• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle camping food choices

This group certainly puts me to shame with creativity when it comes to eating on the road. I carry a Jet Boil and use it for coffee and oatmeal. I also have fruit for breakfast. Other than that, I tend to eat the rest of the meals at restaurants.

However, when arriving at a rally, I'll go to a local grocery store and buy fruit, eggs, bacon, yogurt and ice. I don't trust the stability of the Jet Boil with a frying pan, so I take along a small grill. As well, any food not being eaten, gets stored in my collapsible cooler. Having a small, one wheel trailer makes carrying this gear easy. :thumb

For coffee I use a cone drip filter holder over my coffee cup. The downside to this is my filter holder is molded plastic and inconvenient to pack, but makes a very nice cup of joe.

I grind coffee beans at home, but when on the road, I grind enough for carrying on the trip. I'm not that much of a coffee purist. :laugh

In a soft kid's lunch box, I pack my coffee mug, inside my beer mug (of course with no handles). The bag coffee sits inside the coffee mug. The Jet Boil lays beside the beer mug and the molded plastic and inconvenient filter used to go into another case. However in the last couple of years, I have been using a stainless steel, collapsible filter holder. It now sits under the Jet Boil and mugs. Not as sturdy as the plastic version, but when folded flat, much easier to pack. I got this at MEC in Canada. There must be something equivalent in the US camping outlets.

Attachments

• DSC05219.jpg
    DSC05219.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 822
... snip ...
I used to use white gas or multi-fuel stoves, but white gas is a PITA to find on the road and it’s not always easy to extract gasoline from a fuel-injected bike. And the achilles heel of those stoves is the generator tube, which even with twice-yearly doses of carb cleaner mixed in with the fuel can get gummed up and inefficient.
... snip ... DG
Agreed. Most of my trips with the bike kit are extended weekends. If I need to refuel extracting gas was difficult but there is a workaround. When the quick connect fuel lines were a recall item on my R1150R I ended up with an extra set. I have a spare chunk of fuel line with proper end on it and keep it with my small tool kit under the seat. I connect it to the line to pump my tank out for storage or repair. Not my favorite option on the road but it is a way to fill a multi-fuel tank when I need to.

Isobutane/propane canisters are available almost anywhere—Walmart, sporting goods stores, hardware stores and so on, and a lot of campground stores handle them as well. Easy enough to pick up a spare as you’re riding by. And pick up a collapsible or folding wind shield even if the stove you select has one built in, as even with a built-in shield wind will dramatically reduce efficiency of the stove. And stability of your chosen stove is key, for both safety and functionality.

I used to use white gas or multi-fuel stoves, but white gas is a PITA to find on the road and it’s not always easy to extract gasoline from a fuel-injected bike. And the achilles heel of those stoves is the generator tube, which even with twice-yearly doses of carb cleaner mixed in with the fuel can get gummed up and inefficient.

For camping rides I carry a Jetboil, an Aeropress, a small non-stick skillet, a small stainless steel pot (about a quart), a thrift-store melamine plate, a few utensils and condiment containers. That’s enough gear to make a meal out of whatever I’ve packed or picked up along the way. Everything but the plate goes into a small stuff sack.

Best,
DG

My wife and I could not find an Isobutane/propane cannister in Stanley, Idaho while exploring the area in Aug 2017- mecca of backpacking, mountain biking and rafting. We are going back to a MSR white gas stove. I'm putting a spigot off the Safari tank on my ktm 690. If on the GSA - will just carry two liter bottles of gas.

ktm 690

My wife and I could not find an Isobutane/propane cannister in Stanley, Idaho while exploring the area in Aug 2017- mecca of backpacking, mountain biking and rafting. We are going back to a MSR white gas stove. I'm putting a spigot off the Safari tank on my ktm 690. If on the GSA - will just carry two liter bottles of gas. ktm 690
Per Bing facts on Stanley, Idaho
Stanley is a town in Custer County, Idaho, United States. The population was 63 at the 2010 census; down from 100 in 2000.

I'm surprised you couldn't fine a butane canister in a town of 63. :violin

There is nothing near Stanley, ID except mountains, forests and streams.

Chris

My wife and I could not find an Isobutane/propane cannister in Stanley, Idaho while exploring the area in Aug 2017- mecca of backpacking, mountain biking and rafting. We are going back to a MSR white gas stove. I'm putting a spigot off the Safari tank on my ktm 690. If on the GSA - will just carry two liter bottles of gas.

