• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Modifying OEM CD player & radio

jstrube

John.
OK, my factory CD player sux a bit, it skips at times. I've since moved on to the iPOD generation & would like to integrate this with my OEM stereo to hear music from the speakers. I took the unit out of the box to check it out & found a set of empty plugs, & holes in the plug that is there.

Now, the buttons say AUX, but there is no AUX input on the bike... I assume you could plug into the pins somehow. Also, how about output? Anybody in the car stereo biz that can help?

I have entertained replacing the unit, but then would lose the nice display on the dash & might futz up some buttons. I do wish the CD wouldn't skip as much though, any solutions?

If not, oh well, I'll just use the helmet speakers, but I want to be like those annoying guys at stop lights blaring John Coltrane...

Here is the box for those who haven't seen it:

My dealer in Modesto, CA had a cable in stock that plugged into the CD part of the radio on my R1200RT. They led the cable out and I plug it into my iPod. I found that for full volume I needed to get a cheap boostaroo amp and put that in the line, but the set up works well either with the speakers or with the helmet speakers.

I talked to Gale in Modesto. I think he said the cable was about $150 or so... Just seemed pricey. If I knew which pins it connected to, I could just use spades. I should just take it all apart... Maybe next time I have the plastic off...

That's interesting it isn't loud enough, the radio seems to get enough volume. I might just stick with my helmet speakers & use only the radio in the bike. The CD player skips too much for my taste. No excuse for that, this was built in 2005, those problems disappeared from aftermarket cd players over 10 years ago...

This post may seem a bit provocative or unsettling, but in my 30 plus years owning, riding, and repairing BMW motorcycles I have never seen a sound/music system that worked well enough or was trouble free enough to be worth anything to me as a rider. Some worked OK some of the time.

When you add in the desire to have trouble free communications between a rider and a passenger things get worse. And bike-to-bike communications is sufficiently fraught with failure and frustration to write several books about. Even systems that cost more (for 2 bikes) than any of my motorcycles are worth can't be counted on to finish a two-week trip. Just ask any of the Iron Butt Rally riders how well their systems worked.

Paul,

I don't doubt it... THat's why I hesitate to spend too much... I have a Scala & can plug my tunes into it. It seems to work pretty good bike to bike so far, but we don't have a ton of time on them. I like music, if I can get some in my helmet, I'm a happy camper, so my speakers fit the bill. I probably won't spend the $150 to wire into my stock unit, it just sounds OK & can piss off drivers when you come to a light... Not everyone wants to listen to Coltrane...

I am perfectly happy with the radio/CD on my RT. It works great and the CD does not skip. With the CalSci windscreen I can hear the radio now even at highway speeds. I just wish I had XM radio built-in. I had a 2006 Honda Lead Wing and the only thing I liked about that bike was the radio system. For what BMW charges for the radio/CD they should have included XM radio. I have connected my cheapo mp3 player via the cord in the CD compartment. It works good but I can't change the tunes unless I open the compartment and manually do it. I have about 300 + songs on some CD's and that works good for me.

Back