still has hers even tho she rides an F800GS most of the time these days. One of the most important factors in selecting a bike is the seat height. If your wife can easily flat foot while sitting on the bike it will make her much more confident than if she struggles to reach the ground. The G650GS comes in factory lowered version or a regular height bike can be lowered.

Like AK, just married to one that I taught to ride when we were dating 36 years ago. Best advice, is what ever they are comfortable with. The F/G650GS singles are great bikes, wife is riding an 03, lowered slightly for her 5'1" height, and has declined when I suggested we upgrade to a newer F650/700GS twin.

The newer F700GS, F800R, or a couple year old F800S. or F800ST also great bikes. The singles will do slab, but feel busy at 65 or above, the parallel twins, will tour as well as any bike around IMHO.

When I started out riding in the 70's I thought Paul's Yamaha RD250 was way too big. And I know another rider who started with a K75S and took a trip to Alaska as she was learning. What your wife might need varies so much!

Glad to see she's looking around and asking questions. Maybe this thread will give her more ideas:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?39855-Pictures

In any event, oh, the fun you'll have!!!

Voni
sMiling

a few previous discussions:wave

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70296-Riding-with-my-amazing-wife

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?73149-Confidence-or-Cautious-or-Reluctant/page3

My partner was already a rider when we met. I learned quickly to not push her and let her ride her own pace, which now she sets regularly with me keeping up.
I think partners make the worst coaches/teachers. A course where you are not present takes pressure off as well. But that is MY experience.

Picking a machine for her also is a fine line....look at many models and let her make the decision as well....it is her ride after all. When H picked up her K12S, many of our older clubmates made some sexist comments about "too much bike for a woman" I let them know how stupid those comments were as she doesn't have the testosterone, have to prove anything gene that some of them do. They now may still think it, but surely have been proven a tad wrong when riding with us:brow
As a starter bike, the thumper F/G 650 is more than adequate for many situations for ANY ride. Helen has one she uses as much as her other rides...just laughs when it comes to passing folks on it compared to a twin or the four cylinder.

First Ride

Margaret, I don't know how old you are, but I started riding when I was 50. I bought a used Suzuki 650 Thumper from my sister-in-law. It was a great bike and I could easily keep up with other riders. Unfortunately, I listened to people who said the bike was too small and that I should move up to a bigger bike. I bought a much bigger bike way to early for my experience level. I didn't ride much for many years until I got the BMW but. I bought a used R1200RT and loved it. My partner also rides and we have been on many great trips. I ride about 5000 to 10,000 miles a years. Pretty good for living in northern Illinois.

Take the rider class if you can. Then pick out a bike you are comfortable with. Don't worry, the first couple hundred miles are always a little scary.

Enjoy

Thank you all!

My wife is definitely taking the rider course early this Spring. She will get to ride a couple different bikes in addition to getting coached by someone other than me!!! We thank you all for the advice. Happy New Year 2015. Brew

This is exciting news. I wish you and the wife the best of luck. I recently started training the wife on a F650GS. I had to make it fit her. I didn't get the lowering kit, I held off on that, I got the Wunderlich seat and clutch and brake levers to fit her hands. She was still coming up just a little short so she found some Daytona "platform riding boots". She can now flat foot the bike without the lowering kit. As it turns out an excuse to buy new boots really motivated her. She really enjoys the riding and is now one of the newest members of the MOA, for the next three years. It is very rewarding being able to see her conquer her fears and discover the excitement of riding. I wish you and the wife the best of luck. Some advice:
Help her in choosing a bike hopefully a BMW also for logistical and bonding reasons.
Make modifications to the bike or her riding gear to make it fit her.
Be patient.
Be loving.
Be encouraging.
Seek help (the foundation may provide scholarships for training BRC)
Be a mentor and allow time and space for progression in phases.
Try to put her in touch with fellow female riders or mentors either in person or via forums like this or F650.com. Her just seeing pictures and stories of other female riders and their experiences may provide that motivation on the tuff days, and it may prove rewarding for her to connect to other female riders as connecting with other male riders is rewarding for us.
I believe the title of the thread I started recently for Rhonda was "she's not in the MOA yet but..." It showed some pictures and videos of her training.
Update on her training, since my last post on that thread, we are actually riding together now, and ventured beyond the parking lot. I don't have a go pro camera so my filming/picture updates have waned.

Back