Well, if you’re going to pack fuel it would seem just as easy to pack an extra canister for the Jetboil...:scratch
Best,

DG (whistling while wandering off...)

I use the MSR Reactor stove. It is similar to the jet boil but was less expensive and it uses the more common larger size fuel canisters. I also have a campfire grill that I can utilize providing no fire bans are in place. I carry a small set of nesting pots in addition to the stoves pot. I have a Pelican case that is my entire camp cooking outfit and food stowage. The tough well sealed Pelican case serves double as being bear resistant (not officially rated as such, but I expect it would provide plenty of resistance to any bears efforts). I use a combination of dried foods like instant potatoes, minute rice, dehydrated veggies and backpacking meals as well as some canned goods like vegetables and meats. I mix my own bannock bread mix and make up a bit to cook at night saving half to have with my breakfast. Breakfast consists of porridge, coffee and juice from crystals. A few condiments supplement the flavours; peanut butter, honey, mustard, soy sauce and spices. About the only fresh food I will enjoy is fish freshly caught from the lake or stream by which I camped and occasionally some berries that happen to be in season. Shopping daily for fresh groceries does not work so well for me since I am usually well away from civilization. Lunch is just a few handfuls of trail mix and jerky usually. The other major need is clean water and for that I use a combination of chlorine tablets for general use and a Katadyn pump filter to refill my Camel Back bladder.

I use the MSR Reactor stove. It is similar to the jet boil but was less expensive and it uses the more common larger size fuel canisters.

My Jet Boil is usually attached to the larger size fuel canister. I have been carrying two of these for the last two years and the first one has yet to become empty. However, I tend to use mine just for breakfasts (coffee, oatmeal, eggs, bacon) and occasionally for an afternoon stop on the road for either coffee or tea. :thumb

After this thread, I'm going to try to be more innovative with preparing suppers and then the larger canister will definitely have a shorter life.

I use the MSR Reactor stove. It is similar to the jet boil but was less expensive and it uses the more common larger size fuel canisters. I also have a campfire grill that I can utilize providing no fire bans are in place. I carry a small set of nesting pots in addition to the stoves pot. I have a Pelican case that is my entire camp cooking outfit and food stowage. The tough well sealed Pelican case serves double as being bear resistant (not officially rated as such, but I expect it would provide plenty of resistance to any bears efforts). I use a combination of dried foods like instant potatoes, minute rice, dehydrated veggies and backpacking meals as well as some canned goods like vegetables and meats. I mix my own bannock bread mix and make up a bit to cook at night saving half to have with my breakfast. Breakfast consists of porridge, coffee and juice from crystals. A few condiments supplement the flavours; peanut butter, honey, mustard, soy sauce and spices. About the only fresh food I will enjoy is fish freshly caught from the lake or stream by which I camped and occasionally some berries that happen to be in season. Shopping daily for fresh groceries does not work so well for me since I am usually well away from civilization. Lunch is just a few handfuls of trail mix and jerky usually. The other major need is clean water and for that I use a combination of chlorine tablets for general use and a Katadyn pump filter to refill my Camel Back bladder.

That MSR Reactor is a fantastic stove. If I were buying a new stove, that is exactly what I would get. During an early spring Mt. Rainier climb a couple of years ago, one of my climbing buddies had one of those. We were melting snow for water (at around 11,000 feet) and his MSR Reactor melted the snow far more quickly than my other buddies Jet Boil...it wasn't even close.

That MSR Reactor is a fantastic stove. If I were buying a new stove, that is exactly what I would get. During an early spring Mt. Rainier climb a couple of years ago, one of my climbing buddies had one of those. We were melting snow for water (at around 11,000 feet) and his MSR Reactor melted the snow far more quickly than my other buddies Jet Boil...it wasn't even close.

Can it be turned down low for actual slow cooking? Boiling water fast is nice, but the ability to cook a pork chop slowly is more important to me.

