• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mudflap and Tires

Does anyone know of a reasonable used mudflap for the rear wheel of a /5? Same part number from 1970 to 1995, part number 46621230766. Hucky's has them for $55.00, but a healthy used one would do fine.

Also, I'm looking for ideas on tires for my '72 R60/5 Toaster project. It's coming along a lot quicker than I thought. Are Dunlaps decent for this bike? I'll only ride it now and then, not as a commuter. I'm trying to keep it fairly original, but want the comfort or modern rubber.

Tires

I like Dunlop K81s on /5s. They improve handling, steering and high speed stability. Don't mix them with any other tire; they have a nearly pointed profile.

So where are the pictures?:D

Oh right, I've got a ton. I'll load them on the webpage then send the link when I get home. 3 more weeks of work, then I'll have more time for that...until I become enslaved to another corporation. In the meantime, more details on the Toaster page :clap

I took a look at the Dunlop K81s Lostboy suggested, adding stability would be a good thing if I understand the /5 SWB concerns. I guess that's in keeping with the era? It was also suggested that I look at Contis and Bridgestone S11 Spitfires (which I am partial to right now). Has anyone actually had either of these? My riding style is more touring/commuting, and less on the performance side so treadware and comfort would rate high.

I cut a heavy truck mud flap, the one with black astroturf, to fit my /5. This was back in the late 70's. I painted the smooth side black and attached the roundel from original mud flap. Got some good feedback at some of the rally's we attended.

Mudflap

The front of the motor and the cross-over tube catch a lot of road grime from the front tire on my /5's. At this point, I'd think twice about drilling a fender with original paint, but otherwise, I'd fit mudflaps.

The front of the motor and the cross-over tube catch a lot of road grime from the front tire on my /5's. At this point, I'd think twice about drilling a fender with original paint, but otherwise, I'd fit mudflaps.

You are clearly refering to a front fender flap. This actually makes more sense, although most that I have seen are rear wheel flaps. I have read that a front flap provides more protection from debris for rider, bike and tires. I guess a rear wheel flap would keep your trailer cleaner.

My wife's R45 came with an dealer installed mudflap on the front fender. That was back in 1980. It is still on there. It was glued to the inside of the fender, as there are no holes in the fender at all. I don't know what was used to glue it on, but it has lasted 28 years and shows no signs of coming loose.

The mudflap was made for the dealership as it has the BMW logo on it and the name of the dealership in smaller white letters printed below the logo. Same as the mudflap on the back of the bike, just smaller due to smaller fender on the front. I am certain that a little research, and maybe some trial and error could come up with some sort of "modern" glue that would do the same thing.

Question: Does a mudflap serve any real purpose???
:usa
A 'mudflap' attached to the front fender will deflect nails among other things. That is more than theory in my experience. The dynamics of this event while under way include the nail being lifted sufficiently by the passage of the front tire that it is in position to penetrate the rear tire as it comes along a split second later...A mudflap that reaches to within a half inch of the road surface will deflect the nail away from the rear tire. The short fenders of the /7 series that replaced the longer /6 fenders require a longer mudflap which must be more rigid to keep it positioned to do any good.
A rear mudflap can keep items strapped to the rack from getting mud tossed up on them by the back tire. Mounting mudflaps usually requires drilling the fender although some early front mudflaps that were commercially available used the lower /6 fender stay attachment points.

.......snip......snip........ It was also suggested that I look at Contis and Bridgestone S11 Spitfires (which I am partial to right now). Has anyone actually had either of these? My riding style is more touring/commuting, and less on the performance side so treadware and comfort would rate high.

I've run the Spitfires before and like them really well. I now have a new set of them mounted on my barn queen project bike for the day when she's ready to roll :eat The Spitfires corner well, and deliver good milage. I don't remember how many miles I used to get on them because its been a few years since I ran them on my old /5 (it has a sidecar now, so I don't run Spitfires).

I always ran Conti's or Mich on my /5's nice soft tire good traction in the rain. Don't last as long as Dunlop’s but easier to fix if you get a flat. I tried Dunlap’s on my /7 but the 110 on the rear was a bitch to get the tire past the FD so I've gone back to stock sizes front and rear and softer rubber, the extra mileage wasn’t worth it, the bike feels much better now.. I think I have Bridgestone on the front now, with a Conti on the rear, seems to work just fine together. Main thing I look at is tread pattern, the front tires with the lateral groves tend to follow pavement grooves and metal grating which we have a lot of around these parts(VA MD PA etc) something with a cross-pattern does not and feels more stable on those as it doesn't "wonder" with the grooves.

RM

I don't know what was used to glue it on, but it has lasted 28 years and shows no signs of coming loose. ... I am certain that a little research, and maybe some trial and error could come up with some sort of "modern" glue that would do the same thing.

I recently installed one of those traffic light magnets on the lower, right side leg of my Reynolds Ride-Off, which is chromed and slippery. I cleaned it really well, then stuff the magnet on. The glue they use is amazingly strong (of course, the magnet is too) to the point where I couldn't slide it right after I stuck it on. That might be good stuff to investigate for a glue on mudflap if you don't want to drill.

I also wrapped it with two zipties...I really wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone weren't against me... :laugh

Oh right, I've got a ton. I'll load them on the webpage then send the link when I get home. 3 more weeks of work, then I'll have more time for that...until I become enslaved to another corporation. In the meantime, more details on the Toaster page :clap

I took a look at the Dunlop K81s Lostboy suggested, adding stability would be a good thing if I understand the /5 SWB concerns. I guess that's in keeping with the era? It was also suggested that I look at Contis and Bridgestone S11 Spitfires (which I am partial to right now). Has anyone actually had either of these? My riding style is more touring/commuting, and less on the performance side so treadware and comfort would rate high.

stick with those softer tires and stock sizes. I always found the SWB to handle better, less wobble in turns due to less rear-end flex. Check out and join the /5 United group on yahoo its a /5 only tech list, tons of good info, and I expect to see that machine next summer at the Festival of Fives in WV! :stick

RM

Back