• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mushroomed Valve

To my knowledge, there have been very few valve problems on the K1600. I had a mushroomed valve @ the 16K check. Only one and the more I looked at it, I remain convinced it was a minor manuafacturing error. New Valve sent from the Fatherland and installed within 2 weeks. Now have 63K miles and no other valve issues.

Its pretty strange to be reading about valves failing for what is apparently a simple metallurgical mistake on a piece that is no mystery and made at pretty close to a zero failure rate by every auto maker on earth. I can't remember the last time I touched or even heard of a new street motor with an almost immediate valve failure.

This is the kind of thing that destroys the reputation of a model if it happens to too many. Part of the early demise of the K wedges was the poor cam drive bits that broke motors- another simple item for which there is no reasonable excuse. (The rest is probably that the 6 can be made at about the same cost so provides a higher margin).

The 6 doesn't appeal to me anyway but this sort of problem is one more reason to let others ride it.

Back