• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Modulator burned the wiring harness

M

mayojuaf

I have a 2002 R1150 rs with a modulator and a self canceling turn signals. When I bought the bike in 2005 they were already installed. 3 weeks ago while I was riding not too far from home, the horn went crazy and smoke started coming under the gas tank. The dealership says the modulator burned the whole wiring harness. It is a fact that the harness is burned as the insurance saw the damage and is paying for the repairs ($2,000)
The question is can the modulator really burn the system? should the fuses take care of any over voltage or amp issue? if this has happened to anyone else, should be a head's up to anyone thinking on installing one.

I doubt the modulator or the signal cancelling system did any damage. I have both on my 2002 RT for several years without any issues and also on my VFR. They work well on my bikes.

I've seen several R1150 wiring harness issues firsthand. I'm not too impressed with their robustness, and I would absolutely NOT add anything that drew current from a low-current circuit like the parking light.

Back