• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 14 May 2007

mika

Still Wondering
TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

birthday.jpg

News:

MotorcycleDaily.com - MD First Ride: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 & 1100S

Another look at the lease option for Aprilia and Moto Guzzi by WomenRidersNow.com

msnbc.com  The Colorado Springs Gazette reports their L.E.Os have given up their Harleys for Honda STs. Slap them in the forehead and tell them the could had a BMW!

AMADirectlink reviews the GSZ-R1000

Bikes in the Fast Lane ÔÇô Space age motorcycle

Cyril Huze ÔÇô fills us in on ÔÇ£Heavy Duty Military CruiserÔÇØ chic

gizmag.com Triumph Daytona 675 scoops Supertest and Masterbike awards again.

Now that you know who won, look at MotorCycleNews.comÔÇÖs video of the event.

Blog Update:

Salcar

Nate Kern

BluepoofBikes

Crusty the Biker  Umm..Ahh, No Comment

MotoLiam ÔÇô Shanghai Stories

Motorcyle Misadventures Ural 11 Back Home & video

Motorcycle Misadventures ÔÇô HeatherÔÇÖs cool Ural with wheelchair mount

motocyclebloggers.com ÔÇô Steel steeds of yore

RedlegÔÇÖs Rides ÔÇô The Giraffe is back

RedlegÔÇÖs Rides ÔÇô A ride to the Continental Divide (Loveland Pass) and Winterpark

Riode it Like You Stole It! Tan-Tar-A Resort, Lake of the Ozarks, the trip home

transversality ÔÇô By motorcycle to Seville through rural Spain, part 3

Gear:

webBikeWorld.com ÔÇô Teknic Road Iron motorcycle gloves

webBikeWorld.com ÔÇô Nolan N102 Review

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

Bikes in the Fast Lane ÔÇô Problem solving your BMW motorcycle

Riding Skills:

AMADirectlink.com ÔÇô Motorcycle awareness: Your Ideas

Biker and Motorcycle Related Legal Articles ÔÇô What should you do if a car or truck its tailgating you while you are riding your motorcycle.

Wonderings:

Is Paul Yaffe trying to remind the motorcycle riding public to:
A ÔÇô Wear helmets, or
B ÔÇô Fill out a donor card

By way of the Uncaged Librarian ÔÇô Paul YaffeÔÇÖs newest gas tank creation.

M.R. Traveler

ViaThe BikerWebBlog ÔÇô Find clean restroom facilities while traveling beatnikbiker.com

TodayÔÇÖs RoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City

All things BMW

AmericaÔÇÖs Cup:
Sail-world.com ÔÇô BMW Oracle zones in on the Semi-final target

Formula 1
BBCMotorsport.co.uk ÔÇô Lap watch of the Spanish GP

BMW Sauber F1: Website

Kubica finishes fourth in Spain

In a thrilling Spanish Grand Prix, which was won by Ferrari's Felipe Massa, the BMW Sauber F1 Team secured its fourth consecutive fourth-place finish. This time it was Robert Kubica's turn to finish fourth while Nick Heidfeld, fourth in the first three races of the year, had to leave Barcelona empty-handed.

For the BMW Sauber F1 Team, the Spanish GP turned out to be a race of mixed emotions. On the one hand, the Munich and Hinwil based squad can celebrate another five World Championship points, thus consolidating its position as "third power" on the 2007 Formula One grid. On the other, an even better result should have been possible for both Robert and Nick.

The first start had to be aborted due to a problem with the Toyota of Jarno Trulli, who had qualified sixth on the grid. Consequently, Nick gained a place even before the lights went off after the second formation lap. Both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers defended their positions. When Fernando Alonso (McLaren) had an off-track moment at turn one, following a battle with Felipe Massa (Ferrari), the pairing came extremely close to passing the reigning World Champion. However, the Spaniard returned to the track just fractions of a second too early and Robert and Nick both had to brake hard to avoid an accident.

Subsequently, they continued in competitive style. When Ferrari's Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen had to retire on lap ten, both of them gained another position, coming in for their first pit stops from fifth and six positions respectively. Robert was the first of the two drivers pit on lap 22, and rejoined the race in fourth position behind Fernando Alonso, who had made his stop two laps earlier. Throughout the second stint, Robert was able to match the pace of the World Champion, and follow the Spaniard like a shadow - but was unable to pass him for third place. Following the second set of pit stops, Robert settled for defending fourth position. In the end, the 23-year-old secured his best finish of the season.

Nick, however, wasn't so lucky. The German was the last of the front-runners to come in for his first stop on lap 24, and thanks to the fast laps he had set prior to his stop, he might have returned to the race ahead of Alonso. But it wasn't to be. He got the signal to rejoin before the wheel-nut of his right front wheel had been fixed. Therefore, he had to lap the "Circuit de Catalunya" at extremely slow speed and come in for another stop, one lap later.

Due to this incident, Nick dropped back to 15th position. On the laps that followed, he displayed a lot of fighting spirit and worked his way back up to 12th position - but on lap 48, a technical failure forced him into early retirement.

Obviously, this retirement was a downer for the BMW Sauber F1 Team. However, at the end of the day, the team could be satisfied with the fourth place scored by Robert and the continued improved competitiveness displayed throughout the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.

Reactions to the Spanish GP

The Spanish Grand Prix was the fourth race of the season and for the fourth time the BMW Sauber F1 Team had a car finish fourth. This time it was Robert Kubica who contributed the five championship points to the team's tally. After 46 laps Nick Heidfeld had to park his BMW Sauber F1.07 in the garage with a suspected gearbox problem.

