• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Insurance...RANT

??? Are you serious ??? Do you really think that ANY member-based organization actually offers insurance themselves?? Surely, you can't possibly be that naive.

With the joy of massive potential liability, having to deal with State insurance commissions, and dealing with huge quantities of litigation (and plaintiff lawyers), it's no wonder that every organization must be just rushing to get into the insurance biz! (rather than working a deal with a third party insurer to obtain some income for the organization while providing a source of insurance their members may find advantageous)

As to your "they all lied" accusation -- it's baseless. I doubt than ANY of the organizations you identified "lied" to you -- for example, I know for a fact that BMWMOA plainly states who the insurance vendor is, and I suspect that all the other organizations you mention did, too.

As for USAA (disclaimer: I'm a 34-year member) or anyone else promising "low rates," YOU are the primary determining factor as to what they charge -- your age, your location, your driving history, your collection of vehicles, your collection of people to be covered under the policy, your choices for coverage levels, deductables, etc. From there, the organizations price according to their profit goals and other factors, so some are higher or lower than others -- but the fact remains you are the primary factor.

Sorry, just not feeling a lot of sympathy for a rant that amounts to little more than "I think all the companies charge too much" and "Somebody (such as my enthusiast club) should be giving me a price down at the level I think I should be paying."
I'll jump in on the "your the main factor" idea-I was quoted in the past based on "where I live" from certain companies or even told that my county wasn't a good place to sell insurance, when in fact, "where I live" gets me a cheaper quote from other companies. It's just not that simple, so your naive thing doesn't quite float. Too avoid a decent thread going to the doghouse, I'll just say that I don't like what AARP does with what $$$ they skim from being a middle man insurance agency. They may plainly state the Hartford part but not the political aspect!

How does the $146.91 stack up with what you are paying?

Fantastic, you can brag, not complain, as I live in NJ, the 'Grab your ankles and breathe deep, you will feel some pressure' insurance state.

I have Rider insurance, $439 per annnum, for 2 unencumbered bikes (BMW 1150, Honda 700) and neither are classed as sport bikes, thankfully, else it would double.

Rider.com used to be a NJ only company, they have expanded to 7 states now, and will offer quotes for other states, according to their website.

(Rider uses motorcycle dealers as brick and mortar agents.)

My bikes are added on to my auto policy. It was cheaper than any other policy I looked at, Geico and Progressive included.

In WA state, you are not required to have m/c insurance, so not all of my bikes are insured. Just the ones that I know I'm going to take out of state. When I took the R45 to the Redmond Rally, I just went to the office and took the Rebel off and added it. A week later, I took the R45 off and put the Rebel back on.

Through State Farm:

100,000/300,000 liability & uninsured
100,000 property damage & underinsured
$100 comp deductible
$250 collision deductible
towing, roadside, etc

$163.00 2005 Honda Rebel
$261.60 1997 BMW R850R
$250.00 1998 Guzzi V11 EV

Sorry guys

I am sorry for bitching about my rates; I guess I was spoiled by being able to buy Hagerty Insurance for so long. That is what I get for selling my old airheads.

Back