• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: Tuesday, 5 February 2008

mika

Still Wondering
TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

golden_retriever_puppy_birthday.jpg

237640038-XL.jpg

motorionlin.com
First ÔÇ£Club BMW MotorradÔÇØ in Basilicata

The Kneeslider takes a different look at a question I have asked before.
thekneeslider.com
Are motorcycles the future of performance?

Would this be an incentive for you to buy a BMW?
londonbikers.com
BMW Motorrad Insurance Offer

ducati.com
2008 Ducati Superbike Concorso

motorcyclenews.com
Read the report TfL is hiding
ÔÇÿhe report, dated September, concludes collisions fell by 42% on routes in London where motorcycles have been allowed to use bus lanes.ÔÇÖ

amadirectlink.com
AMA seeks urgent grassroots support to end health insurance discrimination against motorcyclists

Onboard with the [MCN] 1000cc group test
<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCn0H25Yrck&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCn0H25Yrck&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>
239852398-XL.jpg

237905512-XL.jpg

BMW Sauber F1
BMW Motorsport

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Test in Barcelona - Day three
02-03-2008 Press Release

Test in Barcelona.

1st - 3rd February 2008
Day three - Sunday

Weather conditions: Overcast in morning and early afternoon, light rain in late afternoon.

Temperatures: Air: 7 ÔÇô 13 ??C, Track: 8 ÔÇô 15 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 13 (one team running only one car)

Fastest lap overall: Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing) 1:22.385 min

Circuit length: 4,655 km

Robert Kubica
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-02 / BMW P86/8
Test kilometres today: 386,365 km (83 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:22.492 min

Nick Heidfeld
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-03 / BMW P86/8
Test kilometres today: 372,400 km (80 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:22.874 min

Programme:
Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld continued work on the set-up of the F1.08 car. KubicaÔÇÖs car ran without major problems. Heidfeld encountered a minor technical issue in the morning session and did a precautionary stop on the track. When the car was back in the pits the team fixed the problem and Heidfeld resumed testing as scheduled. Both drivers worked on adapting the set-up of the car to their driving style.
In general the three days of Barcelona testing went as planned for the team. Both drivers tested different mechanical and aerodynamical solutions which put the development of the F1.08 significantly forwrad. Although the test was affected overall by low temperatures and by some rain on the last day, the weather gave the team the chance to run the F1.08 on intermediate and wet tyres for the first time. Robert Kubica did 239 laps (1.112,545 km) in total, Nick Heidfeld 208 laps (968,240 km).

What comes next:
The upcoming test for BMW Sauber F1 Team will be in Jerez from February 12th to 14th. Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld are scheduled to be the drivers.

240145086-L.jpg

boingboing.net
Chocolate biodiesel experience

This is a sample of what was the buzz around several automotive sites on Monday!
motoringfile.com
BWM Isetta set for production

Here is the originating article.
autoexpress.co.uk
BWM city car is go

autospies.com
WorldÔÇÖs fastest street legal BMW

caranddriver.com
SPIED: 2009 BMW PAS

autoweek.com
Modern turbos leave early versions in the dust

engadget.com
Automotive X-Prize challenge ignored by major car makers

autobloggreen.com
Vectix and Tesla together? ItÔÇÖs not beyond the realm of possibility.

238372550-XL.jpg

BMW Website Review:

worldofbmw.com Lettenbichler and Goblet complete IEWC series

BMW-Motorrad.co.za
BMW Freedom 14 now available for download

Sing a song of cities: Jaime Lerner on TED.com

<!--cut and paste--><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="432" height="285" id="VE_Player" align="middle"><param name="movie" value="http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/loader.swf"><PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/JAIMELERNER-2007_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="scale" value="noscale"><param name="wmode" value="window"><embed src="http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/loader.swf" FlashVars="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/JAIMELERNER-2007_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" scale="noscale" wmode="window" width="432" height="285" name="VE_Player" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>

TED: Ideas worth spreading
TED Blog,Conferences, Themes, Talks and Speakers

BMW Yachtsport

BMW Golfsport

BMW Oracle Racing

BMW Sport website

BMW PressClub

BMW Group Canada sets a January Sales Record.
02/04/2008

Whitby. BMW Group Canada (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported its best ever January with 1,259 vehicles retailed during the month, representing an increase of 8.0% when compared with January 2007.
BMW brand sales up 8.9%: BMW 3 Series and X5 lead strength in sales.

In the month of January, the BMW brand achieved record January sales of 1,102 units. This represents an increase of 8.9% over January 2007 BMW vehicles sales in Canada.

BMWÔÇÖs 3 Series and X5 Sports Activity Vehicle had the strongest sales in January, with 3 Series sales up 19.3% to 495 units and X5 Sports Activity Vehicle sales up 20.3% to 261 units over January 2007 sales.

BMW Motorrad Canada retailed 13 BMW Motorcycles in January 2008, representing a decrease of 12 units or 48% when compared with January 2007 sales.

BMW Certified Pre-Owned experienced its best ever January sales with 417 BMW Certified Pre-Owned sales, up 13.6% from January 2007. Total BMW Pre-Owned sales in January were 506 units, down slightly by 2.3%.

MINI Brand: MINI Canada achieves all-time record January sales

MINI Canada reported its best ever January sales of 157 MINIs, this represents an increase of 1.9% when compared with January 2007 sales.

MINI retailed 38 pre-owned vehicles in January, down 4 units or 9.5% over January 2007. Out of those pre-owned sales, 25 were certified pre-owned MINI NEXT vehicles, down 6 units or 19.4% over January 2007.

