• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 28 December 2006

mika

Still Wondering
The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop for motorcycling information.

Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

istockphoto_975659_birthday_celebration.jpg

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

loonie-tic_logo_3_small.jpg

Loonie-Tic BMW Riders of Quinte West

Founded:
8/12/2002

Don "The Kiltmeister" Faichney (kiltmeister@sympatico.ca)
28 Ravine Drive
Port Hope, ON L1A 4G8 Canada
www.ltbmwr.ca

Meetings:
3rd Sunday of each month, locations announced in monthly newsletters, or contact The Kiltmeister

Events:
The 2nd Return to Trenton Rally, August 5 ?ó€“ 8, 2004 in Trenton, Ontario

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

2007design150.gif

Wisconsin State Parks and Trails

Ozaukee – Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Pasadenastarnews.com: Cities fight over taxes from a H-D dealer.

blog.thirdage.com: Can you tell a bad driver by their sun sign? I knew there are bad drivers but I didn’t know about sun signs

autopies.com: Cadillac plans to take on the BMW 3 Series and win.

autospiese.com: Spy shots of the new Rolls-Royce Cabriolet. I wonder how much they had to pay for these pre-release PressClub photos?

Beer News:

Seacoastonline.com: Smutty Brewery has record year

Rumors:

Snopes.com: Ammo Dump

Feature:

BMW C1

logo_intermot_2006.gif

This year coverage of the Intermot show and the unveiling of the new BMW models generated large numbers of threads, posts and views on the Forum. I wonder what the Forum would have had to say in 1992 when BMW introduced the concept version of the BMW C1?

119063179-M.jpg

By the time the C1 200 made it appearance to replace the original C1 125cc we may reasonably wonder what the woman in the photo is smiling about. Is she looking back at admiringly at us as the owners of this bike that truly intrigues her? Or, is she looking back at us to laugh at the odd ball vehicle while feeling a bit sorry for us in a compassionate way?

bmw_logo.jpg

From its presentation to the public the C1 presented difficulties for everyone. BMW claimed
the idea. Much would be made about the true input of BMW but they fervently claimed the idea as their own. They fervently claimed the idea, specifications and approval at all steps of the process. It was theirs! Presented as a concept at the show it was to be two wheeled transport with all the advantages that can imply with the strengths of an automobile.

119063687-M.png

The production plans that were laid out had Bertone, the Italian specialty manufacturer doing the production building of the C1. Bertone was not an unknown quantity to BMW.

In the past Bertone had provided concept car design for the automotive division of BMW and many other European manufactures. Americans are champions of vertically integrated companies that control the show from top to bottom. The Europeans seem to be able to maintain a high level of control and bureaucracy while taking advantage of flattening their companies by creating project based alliances to take advantage of specialty companies.

In addition to the design services they offered Bertone also could provide their customers with manufacturing at a variety of levels. This normally involved being a body and platform builder with the final work being completed by others. At the presentation the Italian firm proudly touted the blend of motorcycle and auto innovation they had designed and would be producing for BMW. Breaking ground in the new concept would user in a new chapter in the storied history of this specialty firm. While putting some money in their pocket from someone who’s check would not bounce.

119063679-M.jpg

The parenting analogy works until you throw the third element in the mix. Bombardier – Rotax would provide the power plant and drive train that brings this concept to life.

A strong company in its own right, Bombardier – Rotax was no stranger to participating with design and production duties performed under another brands marque. At the unveiling they wanted to be recognized as an important piece of this innovative project.

The trip from concept vehicle to road going production versions took several years. In the intervening time potential customers, dealers and the press were left to wonder about the idea. Was it a car- bike, a bike-car, urban transportation vehicle, uber-scooter or what? Mark Hammond in his article about the C1 for Motorcycle summed up the European confusion and the American reaction this way. “Whatever the Europeans decide on, you can bet if one ever washed up on American shores, it will be known simply as ‘that goofy looking scooter thing’.”

C1: Part II will dig into the work the three parents of the C1 produced.

Gear:

webBikeWorld.com: Motorcycle Bluetooth Intercom Review

Technology:

Wired.com: Canon warns of overheating cameras. It is a gear problem not a battery problem this time.

Gizmodo.com: Samsung fuel cell to power laptop

Wired.com: Alternate predictions for 2007. I love all the predictions that come out around New Years

DarkRoastedBlend: Japanese Robotics.

Manufacturer of the day:

I am replacing the word of the day with the manufacturer of the day. The word of the day was fun for a while but was becoming tedious, at least for me. I keep looking for manufacturer information on all sorts of bikes and bike products. I am going to work through my link list for you. This will be a combination of historical, specialty and main brand. Can you name the over 100 that I have on my list?

Aermacchi

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Bike Candy:

119209064-M.jpg

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

Dakar 2007

youtube.com: Popcorn Dakar. Fun video.