Camp stove

MSR Reactor stove at rei $219 did not check on fuel price because the stove cost $219 reviews say not good at simmer ( not all ) can't use frying pan on it can only use pan that comes with. I drink lots of tea don't like tea made in same pot that I cooked my meal in . Finally the stove costs $219
Looked up price of 8 ounce fuel canister on amazon $24 so it cost about a $1 to boil a liter of water

MSR Reactor stove at rei $219 did not check on fuel price because the stove cost $219 reviews say not good at simmer ( not all ) can't use frying pan on it can only use pan that comes with. I drink lots of tea don't like tea made in same pot that I cooked my meal in . Finally the stove costs $219
Looked up price of 8 ounce fuel canister on amazon $24 so it cost about a $1 to boil a liter of water

Just looked and the new ones are quite different from mine. I've had mine for about ten years now. Mine is like the stove they call the pocket rocket except the pot that came with it has the heat reactor ring on the base. I can use any standard pot on the stove in its place.

And what is wrong with the eBay stoves I referenced above? $10 gets you a stove that boils water virtually as fast as the expensive ones, and the flame is easily adjustable.

And all the new stoves take compatible fuel canisters. Walmart has them for $4.97. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Butane-Propane-Mix-Fuel/20595064

Chris

I have one of those stoves. It's easy, lightweight in my pack and works well, except at high altitude. You also absolutely need to have some type of wind break and, ideally, some type of insulation around the pot if you're cooking in colder weather. At altitude, it was no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor. Just my experience.

The MSR Dragonfly runs on a variety of liquid fuels and can go from a simmer to a roaring, literally :ha, boil. Over the last 15 plus years it has been my go to stove for most of my trips. The gasoline fuel tanks I have for it actually saved my butt in the Yukon when I found an entire town to be out of fuel.. :rofl

The MSR Pocket Rocket is a small isopropane powered stove I use for a quick boil of water for coffee and oatmeal in the AM. As far as food goes, I use Mountainhouse on occasion but try to get fresh goods from local markets when available. IMHO you have to be flexible and adjust to what’s available where you are at the moment.
I find that trail mix and protein bars along with fresh fruits work well to keep my energy levels up during the day..

I have one of those stoves. It's easy, lightweight in my pack and works well, except at high altitude. You also absolutely need to have some type of wind break and, ideally, some type of insulation around the pot if you're cooking in colder weather. At altitude, it was no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor. Just my experience.

At 65, I think my mountain climbing days are about over. :) Backpacking, sure. Motorcycle camping, sure. In Washington state, it's really hard to get above 7000 feet unless you're on two feet and then only if you're willing to walk on white stuff. Probably why I never had a problem with my old stove. And probably why the inexpensive stoves from eBay will work fine for me. I would think they would work fine for most readers here actually.

One trick I learned back in the good ol' days, was to stick my propane canister in my sleeping bag. It didn't compensate for altitude like you're talking about, but it kept the pressure up so the stove functioned just fine in cold weather.

As far as the inexpensive stoves being "no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor"...that's only the high end stoves. The lower end Jet Boil stoves don't have the extra parts to make them work well at altitude...or at least that's what the guy at REI said.

Chris

At 65, I think my mountain climbing days are about over. :) Backpacking, sure. Motorcycle camping, sure. In Washington state, it's really hard to get above 7000 feet unless you're on two feet and then only if you're willing to walk on white stuff. Probably why I never had a problem with my old stove. And probably why the inexpensive stoves from eBay will work fine for me. I would think they would work fine for most readers here actually.

One trick I learned back in the good ol' days, was to stick my propane canister in my sleeping bag. It didn't compensate for altitude like you're talking about, but it kept the pressure up so the stove functioned just fine in cold weather.

As far as the inexpensive stoves being "no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor"...that's only the high end stoves. The lower end Jet Boil stoves don't have the extra parts to make them work well at altitude...or at least that's what the guy at REI said.

Chris

I'm 63, but just not smart enough to quit yet. Ha!

Agree...for most of the folks on the forum, concern about stove performance at altitude is not relevant. One exception (I'm sure there are others) would be camping at some of the campgrounds on Beartooth Pass, which is a pretty popular motorcycle touring ride. If I remember correctly, I believe there are at least a couple that are over 10,000 feet.

It's been a few years...decades actually :) ...but I don't remember having a problem with my stove at Camp Muir. Oh, that's right. I took my US Army surplus "burn anything flammable" stove. The flames when it started up, went up about a foot and I got kicked out. No one there wanted that stove there with the chance everyone would be burned out. So I cooked my food outside that night. :D If they'd only given me a few minutes more, once the burner warmed up, the flame died down to a hot blue flame. It would've been interesting to have seen what the Bleuet stove would've done though.

Chris

Back