BMW GROUP (USA) REPORTS JANUARY SALES
02/04/2008

BMW Group sales down 22 Percent as expected for the month. MINI brand Sales Up 20 Percent for January. US full year forecast confirmed.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - February 4, 2008... The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) today reported January vehicle sales of 16,935, down 22.4 percent as expected from the 21,811 vehicles sold in the same month of 2007. Sales were impacted by lower than normal inventory levels due to a very strong retail performance in December and high demand for all-wheel drive models.

The BMW Group expects that BMW Group retail sales in the U.S. will be slightly ahead of 2007 at the end of this year.

BMW Brand Sales
BMW brand sales were down 26.7 percent, to 14,475 vehicles compared to 19,761 vehicles sold during January 2007.

BMW Automobile Sales
Monthly sales of BMW brand automobiles decreased 28.8 percent in January, to 11,053 versus 15,528 in 2007.

BMW Sports Activity Vehicles
Sales of BMW Sports Activity Vehicles were down 19.2 percent for the month, to 3,422 vehicles compared to the 4,233 reported last January.

MINI Brand Sales
MINI USA reported a 20 percent increase in January sales, to 2,460 cars compared to 2,050 cars sold in the same period a year ago.

Table: Sales BMW of North America, LLC, January 2008

Jan
Jan
%
YTD
YTD 2007
%
BMW brand

BMW passenger cars

BMW light trucks
(SAVs)
MINI brand

TOTAL Group

BMW Certified Pre-Owned
CPO sales were up 33.8 percent, to 7,313 over the 5,464 reported in the same month a year ago.

237925770-XL.jpg

The Rider: Skills, gear, accessories and more

WebBikeWorld.com:
SparX S-07 Motorcycle Helmet
RevÔÇÖit womenÔÇÖs motorcycle clothing

Wonderings:

Life has gotten in the way of the Morning Reads the last few days.

When this started I said I would do this as long as it was fun. It has become work, but fun work. It is work that on occasion is getting in the way of things that I need to take care of in life.

When the Morning Reads looses interest for me, or I feel lost in doing it I normally spend time in the forum lurking and posting more. In the past this has rejuvenated me and given me direction. Of late I find myself frustrated when I do that.

I am going to stay out of Rally and Clubhouse forums. I frankly am frustrated with all sides of all the arguments for various reasons. Enough said on that. I hope to find inspiration and rejuvenation from the rest of the areas.

So here is the deal with the Morning Reads in the near term:

They will appear; however, it may not be as regular basis as in the past, or contain all of the elements. There are other things that I want too and must do.

Stuff: Everything in place and a place for everything (including stuff)

ft.com
Google weighs in against Microsoft

wired.com
Microsoft-Yahoo could skip culture clash

mg.co.za
The little crocodile that conquered the US

M.R. Traveler

Places 2 Ride Blog

www.biker-events.com
Finding the Good Time on 2 Wheels

Horizonsunlimited.com ÔÇô Newsletter

hat2.gif

2008 International Rally
Gillette, Wyoming, July 17-20 2008

Mining The Website

A message from home, the Home Page that is.

NEW FEATURE: Picture This!
As inspired by the Forum, each month we'll provide a topic for photo contributions. Members are invited to submit one photo that best depicts the topic. Photos will be judged by MOA staff. Those selected will be featured in the BMW Owners News. Each photo must include a 50 word (or less) description, your name, member number, city, state. Topic: Where I keep my Owners News. Send your photo to picturethis@bmwmoa.org. The winners will appear in the APRIL issue of the BMW Owners News.

BMW MOA 2008 Election Information

Threads worth following:

I am a big fan of the potential for long form posts on the forum. Canadian Odyssey ÔÇô James Bay Road is a great example of this. If you havenÔÇÖt checked it out yet I am not certain your really a Morning Reader.

Photo Assignment:
Here is a link to the PHOTO ASSIGNMENT INDEX, with links to the various excellent Photo Assignment threads

Latest project: ÔÇ£Old CroÔÇØ the R-evolution

Diary of a Barn Queen

Dakar 2008

TodayÔÇÖsRoadFood.com

nwhearld.com[/ulr]
Brownies made with stout recipe

Woot

[url= http://www.woot.com/Default.aspx]Todays Woot

The Blog

182526939-M.gif

Packer News: Packers.com, jsonline.com - Packers Plus Online

Humor

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City
Sluggy Freelance
The Onion
xkcd

Bike Candy:

PA240278.jpg

From: thebikergene.com: Happiness is a hub-centre front end

THE END

Thanks for the work you've put into this. Morning Reads is the reason I log on every day. Otherwise it would be once a week or so. The Forum is a changed place from what it was a year or more ago. Not for the better, in my opinion.

John

Morning Reads

Thanks for the work you've put into this. Morning Reads is the reason I log on every day. Otherwise it would be once a week or so. The Forum is a changed place from what it was a year or more ago. Not for the better, in my opinion.

John

My thoughts exactly...I come and quickly look at the hexheads forum for any technical info and then look forward to the Morning Reads. Without M1ka's daily post once a week visit would be more than enough.

Another John.

Thanks M1ka !!!

I have only been a member since the rally in Wisconsin

I have been reading your morning reads faithfully.

Entertaining, enlightening , challenging , and i am sure time consuming........:type

Untill you are better paid please accept my
thanks for your efforts...

Ridesalot

Back