• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh Overpants Functional Overview and Durability Report

moshe_levy

Hello All-

My new review focuses on Motoport's Air Mesh Kevlar Overpants, originally tested for the June 2012 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. These pants are a substantial investment, so I put this together so you can see how they've held up after years of abuse!

See you all at Das Rally!!

-MKL

Readers should be aware that the zipper on the right leg opens up completely, like the zipper on a jacket. This allows those of us with bad balance (that's me) to only have to step into the left leg. Once that's done, just wrap the pants around your rear end and the right leg, connecting the zipper halves at the waist, and pull it down. Much easier for me than trying to find something to sit down on, or to lean against, and put them on like conventional pants.

Readers should be aware that the zipper on the right leg opens up completely, like the zipper on a jacket. This allows those of us with bad balance (that's me) to only have to step into the left leg. Once that's done, just wrap the pants around your rear end and the right leg, connecting the zipper halves at the waist, and pull it down. Much easier for me than trying to find something to sit down on, or to lean against, and put them on like conventional pants.

I didn't know that myself. Never tried it that way. My zippers, at least, seem to stop at the very top and bottom. Am I missing something?

-MKL

I didn't know that myself. Never tried it that way. My zippers, at least, seem to stop at the very top and bottom. Am I missing something?

-MKL

My riding buddy, who turned me on to this gear, had been using them for 5 years. He didn't know either. In fact when I told him about it, he denied it, even though he checked his pair of pants. I had to show it to him, before he'd believe me.

Try running both sliders of the right leg zipper all the way to the top of the pants and hold them there with your left hand on the zipper pull of the bottom slider. That ensures that the zipper is pulled all the way up. Then pull down on the right side of the zipper where it's open. I bet it falls away. Presto, you only have to put your left left through a pant leg to get them on. Then you wrap the seat of the pants around your butt, fasten the right leg zipper and zip it down the leg. While you're bent over, zip the left leg down. Now you're dressed! lol.

It might help if you take a jacket with double zipper sliders and turn it upside down. Basically that's what the pants are.

I first saw this with the Aerostitch suits, thought it was a great idea, and called Wayne at Motoport to ask if he could customize a pair of his pants for me. He'd already thought of it and had it in production.

My riding buddy, who turned me on to this gear, had been using them for 5 years. He didn't know either. In fact when I told him about it, he denied it, even though he checked his pair of pants. I had to show it to him, before he'd believe me.

Try running both sliders of the right leg zipper all the way to the top of the pants and hold them there with your left hand on the zipper pull of the bottom slider. That ensures that the zipper is pulled all the way up. Then pull down on the right side of the zipper where it's open. I bet it falls away. Presto, you only have to put your left left through a pant leg to get them on. Then you wrap the seat of the pants around your butt, fasten the right leg zipper and zip it down the leg. While you're bent over, zip the left leg down. Now you're dressed! lol.

It might help if you take a jacket with double zipper sliders and turn it upside down. Basically that's what the pants are.

I first saw this with the Aerostitch suits, thought it was a great idea, and called Wayne at Motoport to ask if he could customize a pair of his pants for me. He'd already thought of it and had it in production.

Ha! What do you know! Learn something new every day. Re the buckle, I have heard this before, but I keep mine on the outside. I just find it easier to get in and out of, and I'm not touching my RT's gas tank (which has a tank pad on it anyway..) Granted, yes, the "right" way to do it is to have the flap covering the buckle.

-MKL

Re the buckle, I have heard this before, but I keep mine on the outside. I just find it easier to get in and out of, and I'm not touching my RT's gas tank (which has a tank pad on it anyway..) Granted, yes, the "right" way to do it is to have the flap covering the buckle.

-MKL

Those of us with more ample portable 'emergency food supplies' need the flap and the rubber covered snaps to protect our gas tanks.

MP Jacket & overpants

Have had the Kevlar Air mesh jacket & pants for 3 years....fabulous build....excellent company to deal with....could be my last warm weather gear I ever buy!!!!:dance

Back