• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorhome problems

nplenzick

Yea I know this is a motorcycle forum but those of you who have Rv's and those of you who think you have problems with any motor vehicle you might feel better after reading this.
Two years ago I purchased a 2003 slightly used Safari Sahara 39' Diesel pusher motorhome. I use this vehicle for my business as I travel around the country selling MC products. It replaced a gas powered 28' Winnebago Sightseer. I felt I needed to upgrade from the Winne as I was grossly overloading it since it's towing capacity was 4000 lbs and my trailer can weigh up to 6800 lbs. For the most part we had very few problems with the Winne in 56K miles.
Safari MH's were purchased by Monaco around 2001. The problems we have had with this MH are exhaustive and makes my blood pressure go threw the roof. Fan blade fracturing, replace alternator, fuel tank needing rebuilding, new radiator, and so many electrical problems that there just isn't enough of room on this forum to list them all. But last week takes the cake.
On my way to a Gold Wing event I notice the left front bottoming out on moderate bumps, I couldn't figure out what the problem was as I already replaced the front shocks with Koni's. Once I got to my destination I noticed the MH leaning to the drivers side. After some phone calls to my truck repair facility and talking to some mechanics at the rally site all felt I had an air bag control problem. We tried adjusting the left side so I could make it back home. It didn't work very well so I limped the 210 miles back to my homebase and dropped it off at my repair facility. What they found was astounding and they said they couldn't believe I didn't make it on the 6 o'clock news. The left rear side trailing arm was broken in half and the right side was broken 3/4 of the way through. For those of you who don't know what a trailing arm is, it's what supports the axle and air bag. A failure of this could result in a serious accident and or loss of control .
The thing that really gets my blood pressure going is these trailing arms were replaced before I bought this pile $hit by a factory recall. So what did they replace them with? The exact same thing !
Apparently there are many Monaco motorhomes out there that are experiencing the same thing. Someone is going to die one of these days because of this. Since Monaco went bankrupt this past year and was purchase by Navstar there's nothing that the new company is responsible for.
So now I wait for the new re-engineered trailing arms to come latter this week. Their manufactured by former Monaco engineer's who got laid off this past year and started their own business manufacturing updated parts for these RV's. There sitting on a gold mine!
So my extended warranty company ( thank god I bought one) will now have paid right around $17000 in repairs.......that doesn't include my $250 deductible.
For my fellow riders out there if you come up on a Monaco motorhome stay clear, pass it as fast as possible as you never know when these trailing arms will brake. For my fellow RV'ers out there, if your thinking on purchasing another RV I would take Monaco off your list and for my fellow Monaco owners if you have one of these coaches with this type of rear suspension have it not only checked but replaced with the new style from Source Manufacturing before something really bad happens!
Thanks for letting me vent, I feel a little better now.

I know this is a motorcycle forum...

That's what Campfire is all about...other topics.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I've always thought of RV's as being like airplanes, with numerous complex systems. When my father died a few years ago, the first thing I did as executor was sell his Itasca A Class motorhome, to a guy who was an accomplished amateur mechanic. Within a few months the differential failed...

Hopefully there is a Monaco owners group that has enough members that you can help each other sort out the problems.

That's what Campfire is all about...other topics.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I've always thought of RV's as being like airplanes, with numerous complex systems. When my father died a few years ago, the first thing I did as executor was sell his Itasca A Class motorhome, to a guy who was an accomplished amateur mechanic. Within a few months the differential failed...

Hopefully there is a Monaco owners group that has enough members that you can help each other sort out the problems.

Yea there are several MH forums and some have been of great help. Last year on my way to to the MOA we broke down. A fellow saw my posting, he tracked me down and called me on my cell. He want through great lengths to help me and it's something I'll never forget.
If airplanes were like this motorhome you would be hard press to go outside as there would planes falling from the sky everywhere.
Actually RV's really aren't that complicated and if you do the routine maintenance and keep up with things they really are very dependable. I know many who use there RV's like I use mine and when they hear of my stories they just shake their head in disbelief.
Some years ago when I bought a used 325is the sales person told me that within 3 months of ownership you'll know if you have good vehicle or not and it doesn't matter if it's a BMW, Ford or whatever. In 3 months you'll know. He was right that BMW was a great car, this motorhome is a piece of crap. Right now I'm stuck with it. I can't afford anything else and with this economy used RV's aren't exactly in demand. I guess one of these days we'll get everything corrected........hopefully.

