• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Muffler repair ?

eastbay

2000 R1100 RT, Noticed the seam between the inner and outer part of the muffler is open. Is this something I should worry about.? It is still attached in a few spots on the top.9D1E5830-DCEC-4E65-BFD8-70C4C866815B.jpeg

I have had this happen to two exhaust systems on Voni's bikes. I found appropriate size exhaust pipe and drove it into the center of the exhaust and then sealed around it with JB weld. This has lasted several years.

I have had this happen to two exhaust systems on Voni's bikes. I found appropriate size exhaust pipe and drove it into the center of the exhaust and then sealed around it with JB weld. This has lasted several years.

Thanks I was thinking something like that. I was going to just put some muffler putty around the crack but that would probably just crack back out again I like your idea of a metal sleeve

I like good cheap solutions to common problem. I was thinking take it to a buddy for a few simple tack welds; but hey, I like jb weld. Thx Paul.:brow

How about an attractive pattern of stainless screws the proper length and diameter to wedge the pieces to center up? I was thinking 3 would do it.
OM

When that crack completes it’s journey around the pipe, vibration will go to work and break the pipe upstream of the unsupported end. Paul’s solution firmly supports the pipe and likely eliminates that risk.

Best,
DeVern

When that crack completes it’s journey around the pipe, vibration will go to work and break the pipe upstream of the unsupported end. Paul’s solution firmly supports the pipe and likely eliminates that risk.

Best,
DeVern

To add to my original post, I left about one inch of the pipe protruding rearward from the holes I drove the pipe into. I then surrounded the pipe at the muffler break with about 1/8 inch of JB Weld. The little stub sticking back looks kind of cool too.

Back