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

Dakar Rally News via topix.net

Mobileindustry.biz: EA launches Dakar 2007 for mobiles.

NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers – Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

119209004-M.jpg

PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

Last edited:
What I learned from MIKA today!

I remember reading that many of HD's bikes were made in Italy. For that interesting Italian connection MIKA has posted this link. I wonder what a HD-Italian design would look like today? Picture HD muscle and Italian style. :hungover

Last edited:
Mika -

What's behind the nearly invisible words just about the birthday / calendar in your "morning reads"? It so invisible, I just noticed it the other day after months of reviewing your posts. Disclaimer? Riddle? Call to aliens??

Kurt in S.A.

Loonie-Tic BMW Riders of Quinte West

Founded:
8/12/2002

Don "The Kiltmeister" Faichney (kiltmeister@sympatico.ca)
28 Ravine Drive
Port Hope, ON L1A 4G8 Canada
www.ltbmwr.ca

Meetings:
Second Sunday each month, 9 am, Mapleleaf Pancake House, Smithville, Ont
Events:
Club BBQ, Yearly mileage contest

This is the wrong information on this club!
The "Mettings" section is for the Niagara BMW Riders #298
Darryl

The Secret Code ÔÇô

I have been wondering when someone would catch me.

The web team is working on adding RSS feed for the website. The first 300 characters and spaces of the post are used to describe the title in the RSS listing. Prior to the secret code being added what came up was the code for the picture link for the birthdays and the link to the birthdays on the forum. Not real descriptive exciting stuff. I have been playing with ideas for text that describes the post. I am hoping to have it be generic so I donÔÇÖt have to update it each day. This is what is currently there.

The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop for motorcycling information

Any suggestions?

Club Information:

I sincerely apologize for my mistake. The M.R. is a one man show and points out the problem with doing your proof reading  or in this case the apparent lack there of. Thank you for pointing it out and I will correct it after posting this.

M1ka said:
The Secret Code ÔÇô

I have been wondering when someone would catch me.

The web team is working on adding RSS feed for the website. The first 300 characters and spaces of the post are used to describe the title in the RSS listing. Prior to the secret code being added what came up was the code for the picture link for the birthdays and the link to the birthdays on the forum. Not real descriptive exciting stuff. I have been playing with ideas for text that describes the post. I am hoping to have it be generic so I donÔÇÖt have to update it each day. This is what is currently there.

The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop for motorcycling information

Any suggestions?

Club Information:

I sincerely apologize for my mistake. The M.R. is a one man show and points out the problem with doing your proof reading  or in this case the apparent lack there of. Thank you for pointing it out and I will correct it after posting this.

For us non-geeks, what the heck is a RSS feed?

silk1100 said:
For us non-geeks, what the heck is a RSS feed?
Don't you just love search engines?? I still don't know what it is, but at least I can read about it. :dunno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format) (I don't know how to make this linkable...I guess the parentheses throws it off...)

Kurt in S.A.

There are several definitions for RSS. Real Simple Syndication for example.

If your browser supports RSS feeds you are given a link in your favorites or bookmarks to the feed. The feed updates itself when there are new posts. You may go to the feed and check for new posts without having to go back to the site and navigate your way to new posts. If there is a post you want to look at you can click on it and be taken to the thread.

When it was mentioned in another thread I checked on how to hook up to it. That is when I created the ÔÇ£Secret CodeÔÇØ to work on what appeared under each days post.

It is not available as a feature on the site yet. I believe it is being tested and when the site receives its next update RSS may be added then.

I am not a techie so I hope this explanation is reasonably accurate for you needs. I also hope my practicing does not create a problem for the web team. Thank you.

Nice way to wake up!

The 'Popcorn Dakar' is nice - wonderful footage.

Loonie-Tec

:type Thanks for the link to the West Quinte Cub. I have emailed Don in regards to membership. :wave :wave

Happy New Year
MIchael Richard
VE3CEH :bikes

mrich12000 said:
:type Thanks for the link to the West Quinte Cub. I have emailed Don in regards to membership. :wave :wave

Happy New Year
MIchael Richard
VE3CEH :bikes

GREAT! I have learned that area clubs are a much more valuable resource than I thought in the past. I am glad to help someone join one.

Bikenstein

Statdawg said:
Paul saw one of these in Montreal. He must have forgotten since we were headed for lunch. :dunno

Chris,

How did I miss this one? Was I munching on a St. Viateur bagel?

Breeze

Statdawg said:
Pauls trip was not with ours but an up the creek tour that was later on in the year. That fine bike was spotted on Mount Royal.

Breeze try and make the GIG in NYC. Locals going local ?

Oui, When are you going? I volunteered to sit with friedle, I'm bringing a Glock.

Breeze

This is the one from Quebec

This is the one from Quebec. Is it the same model? Brakes on front looks different.

Attachments

• 0824 Quebec 217 (2).jpg
    0824 Quebec 217 (2).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 23
Back