• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My two BMW's

dorongrudo

Capt. Grudo
This letter was posted at BMWLT but I thought that here is a proper place for it too.

=========

Hello to everyone.

Bought my 2002 K1200LT about a month ago. A blue beauty with 29k on the clock. PO was a very nice guy who took good care of his bikes. He just bought a newer LT. Took the bike home and parked by the manly R1200GS and the faithful K75.

Last Sunday was invited by some crotch rocket riders to go for a ride. Took the GS. Was fun till the bike died on me. After a while it came back to life but did it three more times till, at a gas station, it died and would not come back. AAA brought it back home. Seeing a R1200GS on a tow truck is a sad sight. Parked it, as is, (in a corner - facing the wall) and went to sleep. Tomorrow I am riding to New Orleans to meet my old riding buddies. I live in Tulsa OK.

Monday around noon, the LT is all packed up and we made it to Shreveport where i re-learned that cheap hotels are cheap for a reason. Tuesday we were headed to Baton Rouge when, about 50 miles from BR the red brake light started blinking. Lost my ABS and power assisted brakes. I had some residual braking power and I rode to Baton Rouge just like hedgehogs make love - very carefully. My old friend at the dealership was not surprised. It is the dreaded "canister" or something to that effect. I left the LT, rented a nice Nissan and went to meet my friends in New Orleans.

Two BMW's die on me two days apart.

The LT? when I was told $2800 I thought that the guy was joking but he wasn"t.
The GS? at the dealer here at Tulsa and nothing is wrong with it. Starts each time like it was a Honda. I left it at the dealer for further investigations.

Me? I Am Happy! Last mishap with a BMW was over a year ago in Memphis TN. My red R1200RT was totaled and I was sent back to Tulsa after 10 days in ICU. Time spent in Tulsa hospitals don't count as it is home.

Why I tell you all this? Who else would care?

91 K75
05 R1200GS
02 K1200LT

I rather be corrected than right.

Sorry to hear all that, I recieved a five day suspension, pending termination today at work, and that still doesn't sound as bad as two bikes laying down like that. Should have ridden the lowly K75? I will probably keep my job (Union) after this discrepancy, but it makes me glad that someone had a crappier day than I did. Only kidding, I would never wish bike problems on anyone. Just gave me a smile that my day wasn't as rotten as I thought it was. My poor old K75s might just get a little road trip out of this "free" time if the weather holds out here in south Texas. Smile brother, its never as bad as we think it is.

Back