Robert Kubica: "I am very satisfied because this is my first race this season without any problems, and you can see the result. Today everything came together for me. I could fight for top places, and that is what I did today. I had quite a good, consistent race, although I had some problems with tyre degradation in the second stint when I was behind Alonso and Coulthard was closing the gap, but everything was under control. In the end, after the second pit stop, I tried to push and make the gap to Coulthard bigger. Now we have to continue working in this direction."

Nick Heidfeld: "In the end it was most likely a gearbox problem that stopped me, but unfortunately my race was over much earlier after the problem during my first pit stop. For some reason the front right wheel was loose, we have to look at it how this happened. For the first 24 laps until this stop it looked superb for me. I drove a long first stint and my second stint would also have been a long one. On top of this Alonso was not very quick on the harder tyres in his second stint. I believe I had the chance to finish on the podium today."

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): "We view the result with mixed emotions. Eight cars retiring was a lot today, and sadly we were among them - most likely it was a gearbox failure. But as disappointing as this is for us and for Nick, it was a positive result for Robert. He scored our fourth fourth place today, drove a very good race and our team is now established as the third strongest. At the end of the day the result is pleasing. "

Willy Rampf (Technical Director): "After a race like this I have mixed feelings. Robert drove a strong race and deserved fourth place. Nick was also in a good position before his pit stop. We then had a problem fitting the front right wheel nut, had to bring Nick in one lap later and, as a result, his race was ruined. After 46 laps a technical failure forced him to retire. However, on the positive side we are pleased with five more championship points."

BMWOracleRacing.com the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup website.

The 32nd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup Official Website

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

club:
BMW Dutch Country Riders, #56

founded:
12/1/1975

Ron Maseda (bmwdcr@yahoo.com)
2153 Huntingdon Rd
Dover, PA 17315-3637 US
autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMWDCR/

meetings:
Members meet socially over breakfast on most Sundays at 9 to 11am, at the Rossville Family Restaurant, intersection of PA 74 and PA 177. Rides after breakfast. Second best contact is to visit the webpage and then send an email to the club. Send an email for information on formal membership business meetings.

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

Wisconsin Rustic Roads ÔÇô Southwest Region.

I spent this past weekend surrounded by 868 miles of Gem??tlichkeit while I toured all of the Rustic Roads in the Southwest Region of Wisconsin.

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

Travel Information ÔÇô Driving Conditions and other related information sites.

Bike Candy:

152392775-M.jpg

Even baby bikers donÔÇÖt want to go back to work on Monday morning!

THE END

Riding Skills

What can we do about those tail gaters?

Drilling down through Morning Reads ...

the reader finds:

The first thing that every motorcycle rider knows or should know, is that no matter how big, tough, muscle bound, and bad assed you are, grandma driving her 1980 Buick can easily take you out with just a slight press of the gas pedal or a flick of her wrist on the steering wheel. This also goes for the 16 year old school girl on her cell phone. If you do not know this fact, than you should not be riding a motorcycle. The bottom line is that any time there is a situation where a car meets a motorcycle in an accident, the car will always win. This fact should be self evident.
Your goal as a biker and a motorcycle rider is to avoid impacts with cars at all cost, even if your ego is bruised, and even if you have to give way.

With respect to the legal ramifications of letting a tailgater pass, there are numerous reasons why it is better to let them pass, and let it go. The number one reason is that you do not want to end up in the hospital or lose your life, just to prove a point that you own the lane and have the right of way. Your job is to ride your motorcycle, and to not get jacked up in the process, so that you can live to ride another day!

Last edited:
Gs-911

Hey, Tessler, the next time we wind up in a black hole for cell phones they will still be good for something.

GS-911-mobile2.jpg

But the folks at Hex Diagnostics in South Africa have got THE solution for you. They've produced a small tool, called the GS-911, that connects to your BMW motorcycle.

The BMW models supported by the tool are:
R1200GS Adventure, R1200GS HP2, R1200GS, R1150 Adventure (single and twin spark), R1150 (single and twin spark), F650GS/Dakar (single and twin spark), F650CS, C1, C1-200, R1200R, R1200RT, R1200S, R1200ST, R1200GS MegaMoto, R1100S ,K1200GT, K1200R, K1200R Sport, K1200S, K1200LT, K1200RS, and K1200GT (non-CAN).

GS-911-toolset.jpg

Hex's GS-911 with mobile phone
They have two versions of the tool;

one that connects to your computer via USB, and one,

surprise, surprise, that connects to your mobile telephone via Bluetooth (your mobile phone must be able to communicate via Bluetooth, and must support JSR-82 Java - a list is available on their FAQ, but for example, a BlackBerry will work).

The USB version cost (for the moment) US$199 while the Bluetooth version costs US$249.
Might make a good club purchase that could be shared with members or used for those workshop days.

Nice find Mika!

Last edited:
Hey, Tessler, the next time we wind up in a black hole for cell phones they will still be good for something.

GS-911-mobile2.jpg

Might make a good club purchase that could be shared with members or used for those workshop days.

Nice find Mika!
I could use that even when not riding :)

Hey gang the ride was great. I left late Friday afternoon and came back late Sunday. I covered many rustic roads and double letter county roads. What a blast. I am planning to role out some information about the rustic roads in future reads.

Back