Sounds more like a chassis builder problem than the coach builder. Freightliner builds the best platform, but others are available. Problem is weight. They take a chassis that is built to haul 25K pounds and build it up till it is constantly loaded at or above 24K, not to mention trailers, water, etc. They are bound to fail.
Keep your warranty active because a lot more will fail, and then the coachwork will start to come apart..AC, water heater, water pump, generator, fridge, etc...etc. They are a big money pit. BTDT..enjoyed it while I could, but am glad I no longer have a unit.

Sounds more like a chassis builder problem than the coach builder. Freightliner builds the best platform, but others are available. Problem is weight. They take a chassis that is built to haul 25K pounds and build it up till it is constantly loaded at or above 24K, not to mention trailers, water, etc. They are bound to fail.
Keep your warranty active because a lot more will fail, and then the coachwork will start to come apart..AC, water heater, water pump, generator, fridge, etc...etc. They are a big money pit. BTDT..enjoyed it while I could, but am glad I no longer have a unit.
The chassis builder and coach are one of the same. Monaco makes it's own chassis called Roadmaster. They are pretty good chassis except when Monaco started to make the trailing arms in house. That's when the problems started. Just like a regular house there will be problems like you suggested. I expect that and I allowed for that when I started this business. Most of the problems I have seen with motorhomes come from the lack of use. Sitting for long periods of time.
My concern is that I may be "black listed" in some sort of extended warranty data base list. My warranty company sent out an adjuster to take photos as they thought I hit something. That's the first time they did something like this. I think there getting fed up with paying the claims and I for one can understand it. Our warranty probably will run out sometime next year do to the mileage I accumulate. I hope I can get another policy when that time comes.

Nothing has ever suprassed the frustration that came with owning 3 motorhomes. We finally downsized to a class C, but they suffer from the underbuilt, overloaded syndrome that Tom described all too well. Oftentimes it's not the chassis itself but other parts that fail - automatic steps that don't come out or don't retract, lights that don't light, refrigerators that don't refrigerate, etc. Quality is not Job 1 in the motorhome industry!

Industry wide flaws!

I've been part of a RV family since my youngest childhood, now 57. I have not owned one, but most of my family does. All this is NOT new and the whole enchilada RV industry suffers this, cheap, underbuilt phenom it seems. I cannot mention here all the issues that have arized in the last 30-40 years of my family owning trailers, motorhomes and everything in between. Its a shame. You did say your previous RV was a warrior, however and did fairly well, even overworked. A positive light in a very dark room. My folks RV motorhome broke down, just 45 minutes from Johnson City this year and it never made the rally:(. Folks did though, with a rented car and a motel room nearby. I STILL love looking at the RVs, however and find them fascinating in many ways, even though I do not own one. My choice is the AIRSTREAM Trailers, if I ever do go after one. Maybe someday. These seem the best of all the trailer rigs I've seen:). My tent and GSA will suffice for a few more years:). Randy:usa:dance

When we sold the boat, we replaced it with a vintage Bluebird Wonderlodge. That sucker ran like a top even though it was already 19 yo when we got it. Everything was so overbuilt it was unbelievable. Even the Ford 530 ci gas engine was in great shape; it could suck gas with the best of 'em.

Tom

Monico

Thanks for the post- was going to look at a Monico MH today- will skip it!

Thanks for the post- was going to look at a Monico MH today- will skip it!
If I'm able to afford another someday it will be a Tiffen product. Privately held company by the Tiffen family and Mr. Tiffen still goes to work everyday.

When we sold the boat, we replaced it with a vintage Bluebird Wonderlodge. That sucker ran like a top even though it was already 19 yo when we got it. Everything was so overbuilt it was unbelievable. Even the Ford 530 ci gas engine was in great shape; it could suck gas with the best of 'em.

Tom

I talked to a fellow who had an older Prevost this past year that he bought just two years ago............talk about overbuilt! Since he's owned it he's had great luck with it.

Back